Job Title: Programme Manager – Olturoto Children’s Village (OCV)
Reports to: General Manager
Responsible for: All OCV staff (including social worker, house parents, counselor, and farm workers)
Duty Station: Olturoto, Isinya Sub-County, Kajiado County
Job Purpose: To ensure that OCV excels in the delivery of family oriented child protection services and community development through well-developed programmes and activities aimed at achieving the organization’s mission and goals to kickstart the lives of orphaned and vulnerable children.
To keep the kids at the centre of everything we do and ensure the best interest of the children at all times.
Duties & Responsibilities
Reporting to the General Manager, the Programme Manager’s duties shall be: –
Programme Development & Management
- Responsible for overseeing the annual development and execution of all programme deliverables at OCV including initiating and development of new programmes
- Manage all day to day OCV programme activities and areas (child protection, security, feeding, medical, education, sports/recreation, life-skills, counselling, social work activities) and ensuring excellent service at all times.
- Develop quality concept papers and proposals including indicators for continuous monitoring for results.
- Plan and coordinate reporting systems and tools including monitoring & evaluation
- Develop and implement the OCV calendar of activities including scheduling home and school visits, reintegration follow ups and placement visits.
- Main contact point for all guardians/parents, school principals & teachers and other stakeholders of OCV
- Ensure all programme activities comply with the policies and regulations of the primary donor organization.
- Establish standard operating procedures for each programme area i.e. child protection, family empowerment, advocacy and community projects
- Conduct appropriate analysis of relevant data, making recommendations to the General Manager as the need arises in order to strengthen activities in OCV.
- Establish a robust and results based monitoring and evaluation system. Responsible for tracking and reporting on all project inputs, processes, outputs, outcomes and impact to ensure that adequate progress is made towards set targets.
- Generate and submit monthly reports and progress updates on OCV activities to the General Manager and/or the Board of Trustees as may be required
- Develop, review and contribute to policy formulation activities for the organization and ensure annual policy reviews for programme activities
- Ensure beneficiary participation in all aspects of the project and that activities are designed and implemented incorporating beneficiary feedback
- Work closely with government officials, community leaders and project partners to ensure the best outcomes are achieved and cordial relationships maintained
- Ensure compliance will all statutory regulations (including CCI regulations and guidelines) whilst maintaining a professional and warm relationship with the county and sub-county children’s offices.
- Participate in networking and collaborate with other organizations and peer groups.
- Generate donor reports and coordinate/host donor or partner visits as required
- Provision of on-site direction, support, supervision and leadership to programme staff at OCV
- Mentor, coach and appraise the performance of OCV’s programme staff. Conduct bi-annual staff training as may be required especially in child protection
- Contribute to the social media strategy and regularly feed in stories and media articles for use by the organization
- Actively seek to network with relevant agencies, associations and organizations to ensure that opportunities for OCV to develop and provide excellent service are fully realised.
- Keep and maintain proper records for all programme activities
- All other duties as may be assigned
- Act as the designated Child Protection Officer (CPO) as provided by the child protection policy and rigorously implement the policy
- Create an environment that safeguards the children, as well as all staff and visitors and rigorously implement the OCV Child Protection Policy to ensure the best interests of the children are upheld as the designated Child Protection Officer (CPO)
- Remain up-to-date with latest best practice in orphaned and vulnerable children care and general social work practice and ensure regular training and updates of OCV staff in these areas.
- Ensure child participation in all aspects of the programme and collect feed-back from the children and care givers that feeds into all aspects of programme planning, implementation and evaluation.
- Establish a system of professional case management, conduct case management meetings whilst ensuring all staff are trained and implementing this system.
- Maintain clear case files, records and other relevant information for all children
- Ensure all children have an individualised care plans to address specific behavioural issues and should include individualised reintegration plans
- Lead all home, school, placement visits; undertake travel up-country to carry out family reunifications and follow-ups
- Update and document a referral network and establish referral points for children requiring care/referral outside of the scope of OCV
- Ensure documentation of best practice in social work, reintegration, foster care, adoption and other key activities.
Financial Planning, Budgeting and Expenses Management
- Act as the lead in programme planning and oversee the preparation and submission of annual activity-based budgets, monthly budgets as well as monthly and quarterly reports for all programmes in consultation with the General Manager
- Implement all programmes within budget cost centres and ensure adherence to all finance policies and procedures
- Manage day to day expenditure at OCV within the approved budget and feed into budget preparation of donor proposals.
- Ensure all stock and assets at OCV are properly managed and all records maintained • Contribute towards fundraising activities and targets
- Act as the face of OCV to the community whilst representing the organization in a clear, respectful and consultative manner
- Provide support for ongoing community activities as may be agreed upon and depending on availability of resources
- Positively engage the community members with a view of maintaining and growing a good relationship by developing and implementing projects benefiting both the organization and community
- Plan and execute on annual community month activities
All staff are expected to work in the following manner:-
1. Uphold the organization’s code of conduct at ALL times
2. Work within the framework of OCVs core values, promoting its ethos and mission statement.
3. Work towards achieving programme objectives.
4. Ensure familiarity with and adhere to all OCV policies and procedures.
5. Undertake and apply learning from appropriate training and development programmes.
6. Undertake the role in a manner appropriate to the cultural context and within the local legal framework.
Requirements Education / Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in Development Work or Psychology or related field
- Advanced degree in a relevant area will be an added advantage
- At least 7 & above years of MANAGEMENT EXPERIENCE within a CCI or NGO including experience of working directly with vulnerable children.
Requirements & Experience
- Essential – Passionate about working for and with children
- Current certificate of Good Conduct
- End to end experience in developing and managing effective programmes
- Experience dealing with donors, government and partner organisations
- Understanding of the Children’s Act and other related legislation in Kenya and Internationally
Skills / Abilities
- Able to work with children, families and communities from all backgrounds, empathetic and have a wide understanding of the issues surrounding vulnerable children
- Pro-active in developing new opportunities and in executing responsibilities
- Management and supervisory skills, strong personnel and relational skills
- Ability to manage, motivate, develop and inspire people to perform to their best ability
- Ability to prioritise work and meet deadlines
- Above average Computer literacy
- Strong written and verbal communication skills and fluency in Kiswahili and English
- Must be proficient at using email as a primary method of communication
- Excellent presentation skills
- Ability to network and form positive relationships with a wide of range of internal and external stakeholders.
- A team player and have a desire to learn and be stretched in new areas
Motivation / Outlook
- Resolute and committed to achieving high quality standards of care
- Well organised, self-directed, flexible and committed to achieving high standards
- Results-oriented with the ability to be creative and innovative
- Willing to work long hours including weekends
- Must be able to relocate and live within or around OCV
Interested candidates may send their application letters and CV’s to email@example.com or drop them at OCV in Olturoto by COB on the 21st January 2019.
Candidates must provide their current salary and expected salary in their application letter.
MANDATORY REQUIREMENT: Certificate of good conduct.
Olturoto Children’s Village is an equal opportunity employer. No canvassing is allowed.