The Wood Foundation Africa
Job Vacancy: Regional HR Risk and Compliance Manager
The Wood Foundation Africa (TWFA) is a subsidiary of The Wood Foundation,a Scottish registered charity based in Aberdeen, Scotland, with a regional headquarters in Nairobi, Kenya.
The Foundation takes a venture philanthropy approach, aiming to improve livelihoods by stimulating viable market opportunities that will in turn create jobs and generate wealth among the rural poor.
To achieve these objectives, TWVFA operates with a variety of market facilitation tools, including debt, equity, matching grants, loan guarantees, technical assistance, or any other mechanism required to buy-down risk, stimulate investment, encourage innovation, and develop competitive industries.
Based in Nairobi and reporting to the Director of Africa, the Regional HR Risk and Compliance Manager will be expected to work and engage with a broad spectrum of country-level offices, businesses, and partners to provide human resources and risk management expertise in a wide range of areas.
Specific Responsibilities include:
- Full-Cycle Recruitment — Draft position descriptions and manage recruitment efforts in coordination with senior management team.This will include interviews and vetting, development and issuance of employment contracts, maintaining and managing staff HR files, termination proceedings, and conducting and analysing exit interviews. Ensure adherence with local labour, employment, and immigration law as appropriate.
- Performance Management — Coordinate staff performance appraisals with senior management teams. Assist line managers with effective KPI development during annual appraisals and advise on effective HR planning strategies to maximize performance .
- Compensation and Benefits – Advise on harmonizing compensation and wage structure where appropriate. Liaise with headquarters on accurate and timely processing of staff payroll as well as pension and insurance scheme. Maintain leave records.
Staff Development and Employee Engagement — Analyse professional development needs in coordination with senior management. Be responsible for hearing employee grievances, as well as advising and participating in disciplinary procedures.
- Health and Safety – Oversee Health & Safety policies and ensure adherence.
- Safeguarding, Risk Mitigation and Compliance —Assist in the development and institutionalization of safeguarding measures throughout the organization, which is operationalized through areas such as conduct and ethics training, HR policies, and regulatory procedures. Work with TVVFA employees, partner organisations, beneficiaries and suppliers to ensure safeguarding as well as core values of the organization are understood, practiced, and maintained.
The candidate shall be a polished Human Resources professional, of unquestionable integrity and character.
The candidate must be available for frequent travel within the region and be able to engage in a multi-cultural environment.
Minimum qualifications include:
- Advanced degree in Human Resources, Business Administration, or related field. Relevant HR certifications a plus;
- At least 7-10 years of proven Human Resources leadership and management experience in a dynamic organizational setting;
- Knowledgeable of standard organizational policies, and familiarity with East African labour and employment law;
- Skilled in safeguarding, grievance and arbitration, conflict resolution, and/or problem solving, including crisis management;
- Excellent communication skills, as well as experience in personnel training, facilitation, and coaching;
- Ability to work independently, as well as communicate and perform in a multi-cultural setting; and
- Excellent command of English is essential. Kiswahili preferred.
How to Apply
Interested applicants with the requisite skills and qualifications are asked to submit a cover letter along with a CV and references to heIen.emukuIe@thewoodfoundation.org.uk before the deadline of 26 October, 2018.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.