Apex Porter Novelli
Job Advert: Finance and Commercial Manager
We are Apex Porter Novelli, a full-service public relations and strategic communications agency that has been in business since 1999.
Everything we do at APN is designed to achieve one goal: to transform the opinions, beliefs and behaviours of those who matter most to our clients. We make this happen through a consistent and systematic approach that pairs a deep, data driven understanding of what makes people think and act the way they do with sophisticated metrics that enable us to identify, monitor, manage and engage the audiences that matter most to our clients.
The results are public relations and communications campaigns (case studies) that have not only delivered real business results for our clients but have made real difference in the lives of those who matter most to our clients.
Our commitment to excellence and industry best practice is reflected in the quality of awards that the work of our clients has received.
There are few agencies in Africa that can match the number of prestigious industry awards won in the recent past—three Sabre Awards including the inaugural Global SABRE in 2011, three coveted Golden World Awards from the International Public Relations Association including the Frontline Award , Grand Award from the United Nations in New York in 2010 and several national Public Relations Society of Kenya Awards.
We are a full brand network partner of Porter Novelli (www.porternovelli.com) which gives us access to one of the largest communications networks in the world and a host of world-class, industry-leading tools. This means that our clients receive the best of class service.
We are currently looking for an individual with the below highlighted Skills and experience to take up the position of Finance and Commercial Manager:
- Strategic business orientation and sound understanding of business growth analytics, an effectively anticipates, capitalizes on and drives change to enable growth
- Personable, bold and efficient leader able to effectively secure stakeholder buy-in
- Possess the ability to cultivate and manage lasting relationships with diverse institutions and individuals
- An excellent communicator with the ability to articulate the company’s position on issues at top level and to a diverse audience
- A solution-oriented individual committed to driving tangible value in a dynamic business environment
- Excellent emotional intelligence and great interpersonal skills
- MUST be CPA-K or its equivalent holder
- Bachelor’s degree in Finance or any related field
- At least 6 years’ solid experience
The Job holder’s responsibilities are as below:
1. Support the management in the formulation of the strategic direction of the company, budgeting systems and performance metrics required to achieve the company set goals. This will include monitoring performance against those metrics and development of necessary interventions to meet goals
2. Coordinate and report financial performance and projections to directors and senior management providing necessary insights to drive performance
3. Identify current and potential financial risks to which the company is subjected to and take steps to mitigate those risks
4. Proactively ensure that the company decisions are grounded on sound financial advice and insights
5. Responsible for the design, implementation of relevant finance policies and procedures and operational effectiveness of the finance department
6. Develops internal controls and procedures including custody and control of assets, records, loan collateral and securities, in order to ensure safekeeping.
7. Monitors, interprets and improves cash flows management in contact with banks and Managing Director.
8. Monitors credit to clients and debts recovering in consultation with concerned project leads.
9. Collaborate with account project teams in cost of proposals and be accountable for their competitiveness in line with the company’s value proposition.
10. Monitors company insurance, licensing, contracts and agreements.
11. Manage and coordinate the annual budget preparation process and ensure necessary budgetary controls are in place;
12. Manage the audit function by developing and executing an audit work plan and enforcing internal controls. Liaise with auditors towards timely delivery of audit processes and reports, statutory financial, statements, risk mapping and assessment including development and enforcement of financial and internal control systems and compliance;
13. Timely collections and payments in accordance with the contracted terms;
14. Provide leadership to the finance / accounts team to ensure efficient and effective delivery of finance services to internal and external customers.
How to Apply
If you believe you possess the above skills and experience and ready to execute the above mentioned tasks, kindly answer the below questions and send your answers, updated CV and details of 3 referees to email@example.com by 12:00noon Friday 23rd November 2018 with the subject heading FINANCE AND
1. Do you prefer working alone or as part of a team? Why?
2. Describe the type of work environment in which you are most productive.
3. How do you prefer to get feedback from your Line Manager: through formal performance reviews or daily/weekly meetings? Why?
4. What do you hope to achieve during your first six months if given the role?
5. What would make you quit a job in the first month?
6. What would you say or do to motivate your team during a challenging project/task?
7. What were the most positive aspects of the last job you held?
8. Have you ever found a company policy unfair or inefficient? If so, what was the policy and why? What did you do or what would you do, in this case?
9. How would you change an institutional “this is how we always do it” attitude, if you felt there was a better approach?
10. How do you take feedback from your juniors?