Jhpiego is a nonprofit global leader in the creation and delivery of transformative health care solutions for the developing world. In partnership with national governments, health experts and local communities, we build health providers’ skills and we develop systems that save lives now and guarantee healthier futures for women and their families. Our aim is revolutionizing health care for the planet’s most disadvantaged people.
Jhpiego is the lead implementing partner for Afya Kamilisha, a USAID-funded five-year project focused to support the GOK with HIV/AIDS prevention, care and treatment services in the focus counties of Kiambu, Embu, Meru, Tharaka Nithi, Murang’a, Nyandarua, Nyeri, Kitui and Kirinyaga. The project aims to increase utilization and quality of HIV prevention, care and treatment services towards meeting the 90-90-90 goal.
We are seeking experienced individuals with excellent organizational and technical skills, who are team players, dedicated, hardworking, innovative, highly motivated and able to work in a high-pressure environment requiring multi-tasking abilities.
Program Officer – Environmental Compliance
Reporting to the Health Systems Strengthening Advisor and based in Juja, the Program Officer – Environmental Compliance, will provide day-to-day implementation and oversight of environmental compliance across the Afya Kamilisha Program working closely with Jhpiego sub-contractor, Cloudburst Consulting Group.
S/he will help ensure the program’s implementation of and compliance with the Environmental Mitigation and Monitoring Plan (EMMP).
This includes, but is not limited to, administrative and technical duties pertaining to Environmental Health and Safety (EH&S) and Health Care Waste Management (HCWM), data management, record keeping, scheduling for various EH&S/ HCWM trainings programs, and field verification inspections and incident response.
- Coordinate and provide technical assistance, mentorship, coaching and/or on-the-job training to facility-based staff, MoH counterparts, and others as needed in order to facilitate effective implementation of the EMMP.
- Coordinate environmental compliance-related capacity building sessions, scheduling, arranging, and record keeping on regular basis in line with National IPC guidelines.
- Assist health facilities with the adoption and use of routine standard operating procedures job aids and other county documents on waste segregation and handwashing while availing them to all Afya Kamilisha-supported sites in collaboration with the MoH.
- Ensure and maintain effective and consistent communication between Jhpiego and the sub-contractor, the Cloudburst Consulting Group, in support of EMMP implementation.
- Schedule, organize and set up various institutional safety and compliance meetings, take minutes and ensure effective follow-up on decisions made.
- Compile, prepare and provide project environmental compliance reports as necessary.
- Contribute to the development, review and finalization of the progress reports for the funder and other program reports as required.
- Communicate with Occupational Health to monitor injury cases, worker status (vaccinations, hospital acquired infections (HAIs) and lobby with the CHMT to achieve immunization coverage among health care workers.
- Establish/revitalize facility-level IPC committees with clear TORs and support their functionality.
- Filing and maintenance of various items – including training records, medical surveillance, certifications, permits, fees, accident reports, SDS’s, chemical inventory, etc.
- Track and compile medical waste collection and treatment data for all counties.
- Hazardous waste management including facilitating acquisition and documentation of incineration contracts for higher volume peripheral facilities.
- Facility and equipment inspections including availing maintenance charts for incinerators and certification of biosafety cabinets/hoods.
- Bachelor’s degree with clinical or public health background preferred.
- 3-5 years’ experience in the Environmental Health & Safety field, preferably in healthcare waste management.
- Direct experience developing and delivering trainings in environmental compliance.
- Experience with US government-funded programs is a plus.
- Highly organized with the ability to prioritize multiple responsibilities.
- Proactive, self-motivated and demonstrate ability to handle multiple projects and changing priorities under pressure of deadlines.
- Effective collaborative skills; performing comfortably in group settings.
- Attention to detail and accuracy in data management, analysis, and reporting.
- Strong interpersonal, presentation and communications skills, both oral and written.
- Ability to communicate effectively, instilling trust and confidence.
- Be cooperative, hardworking, flexible and dependable.
- Be of high integrity and have a sense of confidentiality.
How to Apply
Interested applicants should send an application & CV with 3 referees to the following email address: HR.Kenya@jhpiego.org or at our website www.jobs-jhpiego.icims.com by 11th January 2019.
Indicate how your education and experience qualifies you for the position.
Only those selected for interview will be contacted
Jhpiego is an equal opportunity employer promoting gender, equity and diversity.
Persons with disabilities and other minority groups are encouraged to apply.
Program Officer (Environmental Compliance)
Health and Medical
|Company / Organization||
|Job Opening Date||
|Job Expiry Date||
Jhpiego is a nonprofit global leader in the creation and delivery of transformative health care solutions for the developing world. In partnership with national governments, health experts and local communities, we build health providers’ skills and we develop systems that save lives now and guarantee healthier futures for women and their families. Our aim is revolutionizing health care for the planet’s most disadvantaged people.www.jobsinkenya.co.ke for more job details and application process.