Our client, a leading Manufacturer of Food Products, is looking to fill the position of Sales & Marketing Manager (Western Business Unit) based in Kisumu with an experience, self-driven and focused team player.
The Sales and Marketing Manager’s work is to improve the organization’s market position and achieve financial growth.
Job Ref: EHC/1162/19
Reporting to: Managing Director – Western Business Unit
Work Schedule: 6 days per week (Monday – Saturday)
Status: Kenyan Citizen or Resident
Domestic Travel: <=50%
Job Summary: The Sales and Marketing Manager reports directly to the Managing Director and has overall leadership and management responsibility for all Sales and Marketing activities within the Business Unit.
The Sales and Marketing Manager is a seasoned professional who selects, develops and motivates the sales team, carries out regular market research, understands the competitive environment, develops and retains customers, carries out product promotion, innovation and develops new markets and effectively develops various brands within the Company
Key Job Responsibilities
1. Organizing and Motivating the Sales Team
The Sales and Marketing Manager is responsible for organizing and motivating the sales team by setting aggressive yet achievable sales targets. Focus needs to be on developing skills within the sales team of the competitive advantage of various products and on various segments in the market. Teams can be divided by product line, market segment and/or geographical region.
The Sales & Marketing Manager also carries out regular internal sales training around all stages of the sales cycle, including sales prospecting and targeting, planning and scheduling, approach, meeting and presentation, addressing objections, closing and follow-up.
Motivation is achieved through setting attractive commission structures for the team and developing effective in-team competition.
The Sales & Marketing Manager regularly reviews sales team performance targets versus actual performance and implement corrective measures where required
2. Market Research and Competitor Knowledge
The Sales & Marketing Manager carries out regular market research to understand consumer needs and align these with product offering. They possess solid product knowledge and is able to answer all customer questions on products.
Product uptake and pricing trends across all product categories are carefully considered when arriving at decisions around pricing, product placement and promotional activities.
The Sales & Marketing Manager must possess excellent competitor knowledge and realize competitive advantage across all product lines. This will assist in knowing how to position the product and to develop an effective sales proposition when facing competitor threat.
The Sales & Marketing Manager must use market research to develop new products in line with consumer tastes and preferences and expand market share.
3. Customer Relationship and Retention
The Sales & Marketing Manager develops strong customer relationships across all market segments. These relationships are developed and nurtured over time and are then useful for further product upselling and product expansion.
Customer retention strategies are implemented in order to ensure that customers remain loyal and to expand their profitability to the Company in the medium and long term. Specific retention strategies include providing special access to product promotions and special offers.
4. Product Promotions, Innovation and New Market Development
The Sales & Marketing Manager develops product promotions in order to introduce new products into the market or to bolster sales for existing products. Promotions are developed creatively and can use a number of techniques including pricing specials, product bundling, road-shows, in-store promotions, etc.
The Sales & Marketing Manager is also responsible for innovating new products catered to evolving consumer tastes that will serve as market leaders. Innovation is achieved in conjunction with market research and consumer trials of new products.
Must always be prepared to adapt product to changing consumer tastes and demands. The Sales & Marketing Manager is constantly looking to develop new markets both domestically as well as new export markets outside of the country.
5. Brand Stewardship
The Sales & Marketing Manager is responsible for the preservation and development of numerous brands that fall under the Company umbrella. Efforts are made at all stages to preserve and develop strong brand values and to evolve the brands as and when required. Brand reviews are to be carried out regularly that are coupled with market research to ensure that brands remain strong and innovative.
The Sales & Marketing Manager embarks on new brand inception when new products are introduced into the market. In addition, new media channels (Internet and Social Media) are used to promote and develop brand consistency and loyalty.
Candidate Selection Criteria
- Candidate must have a demonstrable track record of managing the Sales and Marketing function with Companies with greater than USD 100 million annual turnover.
- Bachelor’s degree required, MBA or MA in Commerce is preferred with a minimum of 10 years in a Sales and Marketing leadership role
- The ideal age for the candidate will be 35-45 years.
- Preference will be given to individuals who have the above track record in one or more of the following Sectors:
- Milling and Baking Operations-Highly Preferred
- Fast Moving Consumer Goods
- Food and Beverage Manufacturing
- Preference will also be given to individuals who have the above track record in emerging or developing markets, multiple global locations, areas of high political uncertainty and risk, complex and areas with high-risk supply chain management (raw material procurement and finished product sales and distribution). Kenyan or East African Experience is essential.
- Established Sales and Marketing Knowledge –significant demonstrated experience in all areas of sales and marketing through broad, diverse background with increasing levels of responsibility and complexity throughout career. Strong expertise in sales team management, product promotion, branding, and competitor awareness.
- Effective Decision Making – Understands trade-offs, balance consideration of all factors, able to make decisions at the optimum combination of timing, impact and availability of information. Understand the value of information concept and recognizes the need for a structured approach. Able to weigh competing alternatives and points of view among key internal stakeholders in finding solutions to sales and marketing challenges. Confident and resolute in moving forward once decisions are taken and driving consistent support across the organization. Effective utilizes lookbacks and lessons learned to constructively impact future decisions.
- Strong Planning, Forecasting and Analytical Acumen – sound understanding of Sales and Marketing planning. Able to quickly grasp complex situation and identify opportunities, gaps and drive information and analytical support to effective decision making. Ensures that key performance indicators are appropriate for supporting the sales and marketing growth objectives. Strong knowledge of sales and marketing processes and systems, including use of sales management tools and ERP systems and able to integrate the output of such systems to generate overall Sales and Marketing reports. Possesses a transformative approach to leadership that inspires and empowers others.
How to Apply:
If you meet the requirements as stipulated above, please email your application letter accompanied with a detailed CV in PDF format clearly indicating your current position, current and expected remuneration to the following email address: email@example.com on or before close of business on Friday 25th January 2019.
Eagle HR Consultants DO NOT CHARGE any interview fee(s) to any applicant.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.