Corporate Head of Legal and Risk
The Head of Legal and Risk is responsible for supporting the effective and efficient management of the legal department, providing legal advisory services and ensuring effective management of legal and contractual risks for the group and its subsidiaries and affiliate companies.
S/he will ensure efficient and effective management of staff and resources in the legal department.
The Head of Legal and Risk will lead the Legal department as a strategic function that delivers practical, proactive, timely and relevant legal services in response to a broad range of complex business matters of significant strategic and financial value and to provide solutions to manage the risks.
- Provide legal and risk management strategic input to the leadership of the company, its subsidiaries and affiliate companies; ensure legal risks are identified, resolved and managed appropriately.
- Ensure that all aspects of legal risk are identified, covered and controlled in the implementation of new projects and systems; Participate in the development and revision of processes, policies and procedures designed to reduce legal risk and/or increase efficiency of the company.
- Coordinate, draft, review and negotiate all agreements to which the group of companies is a party, including tenders, business agreements, contracts for goods and services, arbitrations, and collaborative memoranda of understanding etc; ensuring that all engagements of the business with external parties are reviewed and meet acceptable legal standards.
- Research, render legal opinions and prepare legal papers on issues of importance to the company; Provide legal advisory services on legal matters related to the company and ensure that all activities are in line with the applicable law.
- Negotiating with clients and or suppliers for out-of-court settlements to avoid litigation in court.
- Provide oversight on work assigned to external lawyers and drive performance in the resolution of legal issues.
- Drive adherence of good corporate governance practices by the Company’s Directors and Management.
- Administer and manage company’s contracts; Hold custody of all legal documents, seals, intellectual property and security documentation for the company.
- Manage the company’s fixed assets from a legal and regulatory point of view.
- Plan, design and implement an overall risk management process and business continuity plan for the company; Keep the management and staff informed on legal and compliance matters which may pose financial or reputational risks and carry out trainings to employees to build awareness within the company.
- Ensure compliance and adherence to statutory and regulatory requirements and to the corporate policies, procedures and systems and ccontinuously monitor compliance with statutory obligations and advise management accordingly.
- Provide oversight on company secretarial services to ensure effective liaison of external providers with the Board.
- Overall management of the legal department; managing tasks/targets e.g. clarifying roles, ensuring goals and plans are agreed upon.
- Carry out special legal projects as required.
- Serve on the organization’s Disciplinary Committee (as convened by the Human Resources Department).
- Bachelor’s degree in law and Master’s degree in law from a recognized university and admission to the Bar in a jurisdiction within sub-Saharan Africa
- Advocate of the High Court of Kenya and Certified Public Secretary an advantage
- A minimum of 7 years of relevant post-qualification legal experience from the corporate sector.
- A minimum of 4 years of managerial experience. Board secretarial experience an advantage.
- Strong speech giving/writing and report-writing experience and capabilities.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English, including the ability to set out a coherent analysis in presentations.
- Strong diplomatic and communication skills, ability to develop a close and effective working relationship with clients at all levels.
- Able and competent presenter as well as a positive influencer of others.
- Client orientation – able to balance responsiveness and pro-activity in meeting internal client needs and concerns and to ensure provision of value-added services as appropriate.
- Able to lead and manage major change and transition programs.
- Champion of company’s values and recognized management skills in a multicultural setting.
- Strategic thinker.
Salary: Competitive salary based on qualification and experience
Interested candidates who fully meet the above requirements should send their applications along with a detailed CV indicating current and expected salary and their daytime contact to
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
We do not charge any fees for receiving and reviewing applications or for interviews.
Deadline: 10th December 2018