University of Nairobi
Declaration of Vacancy for the Position of Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Finance, Planning and Development)
The University of Nairobi continues to undergo a purposeful, decisive, and aggressive transformational change. This has enabled the University to ensure that the physical capacities, quality and availability of staff and relevance of academic programs are in sync with the ever increasing demand for access to higher education and leading for excellence.
The University is now seeking to appoint a Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Finance, Planning and Development) who, under the direction of the Vice-Chancellor, shall be the Head of Finance, Planning and Development Division in the University.
For appointment to the position of the Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Finance, Planning and Development), a person shall:
1. Be a Professor of the University of Nairobi serving on permanent and pensionable terms and a holder of an earned Doctorate degree or equivalent qualification from a University recognized in Kenya;
2. Have thorough knowledge of the structural, legislative and regulatory framework for administering University Education in Kenya;
3. Have at least five years hands-on experience at a senior level in a University or equivalent institution with demonstrable leadership and management capacity including knowledge of public financial management and strategic people management;
4. Be an accomplished scholar with proven track record in formulating and managing academic programs and supervising and mentoring Masters and PhD students;
5. Have a proven track record of research and publications in peer reviewed journals, monographs and books;
6. Have demonstrable experience in networking, fundraising and resource mobilization;
7. Meet the requirements of Chapter Six of the Constitution on Leadership and Integrity; and
8. Have a demonstrable experience in transformative and strategic leadership.
The following core competencies and skills will be required for the position of the Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Finance, Planning and Development):
1. Ability to portray and uphold positive national image and work in a multi-cultural and multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity to and respect for diversity;
2. Being a visionary and results oriented thinker;
3. Excellent organizational, interpersonal and communication skills;
4. Capacity to work under pressure to meet strict deadlines; and
5. Firm, fair and with transparent management style.
Duties and Responsibilities:
As per the Charter and Statutes of the University of Nairobi, the duties and responsibilities of the Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Finance, Planning and Development) shall be:
1. Management of Finance, Assets and Development Plans;
2. In charge of designing, modeling and managing long-term financial and physical plans;
3. In charge of optimal utilization and investments of the University’s finances and assets;
4. In charge of annual budgeting, planning, monitoring and management strategies;
5. Responsible for provision of accurate and current financial information to support decision making;
6. Shall be responsible for appropriate Finance Management Policies and procedures in conformity with the Constitution of Kenya and relevant laws;
7. Perform any other functions pertaining to Finance, Planning and Development; and
8. Carry out such other duties and responsibilities as may be delegated by the Vice Chancellor.
As per the Universities Act 2012, University of Nairobi Charter and Statutes the Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Finance, Planning and Development) shall hold office for a duration of five (5) years with the possibility of one time renewal for a further term of five years subject to a positive appraisal by the Council.
How to apply:
1. Each application shall be accompanied by a detailed Curriculum Vitae, Copies of Relevant Academic and Professional Certificates, National Identity Card or Passport, Testimonials, and other relevant supporting documents.
2. Applicants should submit ten (10) hard copies of their applications which should clearly be marked “Application for the position of Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Finance, Planning & Development)”.
3. Applications must be submitted on or before Thursday, October 18, 2018.
4. Applications should be addressed to the Vice-Chancellor, University of Nairobi, P.O. Box 30197, 00100 Nairobi.
Note: The University of Nairobi is an equal opportunity employer.
Women, the marginalized and persons living with disability are encouraged to apply.
For more details, please visit our website at http://jobs.uonbi.ac.ke