United Millers Limited
Job Title: Food Safety Officer
Reports To: Mill Manager / QAM
The Food Safety Officer is the appointed Management Representative with the authority and organizational independence to ensure the maintenance of the Quality, Food safety and Environmental management Systems.
Essential duties and responsibilities
- Preparation in conjunction with departmental heads, quality, food safety and environmental system documentation, based on identified processes, significant aspects and legal considerations (all SOPs).
- Issuing of quality, food safety, environmental system documentation and operation of change control procedures.
- Formulation and implementation of the internal quality and food safety audit plan.
- Reporting on the status/performance of the Quality, food safety and Environmental System, through periodic Management Review meetings.
- Maintain records of Management Reviews, system deficiencies, and corrective actions.
- Liaising with external parties, on matters relating to the Quality, food safety, and Environmental Management System.
- Assist in conducting customer visits and implement customer complain handling procedures (CAPAs)
- Take the Leadership role of the food safety team as required by ISO 22000
- Take an active part in ensuring that the company Food Safety Policy is implemented, communicated in the organization and continually improved.
- Carry out internal audits of the Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP), Food Safety Management Systems (FSMS), report findings to the Food safety Team, and the process owners.
- Regularly review the Food Safety Management System especially the HACCP Plans to verify the effectiveness, relevance, adequacy of the controls, and recommend improvements.
- Where applicable, do supplier audit and provide feedback for the same.
- Promote Good Manufacturing and Hygiene practices at places of work.
- Responsible for overseeing destruction of expired materials /or finished products in line with the applicable guidelines and in a timely manner.
- Ensure nonconformity and corrective Action is effectively implemented, verified periodically as per schedule, through regular self-inspections and random checks in production areas.
- Create training content, training schedules, assist and support in training of new employee as well as refresher sessions for existing employees in regards to GMP and HACCP.
- To oversee implementation of all data risk assessments and root cause/CAPA systems in order to provide assurance of data integrity.
- Perform mock recalls, ensure identification, labeling, and traceability system functions as planned.
- Conduct HACCP team meetings periodically
- Analyze processes, identify trends, anomalies, and continually evaluate plant programs for improvement
- Perform other duties assigned by management
- Receive suggestions and recommendations from other workers and forward the same to the Food Safety Team.
- A bachelor’s degree in food science, biochemistry, nutrition, analytical chemistry or a related field is required.
- A minimum of 3 years of food safety experience in HACCP.
- Must be a trained internal auditor.
- Comprehensive knowledge on ISO 19011:2011, 22000:2018, 9001:2015, 14001:2015.
- HACCP or GMP certification is an added advantage.
- Have strong communication skills and proficiency in English and Kiswahili.
Candidates who meet the above qualification should send their application attaching their CV, cover letter and send them via email to the firstname.lastname@example.org by 7th Nov 2018 at 5.00pm, indicating the position applied for as the subject matter.
Due to the high volume of applications, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.