The SHARP study aims to investigate the use of assisted partner services (APS) and phylogenetic testing to prevent the spread of HIV and hepatitis C among people who inject drugs (PWID) Kilifi and Mombasa, and their environs. We are committed to excellence in our research, and to working with vulnerable populations with the utmost respect and care.
We require all team members to provide ethical and respectful services to vulnerable, key populations, and to maintain flexible hours in order to interface effectively with international partners.
The Laboratory Technician will be responsible for handling and processing of study samples in Kilifi/Mombasa on a daily basis, and liaising with peripheral laboratories for testing of samples and follow-up of lab results.
The technician will strictly follow the laboratory SOPs and maintain a laboratory results database and sample inventory. S/he will be report to the Research Director, Laboratory Director and Principal Investigator. S/he must be able to work with minimal supervision and for long hours when necessary.
Responsibilities will include:
- Carry out routine and specialized laboratory procedures.
- Specimen processing.
- Performing separation, cryopreservation and archiving samples.
- Safe and effective delivery of samples to different laboratories.
- Ensure laboratory results are entered accurately and in a timely manner on the report forms and into the database and facilitate retrieval of hard copies of data as requested by Principal Investigator, Co-investigators and clinic staff.
- Prepare samples for storage and shipping as needed.
- Diploma or higher degree in Biological Sciences from a major institution of higher education.
- Good interpersonal skills and ability to interact productively with other team members
- Excellent Communication skills (written and verbal).
- Computer literate with working knowledge of Microsoft office (Word, Excel, Outlook).
- Experience handling and processing of research samples will be an added advantage
Desirable qualities, skills and abilities:
- BSc Biological Sciences will be an added advantage.
- Experience in Good Laboratory practice (GLP) would be an added advantage
How to Apply
To apply, CLICK HERE to complete our online form and then email your current CV, copies of certificates and testimonials to email@example.com not later than January 11, 2019.