Our client, Kenya Ports Authority (KPA), is a Commercial and Strategic State Corporation mandated to maintain, operate, improve and regulate all sea ports on the Indian Ocean coastline of Kenya, inland waterways and Inland Container Depots.
KPA also has liaison offices in the transit markets of Uganda, Rwanda and Burundi. KPA aspires to position the Port of Mombasa as a competitive regional hub. The Port of Mombasa is the gateway to East and Central Africa and is one of the busiest Ports along the East African coastline.
The Port provides direct connectivity to over 80 Ports worldwide and is linked to a vast hinterland comprising Uganda, Rwanda, Burundi, Eastern Democratic Republic of Congo, Northern Tanzania, Southern Sudan, Somalia and Ethiopia by road. A railway line also runs from the Port to Uganda and Tanzania.
The Authority is seeking to recruit exceptional leaders to fill the positions of General Manager, Human Resource and Administration and General Manager, Infrastructure Development.
General Manager, Human Resource and Administration
Reporting to the Managing Director, the General Manager, Human Resource and Administration will be a member of the Executive Committee and will be responsible for the entire spectrum of the human resource programs / strategies, including employee relations / industrial relations, welfare, acquisition, development / training and retention of the human resources to meet the corporate objectives of the Authority.
The job holder is equally required to oversee the Medical Services, Administration and Bandari College functions.
- Provide overall strategic leadership and direction for the development and implementation of effective human resource and administration strategies and policies;
- Direct the Authority’s human resource planning to ensure the formulation of strategies/ programs for the timely acquisition/development of the critical skills required to support and sustain the business strategies of KPA;
- Establish frameworks for the continuous development and review of the human resources capabilities/competencies through learning and development programs, succession plans and career management processes;
- Develop an effective performance management program to motivate staff and enhance performance and productivity;
- Maintain harmonious industrial relations ensuring a positive working environment within the Authority;
- Oversee the preparation of the budget for the human resource and administration division and exercise expenditure control;
- Provide a link between the Authority’s various divisions and ensure the smooth flow of information from one part to the other through effective office administration;
- Oversee planning, directing and coordinating supportive services of the Authority including maintaining facilities and supervising activities; and
- Ensure that all members of the human resource and administration team are competent in carrying out their role, offering coaching and mentoring support to enhance their delivery and capabilities.
- Be a holder of a Bachelor’s and Master’s Degrees in any of the following fields: Business, Social Sciences, Economics, Industrial Psychology, Organisation Development, Human Resources Management or any other relevant field from a recognised university;
- Possess a Professional Qualification in Human Resource Management and is a member in good standing of the Institute of Human Resources Management Kenya, with a valid practicing certificate, as stipulated in the Human Resource Management Professional Act, 2012;
- Have knowledge and experience of not less than nine (9) years of relevant work experience, with at least five (5) years served in managerial/leadership role(s) in significant organisation(s) with similar complexity as Kenya Ports Authority;
- Demonstrable track record in maintaining harmonious industrial/employee relations; and
- Have thorough knowledge and understanding of Kenya Labour Laws as well as International Labour Practices.
How to Apply
Candidates will be required to satisfy the requirements of Chapter Six of the Constitution of Kenya 2010 including:
- Certificate of Good Conduct from the Directorate of Criminal Investigations;
- Clearance Certificate from the Higher Education Loans Board;
- Tax Compliance Certificate from the Kenya Revenue Authority;
- Clearance from the Ethics and Anti-Corruption Commission; and
- a Report from an Approved Credit Reference Bureau.
If you believe you can clearly demonstrate your abilities to meet the relevant criteria for the role above, please submit your application including copies of your academic and professional certificates, testimonials and your curriculum vitae, including among others, details of your current position, current remuneration, email and telephone contacts of three (3) referees familiar with your qualifications and work experience.
To be considered, your application must be received by not later than 30 November 2018.
For the full details about these positions and how to apply, kindly log onto our e-recruitment platform via https://www2.deloitte.com/ke/en/careers/executive-search-recruitment.html
Email or hard copy applications will not be accepted.
Only those applications submitted through the e-recruitment portal will be considered.
The Director, Executive Selection Division Deloitte Consulting Limited Deloitte Place Waiyaki Way Westlands, Nairobi, Kenya
Kenya Ports Authority is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE) and is committed to diversity and gender equality.
Canvasing will lead to automatic disqualification.
Deloitte refers to one or more of Deloitte Touche Tohmatsu Limited, a UK private company limited by guarantee, and its network of member firms, each of which is a legally separate and independent entity. Please see www.deloitte.com/about for a detailed description of the legal structure of Deloitte Touché Tohmatsu Limited and its member firms.
© 2018 Deloitte Consulting Limited