The Kenya Girl Guides Association (KGGA) is a member organization of the World Association of Girl Guides and Girl Scouts (WAGGGS). KGGA is one of the largest youth Associations in Kenya. KGGA operates through a value based program and has a national membership of girls and young women representing every race, ethnicity, culture, class and religion in Kenya.
We are looking to fill the short term position of Public Relations & Advocacy Intern who will be reporting to the Programme and Training Manager, Kenya Girl Guides Association.
The position is short term for 6 months.
1. Develop proactive communications campaigns that will promote two way interactions with key audiences and positively profile and create awareness of KGGA among key audiences while at the same time;
- Encourage girls and volunteers from all backgrounds to join KGGA
- build awareness, understanding and engagement about KGGA among our key audiences
2. Ensure our girl-led advocacy campaigns have a high media profile at local and national level
3. Effectively utilize KGGA’s Social Media platforms to raise awareness of KGGA’s activities.
4. Develop and implement an integrated communications strategy to recruit girls and volunteers into KGGA.
5. Draft and distribute media releases to relevant media.
6. Build and update media lists and databases.
7. Monitor all print, digital and broadcast media and prepare daily reports of coverage received on issues touching on KGGA.
8. Assist in the development of content for communications and marketing materials.
9. Play a key role in the planning and coordination of KGGA events.
10. Develop and implement an advocacy strategy that will highlight issues affecting girls and change in policies affecting girls and women across the country.
11. To lead KGGA’s strategy to identify, celebrate and promote inspiring examples of local and national social action.
12. To work with the Public Relations Task Group to deliver effective crisis communications and issue management when necessary.
13. To work closely with:
- The Membership Officer to ensure our PR work actively supports our strategy to grow guiding and promote inclusion.
- Programme and Training Manager to ensure KGGA’s programme and events are celebrated and promoted in a wide range of media.
14. To lead a bold and engaging advocacy, social action and campaigning strategy to give girls a voice on issues that they care about, empower them to make change and position KGGA as an expert on girls and young women’s views.
15. To lead the development of KGGA’s work to encourage and empower more young members to take national and local social action, including campaigning and advocacy.
To be agreed with Line Manager
1. Bachelor’s degree in Public Relations, Communication, Journalism or other relevant field.
2. Excellent command of written and spoken English and Kiswahili.
3. Strong writing and editorial skills
4. Ability to work in a team or independently
5. Basic Knowledge of developing and delivering excellent PR strategies to engage key audiences.
6. Knowledge of the Kenya media and ability to identify trends and opportunities relevant to Girl Guiding.
7. Knowledge of, and engagement with, digital communications tools and social media, to ensure social media and other digital channels have been effectively integrated into all media and advocacy activities.
8. Demonstration of creativity to achieve results using minimum resources
9. Strong oral, written and comprehension skills
10. Understanding of KGGA work
How to Apply
Please submit a cover letter illustrating your suitability for the position together with a detailed CV to firstname.lastname@example.org by 14th November 2018.
Indicate Public Relations & Advocacy Intern in the Subject Line.
Late applications or hard copies will not be considered.
Please note: At no point in the entire recruitment process shall the candidate have to pay any money as a condition of engagement.
Only shortlisted candidates will have their applications acknowledged.
KGGA is an “equal opportunity organization” that is committed to hiring highly qualified individuals regardless of gender, religion, race, creed or marital status.