Shining Hope for Communities (SHOFCO) combats extreme poverty and gender inequity in Kenya by linking tuition-free schools for girls to a set of high-value, holistic community services for the urban poor. In our model, a girls’ school becomes a portal for large-scale social change.
Through a demand-driven approach in grassroots development, our model extends beyond the schools for girls, broadening outreach by providing communities with integrated basic services through three other initiatives: health, community empowerment, and clean water and sanitation.
Overview: We are seeking an individual that will be responsible for maintaining a high quality of education in line with SHOFCO’s vision, mission and guiding principles; and the overall coordination of the school curriculum, activities, and operations to ensure that the school runs efficiently and effectively on a day to day basis.
Key Responsibilities and Job Dimensions
- Ensure that the programs of the school are consistent with the vision, mission, and guiding principles of SHOFCO schools.
- Coach, mentor, and evaluate the performance of the whole faculty.
- Oversee proper implementation of SHOFCO Curriculum using recommended teaching methodologies.
- Ability to offer teacher training in curriculum design, implementation, and evaluation.
- Develop a long-range in-service plan for the faculty in collaboration with the Education Management team.
- Collect, analyze, share and interpret internal and external school assessment data and ensure the data is used strategically to improve student academic performance.
- Oversee the planning, execution, and analysis of intervention programs targeted at the needs of diverse academic subgroups.
- Develop and administer the general school routine, and coordinate all activities within the school.
- Manage the school budget, supply acquisition, HR efforts, and administrative duties; and ensure efficient usage of school resources.
- Identify intellectual, physical, social and emotional needs affecting student’s success in school in collaboration with teachers, students, parents, and social worker.
- Maintain effective communication to keep staff, students and parents properly informed.
- Encourage and initiate continuous improvement in curriculum and teaching methods.
- Maintain an educational philosophy and school climate which encourages a cooperative and participatory attitude on the part of all teachers and students.
- In charge of the boarding section of the school.
- Manage and develop external partnerships and represent the school in interactions with government officials.
Job Competencies (Knowledge, Experience and Attributes / Skills).
- Bachelor Degree in Education or any related field
- P1, Bachelor’s degree in Primary Education
Other requirements (unique/job specific)
- Must be registered with the Teachers Service Commission
- 8 Years’ Experience and training in student-centered approach to education that encourages exploration, inquiry, problem-solving and real-world thinking skills
- 4 Years’ Experience in school administration
- Proven communication and influencing skills
- Organization management
- Proven ability to coach, motivate and build strong relationships
- Computer literacy
- Analytical skills
- Leadership skills
Behavioral Competencies / Attributes:
- Strategic thinking
- Adaptability and decisiveness
- Honesty and integrity
- Initiative and enthusiasm
- Openness and sound judgment
- Firm and objective
Hours, Start Date and Duration: Monday – Friday | 7.30 AM – 4.30PM and Two Saturdays in a Month
Location / Workstation: Kibera
How to Apply
Interested applicants should send their applications together with a cover letter and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org or drop their hard copies at our Head Office in Kibera, Gatwekera.
Please state your current and Expected Gross salary in the Cover Letter.
Applications without this information will not be considered.
DO NOT ATTACH TESTIMONIALS at this point.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Applications should reach us no later than 16th November 2018.