Vacancy Announcement: Associate Legal Officer
Background and Context: The African Agricultural Technology Foundation (AATF) is an International not-for-profit organization designed to facilitate and promote public / private partnerships for the access and delivery of appropriate agricultural technologies that meet the needs of resource-poor smallholder farmers in Sub Saharan Africa [SSA].
Through its catalytic and facilitative role, AATF acts as the neutral intermediary and responsible party between owners and/or holders of technologies and those that need them to promote food security and enhance livelihoods for smallholder farmers in SSA.
AATF was incorporated in the United Kingdom in January 2003, in Kenya in April 2003 and in Nigeria in October 2009.
It was registered as a charity under the laws of England and Wales in January 2005.
Under the direct supervision of the Director, Legal Affairs, the Associate Legal Officer is responsible for providing legal support to the Foundation and its start-up ventures.
The Associate Legal Officer is expected to work in close collaboration with all departments, partner organizations and relevant government departments to ensure AATF is compliant with the local laws of the countries we operate in.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Preparing, reviewing and negotiating contracts for AATF and its ventures;
- Managing intellectual property issues including provision of training for all staff and partners and filing intellectual applications;
- Preparing legal advisory opinions, research and analysis;
- Providing legal and board secretarial services to AATF ventures;
- Performing any other relevant work assigned by the Director, Legal Affairs.
Minimum Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor of Law (LL.B) degree from a university recognized ¡n Kenya;
- Post-graduate Diploma in Legal Studies from the Kenya School of Law;
- Advocate of the High Court of Kenya;
- Be of good standing and possess the Law Society of Kenya Practicing Certificate;
- Two years’ experience in a busy legal set up;
- Fluency in written and spoken English.
- Knowledge of French is an added advantage.
Additional eligibility competences and desired characteristics
- Self-driven individual with a passion and flair for helping organizations succeed;
- Good writing skills;
- Excel lent IT skills particularly data management and processing packages;
- Ability to work professionally in a diverse cultural setting;
- Ability and willingness to learn and quickly adapt;
- Team player with strong interpersonal and leadership skills;
- Strong analytical skills.
Submission of Applications
Qualified candidates are invited to apply through our website at https://www.aatf-africa.org/aatf_jobs/associate-legal-officer/ on or before 6 February 2019 or send email to email@example.com and clearly indicate on the email subject Associate Legal Officer.
AATF is an equal opportunity employer; committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified female and male candidates from all religious and ethnic backgrounds and any other diversity groups to apply end become a part of our organization.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Closing date: 6 February 2019