Job Title: Coffee Program Manager, Kenya
Reporting Unit / Supervisor: Global Coffee Director
Travel: Approximately 40%
TechnoServe Background: TechnoServe works with enterprising people in the developing world to build competitive farms, businesses and industries. We are a nonprofit organization that develops business solutions to poverty by linking people to information, capital and markets. With more than four decades of proven results, we believe in the power of private enterprise to transform lives.
Program Description: TechnoServe’s vision for the Kenyan coffee industry is that the 750,000 smallholder coffee growers who depend on coffee production for their livelihoods are earning a living wage by producing coffee using climate-smart farming practices and accessing markets that pay premium prices.
Position Description: Provide overall management of TechnoServe’s coffee program in Kenya. The Program Manager will be responsible for timely and effective implementation of project activities and achievement of the project goals.
S/he will thus be responsible for project planning and oversight, quality implementation, and delivery of results and milestones as agreed with the donor and regional management team.
- Responsible for all deliverables of Kenya coffee projects, including specific outputs and outcomes laid out in the project proposals
- Lead the Coffee Farm College activities and ensure excellence in execution
- Maintain project work plan and ensure timely project implementation
- Ensure project activities are implemented with sound managerial, technical, human resource and overall programmatic practices
- Hold regular team meetings to track implementation progress and share relevant project and administrative data
- Provide coaching, direction, and leadership support to program team members to achieve results
- Manage and monitor project budget variances to ensure spending rates are on target and realign as required.
- Timely production and sharing of project performance metrics, including quarterly Program Status Reports (PSRs) and Corporate Measurement data
- Proactively identify successful strategies and tactics, or bottlenecks to effective execution of project objectives
- Ensure all payments/activities are in compliance with donor requests, restrictions and regulations as outlined in donor contracts / Rules and Regulations
- o Produce narrative reports for internal and external consumption
- Ensure project targets are achieved
- Ensure delivery of technical training packages is of high quality, appropriate to local context and effectively reaching participants
- Recruit, hire and retain staff to implement all aspects of the program
- Ensure mid-year and year-end performance evaluations are conducted with all staff.
- Recommend and implement salary increases for staff on an annual basis upon performance evaluations
- Interface with other countries, regional staff, and headquarters staff, as appropriate
- Ensure information is shared and flows transparently within the project, country, regional, practice and headquarters teams
- Share best practices and lessons learned from the project
- Work with program staff to identify technical assistance needs for program
- Potentially lead design of new projects as required, including technical design and preparation of proposals.
Project Technical Support
- Support the Coffee Farm College lesson plan development and revision for agronomy and processing
- Analyze and provide guidance on business operations of relevant supply chain partners to increase long-term partner stability and growth
- Support increasing access to inputs to program farmers through identification of sourcing partners and development of appropriate input package and package terms
- Provide technical support on coffee agronomy and processing to field team
- Develop and update necessary data collection tools for monitoring and evaluation
- Analyze and report on monitoring and evaluation activities
- Establish and maintain strong relationships with relevant stakeholders in the Kenya coffee industry, including relevant government departments, private sector companies, and business associations
- Represent the program and TechnoServe at internal and external functions
- Understand, respect and promote TechnoServe’s values, vision and strategy in implementation of assigned duties.
Required Skills & Experience
- Degree qualifications in agriculture or business related studies
- Minimum of 7-10 years’ field and technical experience with agribusiness development and/or economic or financial analysis related to the agricultural sector
- Strong project management and financial analysis skills
- Personnel management experience
- Ability to generate innovative solutions in work situations
- Excellent interpersonal skills and proven ability and experience working with teams
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Ability to develop well-written and cohesive analytical reports
- Track record of building strong client and stakeholder relationships
- Ability to identify and understand issues, opportunities and compare data from different sources to draw conclusions and to use effective approaches for developing appropriate solutions and take action that is consistent with available facts
- Willingness to travel internationally and to remote rural locations
- Fluency in English and Kiswahili
- Master’s degree in business, economics, agriculture or another relevant subject area would be an added advantage
- Experience working in the coffee sector
- Experience assessing business operations and developing growth strategies
- Experience successfully addressing access to agro-input constraints in rural contexts
- Field-based operations experience
Competency is a combination of knowledge, skills and abilities (KSAs) directly related to successful performance on the job.
Core Competencies include:
- Integrity and honesty: Is widely trusted; seen as a direct, truthful individual; presents truthful information in an appropriate and helpful manner; keeps confidences; admits mistakes; does not misrepresent himself or herself for personal gain.
- Team Work/ Relationships: Works co-operatively and flexibly with other members of the team with a full understanding of the role to be played as a team member and/or leader, to achieve a common goal. Ability to build and maintain effective relationships and networks.
- Learning attitude: Proactively takes advantage of opportunities to learn. Actively identifies new areas for learning; applies and shares new knowledge and skill appropriately.
- Diversity/Inclusiveness: Demonstrates an understanding and appreciation for diversity and supports diversity efforts. Interacts effectively with and inclusively with people of all races, cultures, ethnicities, backgrounds, religions, ages, and genders.
- Communication: Expresses ideas effectively in individual and group situations. Listens effectively; shares information, ideas and arguments; adjusts terminology, language and communication modes to the needs of the audience; ensures accurate understanding; acts in a way that facilitates open exchange of ideas and information; uses appropriate non-verbal communication.
- Decision making/Problem Solving: Is able to analyse situations, diagnose problems, identify the key issues, establish and evaluate alternative courses of action and produce a logical, practical and acceptable solution. Is able to make effective decisions on a day-to-day basis, taking ownership of decisions, demonstrating sound judgement in escalating issues where necessary.
- Results Oriented/ High Quality Deliverables: Stays focused on the efforts necessary to achieve quality results consistent with programmatic or departmental goals. Demonstrates the ability to achieve effective results; works persistently to overcome obstacles to goal achievement. Accomplishes tasks by considering all areas involved, no matter how small; showing concern for all aspects of the job; accurately checking processes and tasks.
- Planning & Time Management: Establishes a course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a specific goal. Effectively plans, schedules, prioritizes and controls activities; identifies, integrates and orchestrates resources (people, material, information, budget, and/or time) to accomplish goals. Prioritizes work according to the program or department’s goals, not just own job responsibilities; manages own time effectively.
- Business Acumen: The ability to use information, ask the right questions and take decisions that make an impact on the overall business performance.
Job Specific / Technical Competencies Include:
- Financial & Resource Management: The ability to estimate, justify, and manage appropriate funding levels to support goal accomplishment. Managing Resources is about understanding human, financial, and operational resource issues to make decisions aimed at building and planning efficient project workflows, and at improving overall organizational performance.
- Computer Literacy: Demonstrates knowledge and ability to use specific computer programs or applications for own functional area. Has the ability to improve performance by integrating new and existing technology into the workplace.
- Internal Client Focus: Client Focus is based on the ability to understand the client’s needs and concerns in the short to long-term and to provide sound recommendations and/or solutions.
- Compliance & Governance: Compliance with and knowledge of company policies, applicable legislation, grant requirements, donor contracts, the local labor code and tax laws.
- Emotional Intelligence: The act of knowing, understanding, and responding to emotions, overcoming stress in the moment, and being aware of how your words and actions affect others. Emotional intelligence consists of 4 attributes: self-awareness, self-management, social awareness, and relationship management.
- Strategic Thinking: Managers should recognize key actions, underlying problems, make connection and patterns, see consequences and implications. Anticipates obstacles realistically and plans ways to deal with them.
- Staff Development: Managers are required to work with employees to plan on the development of skills and abilities so that they can fulfil current or future job/role responsibilities more effectively.
- Trust to Delegate: Managers should have trust and willingness to assign responsibilities to direct reports and give them discretion and authority to carry them out.
- Feedback/Coaching (mentoring): Managers should give instructions, suggestions, explanations, and feedback to subordinates. (SPI+R)
Please submit your application (by email only) to email@example.com with the position title placed in the subject line.
Please include (1) cover letter describing your interest, (2) curriculum vitae.
Please include all requirements in a single document (pdf).
Applications will be treated confidentially.
Deadline for applications is 1st February 2019.
Note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
TechnoServe encourages diversity in all levels and across all facets of our organization.
We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate on the basis of gender, race, color, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, ages, HIV/AIDS status, protected veteran status, disability and all other protected classes