Job Title: Finance Officer – AgriFin Digital Farmer Program
The Mercy Corps AgriFin Finance Department is responsible for all financial functions of AgriFin Programs, including accounting, payments and banking, payroll, budgeting, financial reporting, and grant financial management and compliance.
The Mercy Corps Finance Department ensures compliance with local laws, donor regulations as well as Mercy Corps’ internal policies and procedures. In its role as a support to the Program Department, the Finance Department provides timely reports and assistance to the AgriFin Program Director and the Program team to ensure that financial resources are used efficiently and effectively.
We are presently looking for a committed and dynamic individual to take up the position of a Finance Officer, for our AgriFin Digital Farmer Program.
General Position Summary: Working in the AgriFin Finance Department under the direction of the Finance and Compliance Director and Finance Manager, the Finance Officer will assist in the payment processing, accounting and documentation of all financial transactions in timely and accurate manner.
He/she will assist finance team in the month end closeout of ledgers and shall be responsible for monthly document submissions to HQ for purpose of donor reporting. The Finance Officer position will be based in Nairobi while providing support to all AgriFin programs and countries.
Essential Job Functions:
- Maintain the bank file, ensuring that all bank information is properly filed and updated
- Maintain custody of the office cash and office cash levels as per the office Cash Management Policy
- Maintain the cash advance tracking sheet, follow up on uncleared advances and ensure advances are reconciling with general ledger records
- Process bank payments via online banking, checks or wire transfers.
- Prepare payment vouchers and ensure that all transactions are properly and fully documented and recorded on daily basis
- Prepare monthly payroll based on information provided from HR and timesheets
- Prepare payroll accrual entries, process statutory remittances and maintain payroll filing as per MC requirements
- Review transactions and supporting documentation for accuracy, completeness and compliance with MC policies
- Prepare the monthly bank reconciliations
- Maintain benefits accrual documentation and prepare monthly benefits accrual entries
- Prepare monthly amortization entries of prepaid accounts
- Assist in account maintenance and reconciliations as part of month end closeout process
- Prepare photocopies and scans of vouchers and other supporting documents required for HQ and donor reporting
- File all cash and bank vouchers and maintain voucher filing system (hard copy & electronically) according to MC procedures
- Assist with monthly cash flow projection process
- Assist with audit related requirements
- Conduct himself/herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring credit to Mercy Corps and to not jeopardize its humanitarian mission.
- Other duties as assigned.
Direct supervision of: N/A
Reports Directly To: Finance Manager
Works Directly With: AgriFin finance, program and operations staff in Kenya and Zambia; Coordinates work with AgriFin teams in other countries.
Knowledge and Experience:
- Two or more years of bookkeeping, banking or cashiering experience
- A degree in accounting or a relevant business field is desirable.
- Strong computer skills in MS Office programs, particularly Excel
- Accuracy in the processing of cash transactions, mathematical aptitude and attention to details
- Excellent oral and written English skills
- A clear understanding of finance and procurement ethics as well as the willingness and ability to enforce compliance with Mercy Corps and donor policies and procedures is essential.
- A high level of personal integrity, honesty and transparency in all cash handling is absolutely essential.
- The ability to interact effectively with international and national staff members is required.
- A demonstrated ability to work quickly and accurately, meet deadlines and process information in support of changing program activities is necessary.
How to Apply
Interested candidates who meet the above required qualifications and experience should submit a cover letter, detailed curriculum vitae (CV) listing three professional referees (including a recent supervisor) to email@example.com on or before Friday 21st December 2018 by 5.00pm.
The email subject line must clearly show the job title.
Applications without the right subject heading will be automatically disqualified.
Please do not attach any certificates.
(Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. We will only get in touch with shortlisted candidates)
NB: Mercy Corps does not charge any fee at any stage of the recruitment process
WE ENCOURAGE QUALIFIED CANDIDATES TO APPLY.