Turkana Basin Institute is an independent, international research institute, which facilitates scientific research in the Turkana Basin, with particular emphasis on prehistory.
The institution is looking to fill the following position.
A seasoned and results oriented Chief Financial Officer.
This position will be based at the TBI Nairobi Office.
This position will report to the Chief Executive Officer & the board and will be responsible for advising the CEO and Board on all financial matters.
- Plan for TBI’s future financial needs, work with the CEO and the board on the scale of needs and how to finance them.
- Work with reservations, Air Turkana, microCT manager, field station managers to look for opportunities to increase efficiency, reduce costs, and grow revenue.
- Oversee the development of TBI’s annual budget proposal to the executives and board.
- Oversee implementation of budget and monthly budget monitoring.
- Work with the Budget Officer to develop a budget plan by the stated time each year based on budgeted and actual expenditures for Q1, Q2 and Q3 of the current year and Q4 from the previous year.
- Ensure that monthly budget monitoring reports and recommendations for budget adjustments for future quarters based on deviations from the budget plan are produced for the executives and relevant board members.
- Ensure that account directors for TBI and other projects whose funding is managed by TBI receive monthly (or quarterly) reports on the status of their funding.
- Oversee all the bank accounts.
- Maintain all the accounts for TBI Ltd and ensure ready accounts for the board and the annual audit
- Oversee all aspects of payroll and reimbursements.
- Oversee all expenditures.
- Review major expense categories and preferred providers to ensure efficient use of TBI funds
- Review all major contracts, leases and agreements to ensure the best use of TBI’s financial resources.
- Review and monitor all Air Turkana financial aspects.
- Work with executives, board and facility manager on all financial aspects of the MicroCT facility.
- Maintain oversight of TBI Sacco expenditures.
- Report on funds available for TBI staff training via the training levy.
- Oversee analysis of TBI records of activities with emphasis on finances and numbers.
- Carry out analyses of the utilization of TBI vehicles
- All other related assigned tasks
Required Skills & Experience
- A Master’s degree in Finance/ Accounting or any other related field
- CPA (K)
- Membership to Institute of Certified Public Accountants of Kenya (ICPAK)
- At least 8 years working experience in finance, with 5 years at senior management level.
- Strong leadership, organisational and communication skills.
- Ability to meet tight deadlines which might result in putting in extra hours
- Demonstrable competency in Strategic Planning and Finance
- Ability to use computerized financial/Accounting programs
- Excellent interpersonal skills and strong relationship builder and communicator.
- Analytical and decisive decision maker with the ability to prioritize and communicate to staff key objectives and tactics necessary to achieve organizational goals.
- Demonstrates integrity.
- Demonstrates entrepreneurial, flexible and innovative approach to operational management.
Prospective applicants need to provide the following documents:
- A detailed CV/Resume that highlights experience and qualifications as outlined above and indicating the expected gross salary
- Three signed letters of reference/recommendation, including full contacts of the referees.
Please email applications to firstname.lastname@example.org by the 28th October 2018.
Note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.