Career Opportunity: Accountant
RTI International is an independent organization dedicated to conducting innovative, multidisciplinary research that improves the human condition. With a worldwide staff of more than 4,000 people, RTI offers innovative research and development and a full spectrum of multidisciplinary services. Universities in North
Carolina founded RTI in 1958 as a centerpiece of the Research Triangle Park.
RTI International is currently seeking staff for the U.S Agency for International Development (USAID) funded Kenya Youth Employment and Skills Program (K-YES) in Kenya that aims to enhance employability of Kenyan youth (Ages 18-35) for increased wage and self-employment, underemployed youth who have not completed secondary school.
K-YES project is a 5 year activity that will result in increased workforce competitiveness in the sectors targeted currently implementing in Nairobi, Kwale, Kericho Bungoma, Garissa, West Pokot, Migori, Kisii & Nyeri Counties.
We seek to recruit an Accountant to be based in Nairobi Office.
The Accountant coordinates all accounting procedures of the K-YES Project Initiatives together with field offices.
S/he communicates with and supports the project by working closely with the Deputy Chief of Party, Administration team and the Project Management Team. S/he maintains regular contact with the field Team in the field Office to ensure that the project receives support in the specific functional areas of the role. S/he
will also links with the other RTI staff to develop understanding and capacity in project operations support requirements.
S/he is knowledgeable about the technical project result areas, work plan implementation and scheduled technical reporting through regular interaction with the technical team and Deputy Chief of Party.
S/he is aware of, and adheres to RTI’s, and Client’s, financial, procurement and administrative procedures in all activities.
- Prepare payment vouchers for approval and manage payments of suppliers, consultants, subcontractors and employees’ advances.
- Monitor, reconcile and report on account receivables and payables.
- Review payment vouchers, employee’s expense reports and journal entries before recording in accounting software.
- Support the project in meeting month end close process and accounting deadlines.
- Provide responses to accounting compliance issues and support in resolution to compliance issues raised by Q&A team
- Support internal and external audits of projects
- Manage the VAT/DA1 Accounting and follow up process.
- Verify and check financial documents for accuracy.
- Review and ensure that payments to vendors have adequate support documentations
- Effective management of the project payables to ensure they are processed in a timely manner
- Ensure all payments processed are accounted for and recorded in QuickBooks accurately.
- Prepare monthly bank, M-pesa and other account reconciliations.
- Provide leadership, mentorship and supervision to the Finance Assistants.
- Assist in budget preparation, monitoring and monthly expense tracking.
- Petty cash management.
Any other duty that may be assigned by the supervisor.
Qualifications and Experience:
- A minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree and 3 years of experience or Master’s degree and 1 year of experience.
- CPA (K) or equivalent required.
- Good understanding of Book Keeping procedures;
- Computer skills, including knowledge of Windows, Microsoft Word, Excel and QuickBooks;
- Willingness to be flexible in working hours and adapt to changing priorities and deadlines.
- Prior experience with USAID-funded projects.
- Experience of working within a busy finance department.
- Good communication and listening skills.
- Good organizational skills used in planning own work.
- Ability to work under pressure and meet targets and deadlines.
- Able to respond effectively to changing priorities.
- Good analytical and problem solving ability.
Please email cover letter and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org by 13th December, 2018.
Applicants must include the POSITION TITLE in the subject line of the email.
Please do not attach copies of certificates.
We regret that only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
Please note: RTI International does not use agents or require any form of payment in the recruitment process.
We are proud to be an EEO/AA employer M/F/D/V