Shining Hope for Communities (SHOFCO) combats extreme poverty and gender inequity in Kenya by linking tuition-free schools for girls to a set of high-value, holistic community services for the urban poor. In our model, a girls’ school becomes a portal for large-scale social change.
Through a demand-driven approach in grassroots development, our model extends beyond the schools for girls, broadening outreach by providing communities with integrated basic services through three other initiatives: health, community empowerment, and clean water and sanitation.
We are seeking three individuals that will be responsible for creating a flexible elementary grade program and a class environment favorable to learning and personal growth.
This aimed at ultimately developing a generation of strong, ethical, community-centered female leaders of tomorrow.
The available teaching roles include:
1. Music Teacher: Kibera,
2. English Teachers (1 in Mathare and 1 in Kibera)
Key Responsibilities and Job Dimensions
- Develop lesson plans and instructional materials.
- Provide individualized and small group instruction in order to adapt the curriculum to the needs of each student.
- Create and use a variety of instructional strategies,
- Translate lesson plans into learning experiences.
- Establish and maintain standards of student behavior needed to achieve a functional learning atmosphere in the classroom.
- Evaluate students’ academic and social growth.
- Prepare progress reports and keep records.
- Communicate with parents on students’ progress.
- Interpret the school program.
- Coordinate with other professional staff members in assessing and helping students solve health, attitude, and learning problems.
- Create an effective environment for learning.
- Select and requisition books and instructional aids.
- Maintain required inventory records.
- Supervise students in and out-of-classroom activities during the school day.
- Administer group standardized tests in accordance with school and national testing program.
- Participate in curriculum development programs as required.
- Participate in faculty committees and the sponsorship of student activities.
- Bachelor Degree or Diploma in Education with music Major or P1 with strong music teaching experience
- P1 qualification with more than 3 yrs English teaching experience in upper classes including handling KCPE class
- Any music professional experience e.g ABRSM only for music teachers
Other requirements (unique/job specific)
- At least three years of music or English teaching experience
- Proven ability to work collaboratively and flexibly with a diverse team of teachers
- Should have composed and presented music items up to the National level only for music teachers
- Articulating information
- Adopting practical approaches
- Providing insights
- Taking action
Behavioral Competencies / Attributes:
- Establishing rapport
- Valuing individuals
- Inviting feedback
- Understanding people
Hours, Start Date and Duration: Monday – Friday | 7.30 AM – 4.30PM
Location / Workstation: Kibera and Mathare ( State your preferred location)
How to Apply
Interested applicants should send their applications together with a cover letter and CV to email@example.com or drop their hard copies at our Head Office in Kibera, Gatwekera.
Please state your current and Expected Gross salary in the Cover Letter.
Applications without this information will not be considered. DO NOT ATTACH TESTIMONIALS at this point.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Applications should reach us no later than 16th November 2018.