AHK – Delegation of German Industry and Commerce in Kenya
We are hiring two Project Managers (Business Advisory Services)
About AHK Services Eastern Africa Ltd (AHK Kenya): We are the key player of German foreign business development on behalf of the Federal Republic of Germany in East Africa.
We represent German business interests in East Africa and inform about and promote Germany as a business location. Our mandate is to promote bilateral business relations through advocacy and engagement with state institutions and government bodies.
For that we offer a broad range of services such as market entry facilitation, analysis and research and also organise delegation visits, conferences and events. The Delegation of German Industry and Commerce in Kenya, via its service company AHK Services Eastern Africa Ltd, supports German companies in finding a market in Kenya and East Africa and vice versa and establishes business contacts with potential partners and customers.
Established in 2012, we are now a team of 22 at the AHK Kenya offices and cover East Africa from Nairobi.
We are looking for two energetic Project Managers to join our growing team.
About the Role: The Project Managers will join our Services Team. You will deliver value for the clients of AHK Kenya through supporting companies’ market entry in Kenya and East Africa; facilitating partnerships between East African and Germany companies, organizing networking events, conferences, delegation trips and customer events and by conducting market research and drawing relevant insights.
Therefore, we are looking for candidates with strong commitment, high energy and interest to support an international cluster of clients in Kenya, the entire Eastern African region and Germany!
Note: In our small organisation with many activities everyone supports across the five areas outlined below. But as we are growing the team, we are open to team members having specialization areas – please indicate your specific interests in your application!
Your responsibilities will include:
Conducting market research and contributing insights to AHK’s growing knowledge base
- Establish research needs of AHK’s clients.
- Conduct desk and market research, collect data, identify market trends and opportunities.
- Map industries and identify key players, e.g. potential business partners or customers for our clients.
- Present your research in adequate and attractive formats (e.g. Excel, Power Point etc).
- Stay updated about certain markets, industries sand key global and local trends.
Delivering Market Entry Facilitation Services and Business Advisory
- Respond to incoming questions related to trade between Germany and Eastern Africa, e.g. import, export or market entry related queries.
- Display strong customer service attitude, promote strong understanding and help facilitate trade between East Africa and Germany.
- Contribute to our knowledge base and improve templates and fact sheets to deliver relevant and up-to-date information to incoming requests faster.
- Conceptualize and organize customer events such as conferences, networking cocktails, launches and other events within our projects or for our clients.
- Liaise with speakers, participants, exhibitors, service providers and other stakeholders to make the event a success.
- Apply smart techniques and tools (planning, budgeting, event management, evaluation etc) to ensure efficient and quality events.
- Over time, help streamline AHK’s quality of events.
Sales and Business Development for AHK’s Service Department
- Identify and network with potential clients, e.g. by attending events and forums.
- Understand the interests and needs of potential clients in conversation. Draft proposals and service offers in-line with AHK’s mandate using templates and standards.
- Based on your market and trends analysis, identify opportunities and suggest ideas for new projects and initiatives AHK could venture into.
- Represent AHK and our mandate and services in the market.
- Conceptualize and manage smaller and bigger projects such as Fact Finding missions for single clients or business delegations for a group of companies.
- Carry out any work required, including identifying needs of participating companies, conducting relevant market research, brokering B2B meetings with East African counterparts, arranging travel etc.
- Join selected travel and meetings, ensure that our clients have a great experience during their travel and contribute to their understanding of the local market and socioeconomic realities.
- Delegate work to colleagues and use effective planning and tracking tools to ensure project goals are met even when things get hectic.
Who we are looking for:
- You are excited about business, international business relations and business advisory.
- You have at least 3-5 years of work experience in project management, research, event management and/or business advisory.
- You have experience working in an international team or with international clients and possess strong confidence and self-awareness in intercultural settings.
- You are comfortable with dynamic environments and willing to put in the hard and sometimes tedious work of pulling together a great event at short notice or facilitating cross-border business relations. You are determined, resilient and cope well with stress.
- You enjoy a customer-driven job and stay energized through constant people interaction.
- You are very organized, with good time management.
- Past experience in managing others on projects is highly preferred.
- Strong writing skills: professional emails, actionable meeting minutes and concise projector research write-ups.
- You enjoy working in teams to make things happen and have strong communication and interpersonal skills.
- You anticipate issues and have a proven track record of being resourceful in fast-paced environments.
- You have excellent Computer and Microsoft Office skills, including Power Point, Word and Excel.
- You hold a degree in business studies, social sciences, economics or related.
- Experience in a consulting or professional services company and understanding a busy project work environment is an added advantage.
- German language skills are not required but are an added advantage.
You will fit into our culture if:
- You are excited about moving East Africa forward through business and trade, industry linkages, and strengthening the business ecosystem at large.
- You enjoy a busy work environment with multiple parallel projects and activities.
- You learn fast and adapt quickly to new demands.
- You enjoy working in an international team.
- You are curious to learn about German business practices and economic realities.
Why work with us?
- Be part of driving socio-economic development through business expansion and growth.
- Many opportunities to get exposed to interesting projects, networks and events. You will witness interesting business and trade relationships come to life.
- We are an international, result-driven, fun and collaborative team
- Competitive remuneration and health insurance
- East Africa Exposure
The role is based in our Nairobi office. Ideal start date is mid February or March 2019. Due to the nature of work additional hours may be required. Events or activities may happen during early mornings or extend into evenings and may require your participation.
There is a three-month probation period and we will agree on performance and learning objectives.
Want to apply?
- Please go through our website in-depth and see how our work relates to your
- Have a look at this guide with tips on our selection process http://bit.ly/CandidatesGuide
- Fill out the application form under http://bit.ly/JoinAHK-PM
- You will be asked to upload your CV in PDF format as part of the application form. Please ensure it is tailored to this role and no more than 3 pages.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the roles are filled.
Recruitment process in collaboration with edge