Job Advert: Administrative Intern
Sanergy is an award-winning social venture that builds healthy, prosperous communities by making hygienic sanitation accessible and affordable in Africa’s urban informal settlements.
Our systems-based approach to solving the sanitation crisis involves five key steps: we build a dense network of low-cost, high-quality waterless sanitation facilities – called Fresh Life Toilets.
We franchise the toilets to community residents, who run them as commercial toilets; landlords, who offer them as a value-added service to their tenants; and schools, to ensure children always have access to a safe sanitation option.
We provide critical support services – such as access to finance, business analytics, training and aspirational marketing and branding. We collect the waste regularly and safely remove it from the community for treatment.
We convert the waste into valuable end products, such as organic fertilizer and insect-based animal protein, which we sell to Kenyan farms. We launched our first toilet in November 2011, and we now have a network of over 600 active Fresh Life Toilets run by over 300 Fresh Life Operators.
We have collected and converted over 8,000 tons of waste. At the same time, we have built a team of over 250 people. For our work, we have been recognized by Fast Company as one of the 10 Most Innovative Companies in the World Doing Social Good and one of the 10 Best Companies in Africa.
Sanergy seeks an administrative intern to be responsible for providing administrative support to ensure efficient operation of all offices. You will support the senior management team, employees through a variety of tasks related to the organization and communication.
This is an exciting opportunity to be part of a growing team tackling unanswered questions in the sanitation development space.
A typical day for you might include the following
Key duties and responsibilities Administration Services – Assist the Admin and Talent Coordinator in:
- As the first point of contact for any queries screen all incoming calls courteously redirecting/transferring calls to respective teammates, screen all visitors to determine the purpose of their business within the premises and use discretion as to whether they can be granted access or whether they need an appointment.
- Ensuring a well-functioning reception, clean office premises-Line check to be done every morning, and meeting rooms.
- Being the point person in coordinating high-level meetings for Directors/Managers.
- The focal person in administrative services such as prompt reservation for accommodation for staff and guests before the date of travel etc.
- Implementation and maintaining a filing system for all administration documents according to procedures, while ensuring proper mail distribution
- Other administrative duties such as keeping updated records of office expenses and costs, periodic inventory audits of non-stock items, bill payments and processing all office related procurement requests.
- Updating Admin Trackers
- Managing different work calendars
- Perform any other duties assigned by management from time to time
Key Result Areas
- Quality-Ensure quality of work at all times, as per the required specifications and standards
- Accuracy- Accuracy at work at all time
Skills and qualifications you’ll need
- Degree/Diploma in Business Management, Business Administration or closely related field
- Highly proficient communicator in both written and verbal communication.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Good listening skills and ability to follow directives appropriately and (where applicable) relay the information correctly
- Excellent organization skills including the ability to plan and prioritize tasks.
- Detail oriented with a proactive attitude that focuses on creating ideas and plans for correcting issues or handling daily tasks.
- Action-oriented i.e. agile and resilient but also purposeful and aware – always directing the action from a clear sense of purpose and an accurate assessment of what is happening in the environment.
- Allows for flexibility in work schedule and works well under pressure
- Good problem-solving skills; solves minor issues without having to wait for counsel but also knows when to consult.
- High level of integrity and honesty.
- Ability to keep a high level of confidentiality.
- Diplomatic and can relate well with different personalities in all circumstances
- Strong proficiency in Microsoft Office applications – and an appetite to improve these skills. Constantly trying to improve their skills and toolbox to increase on-the-job efficiency.
Qualities you’ll need to fit in well with the Sanergy-Stars
- A collaborative spirit that compels you to work beyond your team
- A desire to understand and serve customers
- A willingness to embrace diversity, integrity, and empathy
- An innovative approach to assessing and testing new ideas
- An enthusiasm to achieve set targets and improve yourself professionally
Clearly indicating your available start state, your resume/CV and cover letter by 30th November, 2018.
While the 2017 Sanergy interns are not provided monetary compensation, the experience gleaned from their time at Sanergy will benefit them for many years to come. Join us in pushing the frontiers of innovation