Software Development Intern
Sanergy is an award-winning social venture that builds healthy, prosperous communities by making hygienic sanitation accessible and affordable in Africa’s urban informal settlements.
Our systems-based approach to solving the sanitation crisis involves five key steps: we build a dense network of low-cost, high-quality waterless sanitation facilities – called Fresh Life Toilets.
We franchise the toilets to community residents, who run them as commercial toilets; landlords, who offer them as a value-added service to their tenants; and schools, to ensure children always have access to a safe sanitation option.
We provide critical support services – such as access to finance, business analytics, training and aspirational marketing and branding. We collect the waste regularly and safely remove it from the community for treatment. We convert the waste into valuable end products, such as organic fertilizer and insect-based animal protein, which we sell to Kenyan farms.
We launched our first toilet in November 2011, and we now have a network of over 600 active Fresh Life Toilets run by over 300 Fresh Life Operators. We have collected and converted over 7,800 tons of waste. At the same time, we have built a team of over 250 people. For our work, we have been recognized by Fast Company as one of the 10 Most Innovative Companies in the World Doing Social Good and one of the 10 Best Companies in Africa.
We are an increasingly sophisticated, highly intricate organization with many moving parts. The Sanergy Fellows Program seeks accomplished, driven individuals who will make substantive contributions to the organization.
We currently seek a Software Development Intern who will work in our IT Services Department.
A typical day for you might include the following.
- Development of custom enterprise software to power and improve the efficiency of our rigorous processes across the network.
- Assist in reviewing existing systems and processes and recommend and design new solutions including running prototypes and pilot tests to evaluate new ideas.
- Assist in developing standards and guidelines for software design and coding to be used by the software team.
- Recommend and implement sound database design and optimization techniques for transnational and analytical databases.
- Documentation of requirements analysis, functional specifications and UI designs using standard software documentation notation.
- Customizing internal systems with off the shelf software.
- Maintain and improve software configuration management practices and tools including bug tracking, version control, software builds, and deployment.
- Follow new developments in technology and recommend creative and innovative uses of technology to solve business problems.
- Supporting in-house users of our custom software and problem solving.
Skills and qualifications you’ll need
- A degree in Information Technology/ Computer Science/Computer Technology or Mathematics and Computer Science is desired.
- At least 1-year experience in software development.
- Demonstrable experience in customizing software systems
- Experience in working on end to end software projects will be an added advantage
- Experience in a startup and a multicultural environment is highly desirable
- Strong interpersonal, communication & presentation skills (verbal, written) and the ability to build effective internal and external client relationships. Should have the ability to exercise tact, courtesy, and judgment in working with all levels of staff.
- Pleasant, energetic, confident, with a positive, can-do attitude, good work ethic, and professionalism.
- Proactive, able to multi-task, prioritize work, meet deadlines & works effectively under pressure with minimum supervision
- Demonstrated initiative in developing solutions to meet complex administrative/technical needs of a work group. Should have very strong organizational skills.
Qualities you’ll need to fit in well with the Sanergy-Stars
- A collaborative spirit that compels you to work beyond your team
- A desire to understand and serve customers
- A willingness to embrace diversity, integrity, and empathy
- An innovative approach to assessing and testing new ideas
- An enthusiasm to achieve set targets and improve yourself professionally
Clearly indicating your available start state, your resume/CV and cover letter by 30th November, 2018.
While the 2017 Sanergy interns are not provided monetary compensation, the experience gleaned from their time at Sanergy will benefit them for many years to come. Join us in pushing the frontiers of innovation.