Our client is an established law firm with over 20 years of operation in Kenya and committed to providing excellent legal service in Criminal Law, Banking & Finance, Aviation Law, Corporate & Company Law, Conveyancing & Alternative Disputes Resolution.
They seek to hire a smart and experienced person in the capacity of Litigation Advocate to be based in Mombasa.
Purpose of the Position: Responsible for handling a variety of complex assigned legal matters within the department. Applies subject matter knowledge; requires capacity to understand specific needs or requirements to apply skills/knowledge. May provide functional advice or training to less experienced advocates.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Drafting and reviewing of litigation documents including pleadings, notices, affidavits & correspondence;
- Furnishing legal opinions and advice on any areas of the law arising in civil & commercial litigation
- Consultations with clients and counsel
- Reviewing new legislations
- Attending court at the High Court and Magistrate’s Court
- Conducting negotiations with a view to settling potentially litigious matters
- Conducting the administration of an attorney’s practice, including file management and electronic time-keeping
- Draw up contracts and other legal documents ensuring attention to detail
Case & Transaction management:
- To be able to demonstrate that they are technically very able across a sufficiently wide area, able to work without significant supervision and have developed a particular strength and reputation in their work area.
- To be able to show a track record of achieving their fee targets and time targets and that the targets are appropriate for their position and level of qualification.
- To provide a high quality legal service to all clients.
- Offering advice on the law, legal procedures and a wide range of associated issues
- Research on diverse range of assigned issues, documents and case history to ensure accuracy of advice and procedures
- Keeping up-to-date with changes in the law
Client care & Practice support:
- Receive requests for legal advice from current and potential clients and deciding on the most appropriate responses to make to these requests.
- To develop and maintain good client relationship skills, gaining clients’ confidence and that of other professionals
- To be strategic and commercially aware and be fully familiar with the firm’s current strategy. Be able to have knowledgeable discussion about the market the firm operates in, the threats and opportunities the department faces and the future plans for the Department and their role in those plans.
- Attract additional business from new and existing clients.
- To have a clear understanding of what it would take to develop a career to the next level.
- Attend internal training and external training as and when required.
- Maintain high standards of professional conduct while generating adequate practice income, ensuring that the fees earned sufficiently exceed total costs and expenses incurred.
- Proven track record of effectively delegating work to other members of the department and supervising the work effectively.
- Successfully be in charge of a matter that involves other departments.
- Dedication to the firm:
- Participate in team meetings
- Ability to identify projects and use their initiative to get them up and running.
An ideal candidate must:
- Be an advocate of the High Court of Kenya, with a current Practicing Certificate
- Have at least 4years post Admission working experience in a busy Law firm.
- Be Computer literate.
- Have excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrate excellent organizational skills and have ability to handle pressure.
- Have the ability to work with minimum or no supervision.
- Have the ability to work as a team.
- Be a person of unquestionable integrity with high sense of professionalism.
- Be proactive, self-motivated and aggressive.
- Should be ready to work and be stationed in Mombasa.
How to Apply:
Suitably qualified candidates should send their applications to firstname.lastname@example.org clearly quoting “LITIGATION ADVOCATE” in the email subject line.
Applications must be received on or before 20th February 2019.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.