Director, Legal Counsel
Job Ref: EHC/1175/ 19
Our Client is a fast-growing business with interests in financial services, banking, telecommunications, real estate and various other industries. The Group has an immediate opening for a qualified Legal Counsel to oversee the legal aspects of the Group and its subsidiary companies to be based in Hargeisa, Somaliland.
Reporting to the Group CEO, The purpose of the role is to safeguard Group reputation by guaranteeing that the company strictly follows law guidelines; and giving accurate and timely legal advice to the board, senior management and staff about all relevant legal issues (labor law, partnerships, international ventures, corporate finance etc.)
- Give accurate and timely counsel to executives in a variety of legal topics
- Collaborate with management to devise efficient defense strategies regarding legal cases
- Specify internal governance policies and regularly monitor compliance with relevant laws
- Research and evaluate different risk factors regarding business decisions and operations from a legal perspective
- Apply effective risk management techniques and offer proactive advise on possible legal issues
- Communicate and negotiate with external parties (regulators, external counsel, public authority etc.), creating relations of trust
- Manage work of outside legal advisors
- Draft and solidify agreements, contracts and other legal documents to protect the company’s full legal rights
- Deal with complex matters with multiple stakeholders and forces
- Provide clarification on legal language or specifications to everyone in the organization
- Conduct work with integrity, responsibility and independence.
- Maintain current knowledge of alterations in legislation
- Proven experience as a legal counsel in a business environment
- Excellent knowledge and understanding of corporate law and procedures
- Full comprehension of the influences of the external environment of a corporation
- Demonstrated ability to create legal defensive or proactive strategies
- High degree of professional ethics and integrity
- Sound judgment and ability to analyze complex situations and information
- Strong analytical skills. Ability to assess risk in an objective, practical and responsible manner and provide fair, well-reasoned, independent and transparent advice.
- Ability to supervise outside counsel in a cost-effective manner
- University degree in Law or J.D. degree. Qualification to practice law in at least one jurisdiction. Business Administration degree will be considered an advantage;
- At last 8 years of relevant legal experience since earning law degree, preferably in a law firm, international financial institution or corporation with international business. Candidate should have experience in partnering with an executive team, and a high level of written and oral communication skills.
- Excellent command of English; fluency in Somali would be an advantage.
Candidates will be required to satisfy the requirements of Chapter six (6) of the Constitution of Kenya 2010 including:
- Certificate of good Conduct from the Directorate of Criminal Investigations (CID)
- Valid Tax Compliance Certificate from the Kenya revenue Authority (KRA)
- Clearance Certificate from the Higher Education Loans Board (HELB)
- Clearance for the Ethics and Anti-Corruption Commission (EACC)
- Clearance from the Credit Reference Bureau (CRB)
How to Apply
If you meet the requirements as stipulated above, please email your application letter accompanied with a detailed CV in PDF format clearly indicating your current position, current and expected remuneration to the following email address: email@example.com on or before close of business on Tuesday 5th February 2019.
Eagle HR Consultants DO NOT charge any interview fee(s) to any