Job Title: Governance and Policy Advisor
Introduction: Feed the Future Kenya Livestock Market Systems Activity (LMS) is part of US government’s Global Food Security Strategy activities seeking to enable people, households, and communities in 5 ASAL counties escape poverty and chronic vulnerability and to strengthen their resilience sustainably in the face of complex risk and recurrent shocks and stresses by leveraging collective action in expanding economic opportunities and by strengthening institutions, market systems, governance, and human capital.
Frontier Counties Development Council (FCDC) is a collective economic bloc composed of the ASAL county governments that promotes cooperation, coordination and information sharing between the counties in view of enhancing socio-economic development and promoting peaceful co-existence among its members
Position Summary: LMS and FCDC invite qualified candidates to apply for the position of a Governance and Policy Advisor. The position will be based at FCDC Nairobi office under the supervision of the CEO and will be responsible for providing technical support and guidance to LMS and FCDC programs.
The Advisor will guide FCDC’s policy work in LMS’s five operational counties of Turkana, Isiolo, Marsabit, Garissa and Wajir, and collaborate with technical teams under the associate awards to build capacity at national and county levels while strengthening linkages between the two levels of government to promote equitable growth within the livestock sector in northern Kenya.
He/she will also support county governments, in part through the FCDC, to harmonize and implement policy related to livestock sector, range-land and conflict management and advocate appropriate policies with the relevant line Ministries.
He/She will support and build the technical capacity of county governments to advocate for their needs within line Ministries, and to effectively articulate the principles of devolution.
Targeted areas include but not limited to County Livestock Strategies, County Sector Plans, Capacity assessment of Department of Agriculture, Livestock and Fisheries, Livestock Feed Policy, Range-land Management Bill, Livestock Production, Health and Marketing Board Bill, the business enabling Environment, CIPs, and County Integrated Development Plans (CIDPs), County Annual Development Plans, among others.
Essential duties and responsibilities:
- Leads Associate Awards (AAs) policy and regulatory capacity building activities for FCDC and County Governments, in alignment with the Big Four Agenda.
- Supports county governments to harmonize and implement livestock market systems policies and adopt/promote inclusive market systems principles.
- Reviews current policies, codes, regulations, and taxes across target counties to gain a thorough understanding of how they affect the livestock market system and identify any policy gaps for FCDC and County Governments to address
- Interpret large, complex pieces of information, often at short notice, in order to support the team with governance and policy demands facing the FCDC
Researches and supports policy, regulatory and management frameworks, and strategic investment plans necessary for the livestock sector to thrive in northern Kenya
- Coordinates with relevant PREG and Feed the Future partners on information sharing, and Collaboration Learning and Adaption
- Complement LMS work to strengthen county and community rangeland and water management and emergency response
- Harmonize and implement policy related to livestock market systems and to advocate with relevant line ministries. These include but not limited to county livestock strategies, livestock feed policy, rangeland management policy and bill, Livestock production, health and Marketing Board Bill the business enabling environment, CIPs, and County Integrated Development Plans (CIDPs)
- Collaborate with FCDC, private sector, and other relevant programs to develop a coordinated advocacy and policy support agenda
- Build on LMS work by continuing to contribute to county-level planning and support capacity building for county employees
- Post graduate degree in one of the following; organisational development, development studies, policy development, international development or equivalent qualifications and experience. Advanced degree desirable
- Minimum of five years of proven experience in leading policy and regulatory activities in the development sector or closely related field
- Experience in institutional strengthening and of working with rural communities required.
- Demonstrated experience working in collaboration with multiple stakeholders and project implementation teams.
- Demonstrate a clear understanding of, and experience with, governance bodies and international corporate governance requirements
- Demonstrated experience in policy development, analysis, and implementation.
- Outstanding planning and coordination skills, with ability to handle multiple activities concurrently, work under pressure, and meet tight deadlines.
- Strong interpersonal, diplomatic and negotiating skills and ability to build relations at all levels.
- Ability to work across different cultures and nationalities.
- Devoid of workplace harassment
- Thorough knowledge of Kenyan laws and policies related to livestock market.
- Excellent critical thinking skills and judgment. Proven willingness to make timely and sound decisions.
- Excellent oral communication skills. Ability to communicate effectively with persons on all levels both inside and outside the company.
- Strong written communication skills, including demonstrated ability to write required documents in a clear, concise, well-organized manner.
- Ability to work effectively in an atmosphere of multiple projects and deadline pressure. Self-motivated and able to follow through to end of assignments while meeting goals and deadlines.
- Ability to travel independently within the county.
- Fluency in English and Swahili, written and oral.
Please submit a resume to HRKenya@acdivoca.org no later than January 04, 2019 including the position title in the subject line.
Application shall be provided as a single attachment and list long-term employment history and any relevant short-term consulting work.
Due to the high volume of applications we are not able to respond to inquiries via phone.
Only those candidates considered for an interview will be contacted.
ACDI/VOCA is an equal opportunity employer.
Women, minorities and people from diverse groups are encouraged to apply. EOE
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by persons assigned to this position. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of the personnel in this position. Employees may perform other related duties to meet the ongoing needs of the program from time to time
Governance and Policy Advisor
Economics and Statistics
|Company / Organization||
ACDI / VOCA
|Job Opening Date||
|Job Expiry Date||
Job Title: Governance and Policy Advisor
Introduction: Feed the Future Kenya Livestock Market Systems Activity (LMS) is part of US government’s Global Food Security Strategy activities seeking to enable people, households, and communities in 5 ASAL counties escape poverty and chronic vulnerability and to strengthen their resilience sustainably in the face of complex risk and recurrent shocks and stresses by leveraging collective action in expanding economic opportunities and by strengthening institutions, market systems, governance, and human capital.www.jobsinkenya.co.ke for more job details and application process.