One Acre Fund
Global M&E Director / Deputy Director
Seeking an exemplary evaluation professional to lead a large global M&E department renowned for its rigor.
Job Description: We are seeking a dynamic M&E leader with strong quantitative and qualitative research skills, and proven ability to develop staff and to communicate results effectively. The Global Monitoring and Evaluation Director will lead all M&E functions in the organization and be a key member of organizational leadership.
The M&E team has a presence in all countries of operation and employs a full time staff of data collectors. The department is really akin to an in-house research and evaluation firm, and conducts rigorous evaluations and analyses which greatly inform internal decision-making as it’s #1 priority.
The goals of the M&E department are both to prove and improve program impact, and One Acre Fund has a culture of highly respecting data analysis and pivoting program activities in response to new evidence. This is a unique environment in which to lead and manage M&E activities, with a true influence on program strategy.
The overarching goals of this role are to:
- Develop and continue to professionalize M&E staff at all levels.
- Ensure that M&E data and results continue to inform program strategy by working with program leadership to understand and devise strategies to implement results.
- Continue to deepen 1AF evidence base including periodic experimental studies of our primary program impact on farmer profit as well as building evidence-based of secondary impacts on farmer quality of life.
- Ensure that 1AF’s newly evolving work in the areas of agro-forestry and nutrition evaluation work have a strong evidence base.
- Ensure the continuation of the highest quality of data collection and highest rigor of analysis that One Acre Fund has come to be associated with.
- Oversee the analysis and recommendations which inform that ability of organizational leaders to choose among multiple investments.
- Liaise with partners and donors to ensure that M&E data and analysis is responsive to their requests and requirements.
- Internally support adjacent departments (e.g. the Agricultural Research Team, The Field Operations team and the Product Innovations Department).
Setting Vision & Strategy:
- Work with senior leaders to collaboratively set and execute on long-term vision for all M&E functions, under the “Impact” umbrella
- Build and reinforce Department culture of excellence and responsiveness.
- Build and maintain strong collaborative working relationships across several global departments, and amongst key leaders in all countries
- Identify and execute on key areas of strategic innovation
- Manage the day-to-day work of manager director-level staff, overseeing a total staff of over a dozen M&E leaders.
- Organize and conduct periodic skills-building and best practice workshops.
- Ensure that the team has continual opportunity for upward growth in the organization and increasing scope of responsibility
- Build a collaborative, positive and inclusive team culture, bridging the geographic distance among team members.
Executing on Key Organizational Initiatives: Deliver results on key organizational initiatives related to all aspects of HR and talent management, including working with our outstanding team of department directors in the following areas:
- Routinize and standardize – ensure the highest level of quality as we move to a regional M&E manager structure
- Ensure that the growing body of nutrition work has a strong and well-executed evaluation strategy
- Build on the organization’s understating of the program impact on farmers’ overall quality of life
- Support the organization’s strategy to rigorously evaluate our growing tree program, including leading an RCT to quantify long-term impact.
- Grow efficiently – put in place strategy to ensure that the high volume and rigorous data collection undertaken by the organization is conducted in an economically efficient manner.
- Serve as the global voice for all M&E-related issues, to the organization and top leadership
- Develop white papers and copy for our Website on M&E topics.
- Liaise with partners and donors who seek to understand our M&E strategy and results.
- Represent One Acre Fund at occasional conferences and strategic meetings.
Career Growth and Development: We have a strong culture of constant learning and we invest in developing our people. You’ll have weekly check-ins with your manager, access to mentorship and training programs, and regular feedback on your performance.
We hold career reviews every six months, and set aside time to discuss your aspirations and career goals. You’ll have the opportunity to shape a growing organization and build a rewarding long-term career.
We are seeking exceptional candidates with 7-10+ years work experience in the evaluation field, preferably in a developing country context and preferably in programs which address rural livelihoods.
Candidates who fit the following criteria are strongly encouraged to apply:
- Masters degree required, PhD a plus
- Proven ability to manage teams and develop leaders; experience in remote management a plus
- Proficiency in STATA and strong quantitative and qualitative research skills
- Experience overseeing data collection in rural areas
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong data and analytical skills
- Experience working in a multi-cultural workplace in a developing country, ideally in East Africa
- Creativity and strong problem-solving skills
- We are looking for passionate professionals who combine strong leadership skills with patience and a humble approach to service
Language: Fluent English required. Swahili, Kinyarwanda and/or French a plus.
Preferred Start Date: Flexible
Compensation: Commensurate with experience.
Benefits: Health insurance, housing, annual flights, and other quality of life benefits
Sponsor International Candidates: Yes
East Africans highly encourage to apply.
How to Apply
CLICK HERE to apply online