Apex Porter Novelli
Job Vacancy: Account Manager
We are Apex Porter Novelli, a full-service public relations and strategic communications agency that has been in business since 1999.
Everything we do at APN is designed to achieve one goal: to transform the opinions, beliefs and behaviours of those who matter most to our clients. We make this happen through a consistent and systematic approach that pairs a deep, data driven understanding of what makes people think and act the way they do with sophisticated metrics that enable us to identify, monitor, manage and engage the audiences that matter most to our clients.
The results are public relations and communications campaigns (case studies) that have not only delivered real business results for our clients but have made real difference in the lives of those who matter most to our clients.
Our commitment to excellence and industry best practice is reflected in the quality of awards that the work of our clients has received. There are few agencies in Africa that can match the number of prestigious industry awards won in the recent past—three Sabre Awards including the inaugural Global SABRE in 2011, three coveted Golden World Awards from the International Public Relations Association including the Frontline Award, Grand Award from the United Nations in New York in 2010 and several national Public Relations Society of Kenya Awards.
We are a full brand network partner of Porter Novelli (www.porternovelli.com) which gives us access to one of the largest communications networks in the world and a host of world-class, industry-leading tools. This means that our clients receive the best of class service.
We are currently looking for an individual with the below highlighted Skills and experience to take up the position of Account Manager.
- Be able to build partnerships and strategic working relationships,
- Build and manage a high-performance team,
- Excellent communication and negotiation skills; strong flair in written and oral presentations
- Strategy formulation and implementation
- Creative Designs & Event Organization
- Minimum of 5 years’ solid experience in the relevant field with at least 3 years in a managerial level
- A solution-oriented individual committed to driving tangible value in a dynamic business environment
- Excellent emotional intelligence and great interpersonal skills
- Bachelor’s degree in Communication/Journalism or any related field
- A related post graduate qualification will be an added advantage.
The Job holder’s responsibilities are as below:
- Recommend and implement initiatives that are aligned with the clients’ business objectives.
- Evaluates results against objectives, programmes, plans.
- Contributes to elements of PR plans and programmes in conjunction with Senior Account Manager/Account Director/Director.
- Demonstrates strong writing skills for publishable and/or media coverage worth PR content generation (Press releases, bylined articles, though-leadership articles, case studies, etc.); edits material prepared by others.
- Review materials (e.g. news releases, backgrounders, fact sheets, bios, newsletters and pitch letters) prepared by AAE’s and AE’s.
- Develop materials on complex issues like Q&A, speeches.
- Excellent client handling skills
- Well-developed strategic, planning and creative PR skills, including proposal writing
- Excellent writing and editing skills
- Strong media contacts and media relations skills with greater knowledge of media landscape and is able to effectively pitch newsworthy story ideas to the editors and journalists.
- Works hand in hand with the Events Coordinator and Account Executive to deliver events that meet client objectives as per the APN standards.
- Actively builds positive relationships with the client to gain insights that would contribute to better service and positioning.
- Demonstrates clear communication & presentation skills. Able to articulate rationales and propositions for and to the client.
- Possesses interview for research skills.
Administrative / Agency Operations
- Runs internal planning meetings; follows-through on actions.
- Advises management of deadlines, expectations and escalates issues as necessary while observing basic protocol matters.
- Understands APN’s business objectives.
- Consistently delivers as per APN Gold Standards.
- Proficiency in using APN Account Management tools.
- Becomes an ambassador for company both within APN and the wider industry.
- Becomes the key day-to-day point of contact for the client.
- Demonstrates knowledge of the client’s competitive landscape and industry sector.
- Demonstrates effective use of internal resources (team and tools) – skills, knowledge, services.
- Manage client administration duties such as billing and monthly client reporting.
Account management and strategic thinking and planning
- Develop well-thought out; complete communication plans for clients.
- Manages projects and plans and ensures implementation.
- Demonstrates in-depth knowledge of client and PR progamme objectives, ensuring achievement of same.
- Develop and place appropriate stories by and about the client across traditional and digital media platforms. This can be business, trade, and consumer media as needed.
- Maintain clear and consistent communication between the client and APN.
- Partner with client and other communication entities (e.g. advertising agency) to develop and complete communications plan.
- Looks for ways to increase client satisfaction; flags to Senior Account Manager, Account Director and team.
- Manages relationship to maximize account development opportunities.
- Understands the need to achieve billable targets as directed by Account Director.
- Develops proposal writing and contributes to pitch preparations.
- Research assist and present new business proposals.
- Develop original research, surveys and market studies for existing and new business proposals.
- Possesses strong presentation skills.
- Maintains and develops contacts, follows up on networking opportunities.
- Recognizes new business opportunities and works with AD to action.
- Contributes to team development and staff team & project planning.
- Conducts appraisals at Associate Account Executive/Account Executive levels.
- Contributes to professional development of junior executives via coaching and mentoring.
- Maintains positive relationships with colleagues and management teams.
If you believe you possess the above skills and experience and ready to execute the above mentioned tasks, kindly answer the below questions and send your answers, updated CV and details of 3 referees to email@example.com by 12:00noon Monday 10th December 2018 with the subject heading ACCOUNT MANAGER.
- Do you prefer working alone or as part of a team? Why?
- Describe the type of work environment in which you are most productive.
- How do you prefer to get feedback from your Line Manager: through formal performance reviews or daily/weekly meetings? Why?
- What do you hope to achieve during your first six months if given the role?
- What would make you quit a job in the first month?
- What would you say or do to motivate your team during a challenging project/task?
- What were the most positive aspects of the last job you held?
- Have you ever found a company policy unfair or inefficient? If so, what was the policy and why? What did you do or what would you do, in this case?
- How would you change an institutional “this is how we always do it” attitude, if you felt there was a better approach?
- How would you take feedback from your juniors?