One Acre Fund
Communications Associate (Writer / Editor)
Location: Kenya, Rwanda
Job Description: The communications team shapes One Acre Fund’s global brand and local reputation. One Acre Fund currently serves more than 600,000 smallholder farmers in six countries across Eastern and Southern Africa, and we aim to serve one million farmers by 2020.
Our fourteen-person team champions the idea that hard-working farmers are at the heart of rural development and national prosperity.
You’ll serve as the lead writer and editor for all One Acre Fund audiences, ranging from U.S. funders and policymakers to East African government partners and prospective job applicants. You’ll also develop aspiring writers within the communications team and across the organization.
As an in-house reporter, you’ll identify compelling One Acre Fund stories and trends to share globally.
- Serve as lead author for our blog and core brand collateral (e.g., website, annual report)
- Propose and author op-eds to support One Acre Fund thought leadership in the U.S. and East Africa
- Proactively identify stories across our East African operations that would interest varied audiences
- Develop core messaging on One Acre Fund programs, policy positions, and hot topics
As our lead editor, you’ll ensure consistency of our content and develop the writing talents of others.
- Edit writing produced by communications team (blog posts, op-eds) for consistency and quality
- Develop a network of staff authors and work with them to write blog posts and op-eds
- Develop the interviewing and writing skills of our four communications officers
- Contribute to editorial strategy to raise One Acre Fund’s profile with senior African candidates
You’ll establish strong processes for content production on our team and coordination with other teams.
- Contribute to the editorial calendar and communications team content production process
- Ensure close coordination with other teams producing content, such as the fundraising team
- Organize periodic global brand awareness campaigns in coordination with partners and funders
Career Growth and Development
We have a strong culture of constant learning and we invest in developing our people. You’ll have weekly check-ins with your manager, access to mentorship and training programs, and regular feedback on your performance. We hold career reviews every six months, and set aside time to discuss your aspirations and career goals. You’ll have the opportunity to shape a growing organization and build a rewarding long-term career.
We are seeking an exceptional storyteller with 5+ years of writing and/or editing experience and a passion for social change.
Candidates who fit the following criteria are strongly encouraged to apply:
- Exceptional ability to write and edit for varied audiences on deadline; journalism experience a plus
- Proven ability to identify stories, develop contacts, and conduct interviews in diverse cultural contexts
- Emotionally intelligent team player who can develop junior writers and edit subject matter experts
- Strong detail orientation and comfort managing projects with multiple stakeholders and moving pieces
- Comfort with regular travel to rural areas in East Africa to interview farmers and staff
- English fluency required; second regional language (e.g., Swahili, French, Kinyarwanda) a plus
Preferred Start Date: Flexible
Compensation: Commensurate with experience.
Benefits: Health insurance, paid time off.
Sponsor International Candidates: No; must have existing rights to work in Kenya or Rwanda.
East Africans are strongly encouraged to apply.
How to Apply
CLICK HERE to apply online