World University Service of Canada
Communication & Graphic Designer
Background: WUSC – World University Service of Canada – is a leading Canadian non-profit organization in international development, committed to providing education, employment and empowerment opportunities that improve the lives of millions of disadvantaged youth around the world.
In Kenya, WUSC is working in partnership with Windle International Kenya (WIK) to implement the Kenya Equity in Education Project (KEEP), which operates from April 2017 to March 2022.
KEEP II will create conditions for learning that will allow approximately 29,000 marginalized girls from Kakuma and Dadaab refugee camps and the surrounding host communities (Turkana and Garissa counties) to stay in school as long as possible, attain at least functional literacy and numeracy, be safe and supported at school and at home, and make successful transitions at critical life stages.
KEEP II will deliver significant results in terms of improved learning outcomes (literacy and numeracy); increased numbers of girls remaining in school and transitioning to the next grade (attendance and transition rates); and a positive supportive environment that values and promotes girls’ learning (sustainable changes in community behavior).
KEEP will promote these outcomes through a wide range of complementary activities including teacher training; provision of remedial education classes; secondary school infrastructure improvement; conditional cash transfers to highly marginalized families; life skills camps for girls; multi-media community engagement strategies; and training for school governance bodies.
WUSC is looking for a Communication & Graphic Design Consultant to support the development of visual messages for various target groups.
In addition, the consultant will support WUSC in creative design to layout teaching material with the aim of making them more user-friendly, fit-for-purpose, readable and attractive.
In consultation with the WUSC Team, the Communication & Graphic Designer will:
- Design and layout various messages targeting different groups and teacher training tool kits;
- Edit and design training material;
- Review and advice on critical project communication pieces;
- Create visual communication reports, deliverable’s and documents that help tell project stories.
Expected Qualifications of Communication & Graphic Design consultant
- Relevant qualification in graphic or creative design, or other design-related subject.
- 5 years of experience in a related field, of communication and graphic design
- Experience in concept ideation, design strategy, art direction and production
- Previous demonstrable experience of designing high quality education materials, specifically teacher training materials.
- Demonstrable experience in designing and communicating visual concepts to best convey messages to their intended audiences
- Experience in industry standard design tools
- Possession of creative flair, versatility, conceptual/visual ability and originality.
- You have strong verbal, written, and visual presentation skills.
- Please include URLs for an online portfolio in your application
How to Apply:
Please submit your CV and examples of your design work (preferably education-related projects) to firstname.lastname@example.org before or on November 28, 2018.
Submissions without a portfolio included will not be considered.
Please include Communication & Graphic Design in the subject line.