Sanergy is an award-winning social venture that builds healthy, prosperous communities by making hygienic sanitation accessible and affordable in Africa’s urban informal settlements. Our systems-based approach to solving the sanitation crisis involves five key steps: we build a dense network of low-cost, high-quality waterless sanitation facilities – called Fresh Life Toilets.
We franchise the toilets to community residents, who run them as commercial toilets; landlords, who offer them as a value-added service to their tenants; and schools, to ensure children always have access to a safe sanitation option.
We provide critical support services – such as access to finance, business analytics, training and aspirational marketing and branding. We collect the waste regularly and safely remove it from the community for treatment. We convert the waste into valuable end products, such as organic fertilizer and insect-based animal protein, which we sell to Kenyan farms.
We are an increasingly sophisticated, highly intricate organization with many moving parts. Sanergy seeks accomplished, driven individuals who will make substantive contributions to the organization.
We currently seek a Plant Manager who will work in our Production Team to lead our end-product business to profitability. This team is responsible for converting all the waste to valuable end-products, and has the major challenge of scaling up operations 10-fold in the next year.
Specifically, the Production Manager is responsible for:
- Production Management: To produce end-products – animal protein, organic fertilizer and briquettes – on time, in full and to the right quality.
- Production Improvement: To monitor, control and improve production costs so as to achieve sustainable operations.
- Quality, Health, Safety and Environment Management: To support the organization’s work to enhance process maturity regarding quality, health, safety, environment and equipment reliability so as to achieve world class operations.
In line with the responsibilities above, the Production Manager will:
- Manage the plant to execute on forecasts that are firmed against the plan set by the planning team, and lead projects to minimize variance between forecasts and actual. Collaborate with the planning team to institute an integrated planning and control process that will achieve 60X ramp up in operations and sales in the next 2 years.
- Own and be accountable for the production budget. Lead resource planning and deployment so as to maximize the utilization of resources. Oversee management of inventory and WIP on site.
- Collaborate with the process and maintenance teams to drive section level process optimization and control to achieve quality, cost, efficiency, productivity, equipment uptime, health, safety and workplace organization targets for all sub-processes.
- Collaborate with the talent team to set up and implement systems for people management, performance management, learning and development that improve staff and operator competence, as well as their engagement.
- As the site in charge, own the overall risk mitigation plan for the site in so far as security, health, safety and the environment is concerned. Collaborate with respective support departments to ensure that all these risks are managed appropriately.
- Participate and contribute to long-term strategic development of the animal protein, organic fertilizer and residue for fuel business lines.
Skills and qualifications you’ll need
- An Engineering, Applied Science, or Science degree; preferred in Process Engineering or Industrial Engineering, Masters preferred. Certifications in process improvement methodologies will be an added advantage.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in project management, process improvement, strategic planning and execution
- Demonstration of an exceptional approach to managing large and cross-functional teams
- Team management experience with an emphasis on developing team members through coaching and mentoring
- Demonstrated ability to navigate ambiguity and comfort with continually adapting plans
- Experience in a startup and a multicultural environment is highly desirable
- Strong interpersonal, communication & presentation skills (verbal, written) and the ability to build effective internal and external client relationships. Should have the ability to exercise tact, courtesy, and judgment in working with all levels of staff.
- Pleasant, energetic, confident, with a positive, can-do attitude, good work ethic, and professionalism.
Qualities you’ll need to fit in well with the Sanergy-Stars
- A collaborative spirit that compels you to work beyond your team
- A desire to understand and serve customers
- A willingness to embrace diversity, integrity, and empathy
- An innovative approach to assessing and testing new ideas
- An enthusiasm to achieve set targets and improve yourself professionally
To apply, please CLICK HERE to submit a cover letter clearly indicating your available start state (include notice period) and your interest in this role, and your resume/CV that includes a list of three referees by 15th January, 2019.
Kindly indicate your salary expectations.