Process Engineer – Production
Sanergy is an award-winning social venture that builds healthy, prosperous communities by making hygienic sanitation accessible and affordable in Africa’s urban informal settlements. Our systems-based approach to solving the sanitation crisis involves five key steps: we build a dense network of low-cost, high-quality waterless sanitation facilities – called Fresh Life Toilets.
We franchise the toilets to community residents, who run them as commercial toilets; landlords, who offer them as a value-added service to their tenants; and schools, to ensure children always have access to a safe sanitation option. We provide critical support services – such as access to finance, business analytics, training and aspirational marketing and branding.
We collect the waste regularly and safely remove it from the community for treatment. We convert the waste into valuable end products, such as organic fertilizer and insect-based animal protein, which we sell to Kenyan farms. We launched our first toilet in November 2011, and we now have a network of over 600 active Fresh Life Toilets run by over 300 Fresh Life Operators.
We have collected and converted over 7,800 tons of waste. At the same time, we have built a team of over 250 people. For our work, we have been recognized by Fast Company as one of the 10 Most Innovative Companies in the World Doing Social Good and one of the 10 Best Companies in Africa.
We are an increasingly sophisticated, highly intricate organization with many moving parts. Sanergy seeks accomplished, driven individuals who will make substantive contributions to the organization.
We currently seek to recruit a Process Engineer – Production who will work in our Production department.
A typical day for you might include the following
- Sales & Operations Planning: Create and review Sales and Operations plans for pure protein, Evergrow standard product and residue product
- Production Planning: Design and implement visual system for cascading S&OP targets to weekly production targets on the shop floor, and reporting actuals back up to production control in order to adjust and refine the S&OP.
- Production Monitoring and Control: Set up systems to track key production metrics (yield, cycle time, recipe adherence, labor utilization, machine utilization) and process adherence metrics (quality, health, safety, environment and maintenance adherence metrics) in a visible way to the line staff, production supervisors, managers and the business success team so as to provide a platform for variance analysis and improvement discussions.
- Inventory Management & distribution: Set up systems for the control of inventory on site. Organize for the transport of fertilizer inventory to satellite Warehouses.
- Risk Management & Continuous Improvement: Utilize a risk management approach to refine S&OP plans. Liaise with the Plant Manager, QHSE, Finance and Business Risk departments to understand risks and implement mitigating measures for the same.
Skills and qualifications you’ll need
- An Engineering, Applied Science, or Science degree; preferred in Process Engineering or Industrial Engineering, Higher Diploma preferred. Certifications in process improvement methodologies will be an added advantage.
- Minimum of 2 years of experience in plant management, process improvement, strategic planning and execution
- Demonstration of an exceptional approach to supervising large and cross-functional teams
- Team supervisory experience with an emphasis on developing team members through conducting performance management
- Demonstrated ability to navigate ambiguity and comfort with continually adapting plans
- Experience in a startup and a multicultural environment is highly desirable
- Strong interpersonal, communication & presentation skills (verbal, written) and the ability to build effective internal and external client relationships. Should have the ability to exercise tact, courtesy, and judgment in working with all levels of staff.
- Pleasant, energetic, confident, with a positive, can-do attitude, good work ethic, and professionalism.
Qualities you’ll need to fit in well with the Sanergy-Stars
- A collaborative spirit that compels you to work beyond your team
- A desire to understand and serve customers
- A willingness to embrace diversity, integrity, and empathy
- An innovative approach to assessing and testing new ideas
- An enthusiasm to achieve set targets and improve yourself professionally
Kindly note this position is based in Kinanie, Mavoko constituency and should you be successful you will be required to live close to the area.
Clearly indicating your available start state, your resume/CV and cover letter by 9th January, 2019.