Exciting Career Opportunity: Governance and Devolution Team Lead
Background Information: The Agile and Harmonized Assistance for Devolved Institutions (AHADI) is a five year USAID program implemented by the State University of New York’s (SUNY) Center for International Development (CID).
AHADI is funded by both USAID and DFID. The program is designed to support Kenya’s vision and agenda for achieving the promise of devolution. The program’s interventions aim to promote governance systems that are transparent, accountable, effective in service delivery, and responsive to empowered citizens by working at both the National and County Government levels.
AHADI has three main objectives:
1. Targeted counties provide higher quality services through improved governance.
2. Improved representation of citizen interests and oversight of targeted County Government performance.
3. Functionality and effectiveness of the devolved system increased through intra-government engagement and cooperation.
AHADI is primarily a Democracy Rights and Governance (DRG) program focused on improving the governance of Kenya’s new decentralized system. It is an integrated governance program that uses sector entry points to achieve both governance and sector outcomes. These sectors include but are not limited to good governance, resilience and economic growth, education, climate change and disaster risk reduction.
The program is currently seeking a skilled, diplomatic, effective, and highly motivated:
Position Title: Governance and Devolution Team Lead
Relationship Management and Representation:
- Ensure that the AHADI senior management team is well appraised on changes in the operating context so that in turn, the project donors are appraised in needs for programming changes in response
- Manage relationships with funding and strategic partners, to ensure that the programming priorities are given prominence and support within government and Non State Actors
- Invest sufficient time to building visibility for AHADI within the counties and at the national level, including with likeminded implementing institutions working on devolution
- Develop mechanisms to build a good understanding of AHADI objectives and approaches by partners and stakeholders
Program Team Leadership
- Provide strategic planning and on initiatives agreed upon in the approved work plan on areas within your axis of control
- Utilize your own technical capabilities, as well as those available within the structure of AHADI to design responsive initiatives to deliver on the commitments that AHADI has made to the strengthening of devolution
- Create a culture of accountability amongst team members under your supervision, and with consultants, to bring about the most positive results, in the most effective and efficient manner
- Utilize existing program implementation tracking tools and mechanisms, and contribute to the improvement of these, in the interest of improved project cycle management
- Participate in regular program meetings to maintain and strengthen the team’s strategic focus, to discuss challenges, solutions and outcomes; and inculcate the same approach to the management of your team
You will be responsible for the funding assigned to your remit at the beginning of the financial year.
As such, you will work very closely with the finance team and the Support Funds Manager assigned to you to:
- Develop budget proposals
- Ensure that expenditure is in line with approval
- Track expenditure, burn rate and balances
- Demonstrate value for money
- Make recommendations for budget re allocation and changes for approval as the AHADI systems require
- Develop regular reports
- Respond to all emerging internal and external queries relating to funding of initiatives within your remit
Monitoring, Evaluation, Reporting and Learning
- Oversee the MERL processes and outputs within your remit
- Build team commitment and demonstrate practical MERL within your remit
- Initiate and participate in cross- team coordination, collaboration and lesson learning;
- You will have dotted line supervision of a MERL officer working directly on your cohort of work
- Ensure high quality, timely and communicative reports emerging out of work undertaken within your portfolio
This will include:
- Developing and overseeing the drafting project reports so that AHADI’s technical strategies are communicated to donors in a timely and sensible and technically savvy manner.
- Providing your team, the information the program team needs to do more evidence based programming;
Knowledge Management and Communication
- Work closely with the communication and knowledge management team to generate various communication and knowledge products for improved communication
- Replicate best practice in the identification, collation storage and usage of knowledge in the realm of devolution and as it fits within good governance within your remit as well as influencing fellow program team leads on the same
- Adopt the challenge to utilize technology to advance communication and knowledge management within AHADI
- Participate in recruitment of good quality staff working within your remit
- Foster commitment to staff appraisal, including development of objectives at the beginning of the financial year, regular and collaborative review
- Oversee the contracting, briefing, coaching, mentoring, monitoring and assessment/ appraisal of all consultants working within your remit
Carry out other duties as assigned by your supervisor
- Master’s in Public Administration; Public Policy; Business Administration; Economics; other relevant Social Science, governance – related field.
- At least 7 years of experience in progressively responsible experience in designing, implementing and managing governance programs in Kenya.
- Demonstrated experience managing successful teams comprised of experienced professionals
- Demonstrated results based program management, strategic planning, and problem solving skills working on complex projects in a highly sensitive environment are required.
- Experience with DFID/USAID-funded programs
- Ability to work both independently and in a team environment to achieve consensus on strategies, activities and administrative matters is a must.
- Demonstrated outstanding oral communication skills, tact and diplomacy in establishing and sustaining working relationships with high-level government of Kenya officials and building a high level of trust with public/private organizations.
- Demonstrated oral communication skills in negotiating activity plans and resolving activity implementation issues with AHADI partners, government counterparts, and team members
- Excellent written communication skills are required to contribute to consultants’ Terms of Reference, regular and ad hoc project reports, snapshots, lessons learned and briefing notes.
- Excellent computer skills (MS Word, Excel, Power Point, and Outlook)
- Training and or experience in an education-related field is an added advantage.
- Good technical knowledge, including knowledge of the operating context of devolution
- Ability to inspire/ command respect from peers internally, and with ranking officials of government and NSAs
- Good experience in Project cycle management
- Good at writing reports
- Team player and ability to multi-task
- Ability to meet deadlines and cope with pressing timelines;
- Problem solving and basic counselling skills.
Languages: English language fluency required.
Skills and Abilities
- Diplomacy and negotiation when working with community and Government representatives.
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural environment.
- Ability to identify institutional needs e.g. capacity gaps and design appropriate interventions
- Project cycle management.
- Strong interpersonal communication skills i.e. ability to build strong relationships with partner counties.
- Good management skills.
How to Apply
If you possess the skills and qualifications as contained in the position’s advert, please send
(1) a Cover letter
(2) CV and
(3) References from three Professional Referees, one referee should be a previous or current supervisor.
Closing date: Dec 04, 2018.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Kindly put the position you are applying for as the subject line.
Applications without the position as the subject line will not be evaluated.
SUNY-AHADI is an equal opportunities employer.