The KEMRI / University of Washington Study
The KEMRI / UW Research Collaboration aims to conduct interdisciplinary, setting-specific research aimed at improving the lives of women and children living in Kenya. Specifically, our research strives to understand various infectious diseases afflicting these populations and testing interventions. We are looking for motivated, committed, and honest staff member to join our team.
Job Title: Study Nurse
Job Group MR/7
Job Description: The Study Nurse will work as part of a study team responsible for operating one of six study sites in part of the clinical trial titled “Antibiotics for Children with Severe Diarrhea (ABCD) Trial”.
She/he will participant consenting, enrollment, HIV-counseling, follow up, and management of care study participants. The Study Nurse will also be responsible for data collection, direct data entry, and responding to data queries. She/he will be based in Nyanza where patient recruitment will be happening.
The Study Nurse will report directly to the site manager and will be a part of a large clinical-research team located in Kenya and the United States. She/he is expected to work under minimal supervision and provide guidance to other study staff under her/him.
- Diploma in nursing
- At least three (3) years working experience in clinical research or in a busy clinic setting;
- Registration certificate and valid practicing license from the relevant professional body;
- Experience in clinical trials will be an added advantage;
- Computer literate (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Skype, email)
- Excellent communication and organizational skills
- Able to multi-task
- Team player
- Highly detail oriented
- Direct clinical care to infants
- Fluency in English and Kiswahili. Knowledge of Dho/Luo/Kuria an added advantage
- Screen, consent, and enroll study participant who meet the eligibility criteria
- Accurately and completely fill out all study forms
- Keep records and check study forms for completeness and accuracy each day
- Respond to questions about the study posed by participants and others
- Ensure study site operations are efficiently
- Ensure screening and appointment logbooks are maintained in safe and confidential location at the site
- Ensure participants charts and specimen are conveyed daily between clinic and office
- Maintain proper communication between clinic and Study Coordinators office
- Maintain adequate supplies at the sites for example study forms
- Maintain inventory of supplies
- Assist study investigators in running errands for routine activities
- Give continued counseling and psychological support to study participants
- Assist with translation as needed by study personnel
- Work in clinic as needed to collect specimens and ensure their delivery
- Oversee the purchase of equipment and supplies needed for the study
- Assist in the supervision of clinical and research activities in the clinic
- Double check ALL forms and samples to ensure they are properly completed AND labeled
- Submit weekly summary of study progress and areas needing attention
- Conduct weekly inventory of medical supplies to ensure that they are organized and quantities sufficient for the study site
- Perform other duties that may be given by the Study Coordinator
- Fill-in for site staff members when necessary
- Uphold the mission and vision of KEMRI/UW organization
Terms of Employment: One year renewable contract as per KEMRI scheme of service and a probation period for the first 3 months. The successful candidate shall be based in Nyanza.
Remuneration: Compensation is negotiable within a relevant grade, based on educational levels, relevant experience and demonstrated competency. The salary scheme is based on the KEMRI salary scales.
How to Apply
If you meet the above requirements, please CLICK HERE to complete the online application form and then send an application letter with your current CV that contains details of your qualifications, experience and the full-time telephone number and names and addresses of 3 professional referees and copies of certificates and testimonials to Email address: firstname.lastname@example.org to reach us by Wednesday 9th January, 2019 at 3.00 p.m.
KEMRI IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER COMMITTED TO DIVERSITY. PERSONS WITH DISABILITY, WOMEN, YOUTH AND THOSE FROM MARGINALISED AREAS ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY. KEMRI DOES NOT CHARGE A FEE AT ANY STAGE OF ITS RECRUITMENT PROCESS INCLUDING APPLICATION, INTERVIEW MEETING AND PROCESSING OF OFFER LETTER.
Note: Only the shortlisted candidates will be contacted.