Amref Health Africa
Job Title: Advocacy Manager
Reporting To: Chief Programmes Officer
Directorate / Unit: Chief Programmes Officer’s office
Physical Location: Nairobi
Main Purpose of Job: The Advocacy Manager will play a key role in determining where we now take our global policy and advocacy work, and how we work with our country hubs around the regional and national policy-making, monitoring and accountability for the implementation of the Advocacy agenda.
The role holder will also double up as the lead advisor on emerging policy and advocacy across the organisation, coordinate specific influencing opportunities and ensure a coherent approach for policy and advocacy through key networks and coalitions.
1. Common Objective: Shared Goal
Key Result Area: Strategic Planning
- Lead the execution of strategy, in partnership with the country offices, other HQ units, NA & E and the Communications team, with a focus on key government leaders, NGOs, and funders.
- Manage the development and implementation of Amref’s Advocacy agenda in close collaboration with the country offices, other HQ units, NA & E, NGOs and funders.
- Working with senior management to broaden understanding of strategic and operational Advocacy issues
Key Result Area: Create alignment within Amref
- Coordinate the Community of Practice existing of advocacy focal staff in relevant country offices and HQ units
- Coordinate presence at (inter)national conferences to align to our advocacy agenda
2. Common Objective: Builds systems to enhance Amref effectiveness
Key Result Area: Partnerships
- Manage high-profile engagements on community health policy at the global level, including influencing agendas to raise awareness about the importance of effective community health programs within the UHC framework.
- Build relationships with key partners and stakeholders within the civil society / NGO community, parliament, policy makers, as well as with local and international institutions; establish and deepen relationships and develop joint political and policy advocacy activities beyond project specific activities
- Provide oversight of the relationships with civil society partners, regional bodies and consultants and ensure timely execution of joint work plans. Identify and bring on board new partners as needed
Key Result Area: Planning and organising
- Plan and coordinate implementation of global advocacy activities.
- Support COs in convening multi-sectoral national-level group of key stakeholders to advance the health Agenda and leverage opportunities at international level in coordination with other HQ units
- Develop, implement and monitor annual advocacy programmes and budgets, mentor and coach advocacy team members, and ensure coherence across country-based, regional and global advocacy activities
- Model collaborative cross-organisational and interorganisational working to promote the advocacy agenda
Key Result Area: Policy development
- Support in policy development in Advocacy
- Maintain a working knowledge of relevant issues, laws and regulations within health through periodicals, seminars, training programs and peer contacts in the Advocacy sphere
- Collaborate closely with research and advocacy teams to develop research for policy briefs and translate advocacy results into concrete policy briefs/reports and share across the organisation
Key Result Area: Reporting / Information management
- Produce periodic standard and ad hoc reports on advocacy initiatives
- Prepare management reports regarding advocacy initiatives and progress
- Maintain necessary records and files to assure efficient and consistent reporting of advocacy efforts across the organization
3. Common Objective: Build and agile Amref capable of sensing and responding to challenges
Key Result Area: Networking and representation
- Represent the organization externally at meetings and events organized and/or attended by key advocacy stakeholders
- Share and leverage evidence, engage directly with key stakeholders, cultivate and leverage champions,
Key Result Area: Technical Support
- Provide technical support to country offices to implement advocacy activities in coordination with other HQ units
- Provide technical support in identified advocacy capacity gaps at country offices
Key Result Area: Resource mobilization
Works cross-departmentally to create funding proposals for new and existing Advocacy projects;
4. Common Objective: Invest and enable passionate and outcome driven associates
Key Result Area: Capacity Building
- In collaboration with ICD, develop a training plan and collaborate with internal stakeholders to develop training content, acting as subject matter expert and facilitate delivery and tracking of training
- Works with civil society actors to strengthen their abilities to communicate (to various audiences using audience-appropriate media)on the importance of health rights
5. Common Objective: Build Sustainability
Key Result Area: Communication
- In liaison with Communications and other HQ units develop and disseminate communications and outreach materials such as briefs, policy documents, newsletters, info graphics, websites and social media bulletins in collaboration .
- Additionally deploy strategic communications, speak and publish across influential platforms.
- Plans, designs and implements strategies for communications and outreach for public awareness concerning health rights, government commitments under the Advocacy Agenda, and the progress African countries have made over time towards such commitments.
Education and knowledge
- Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Science required in a related field such as public health, international relations, gender studies, political science, or human rights;
- Master’s in Public Health, International Studies / Relations and or related field
- At least 7 years of experience working in advocacy and/or public affairs aimed at influencing policy change.
- Knowledge of international health and development issues at the global level
- Experience in policy influencing in Africa
- Ability to work autonomously combined with experience working remotely and in support of programs abroad.
- Experience developing and managing efforts to influence policymakers, NGOs, and other external stakeholders.
- Excellent communications skills
- Good interpersonal skills
- Collaborating, influencing skills
- Highly organised
- Training and presentation skills
- Project management skills
- Problem solving skills
- Proficiency in ICT
- Detail oriented
- Proficiency in French desirable
- Analytical, strategic
- High Integrity/ethics, commitment and respect for diversity
- Strong technical systems acumen
Work Environment: Normal office environment with frequent travel
How to Apply
If you are the right person for the job, please submit your motivation letter and an up-to-date CV with a maximum of 4 pages – both in PDF format- to firstname.lastname@example.org latest by Friday 9 November 2018.
Include the mentioned reference number in the subject line of the email.
Duly note that Amref Health Africa does not require applicants to pay any money at whatever stage of the recruitment and selection process.