Communications Specialist (TUSOME Project)
RTI is an independent organization dedicated to conducting innovative, multidisciplinary research that improves the human condition. With a worldwide staff of more than 4,000 people, RTI offers innovative research and development and a full spectrum of multidisciplinary services. Universities in North Carolina founded RTI in 1958 as a centerpiece of the Research Triangle Park.
RTI anticipates staffing the following expertise in positions for the donor funded Tusome Early Grade Reading Activity. Tusome is focused on curriculum support, teacher training and materials development to improve the quality of early grade instruction in formal and non-formal schools through a reading intervention.
The Communications Specialist will work closely with Tusome’s Deputy Chief of Party for Operations and is responsible for providing overall communications leadership and execution developing and implementing communications strategies that address project and client priorities.
The Communications Specialist will lead Tusome’s efforts to communicate the nature and extent of the program’s impact to various audiences, including but not limited to stakeholders in the education sector in Kenya (such as MOE, TSC, KICD, various semi-autonomous government agencies), USAID, and the American people.
The goals of these communication efforts will be to raise broad awareness of the program’s results, deepen understanding of the program’s key features and innovations, and support widespread adoption both within and beyond Kenya of the key drivers of its success.
Meeting these goals will require identification of and consultation with key program audiences regarding their priorities and interests, developing a high-quality communication strategy that is responsive to those audiences’ priorities and interests, and working closely with program staff to execute the strategy.
S/he will oversee and have full responsibility for the production and delivery of concrete products including but not limited to videos, fact sheets / flyers, social media messages, strategic planning documents, posters, and summaries of research. S/he will also lead and oversee event planning and execution, including visits by high-level representatives of the Kenyan government, U.S. government, and members of the donor community.
Qualifications & Experience:
- Minimum of Bachelor’s Degree in Social Sciences, Journalism, or Communications / Public Relations with least (6) six years of experience in Communications.
- At least 3 years of increasingly responsible experience in communications.
- The ideal candidate will be able to present a robust and diverse portfolio of products generated in prior roles, with examples spanning video, audio, written materials, and photography.
- S/he will be able to demonstrate a strong, proven track record of eliciting, obtaining, and refining contributions from peers and staff who are not direct reports.
- S/he will be able to demonstrate a track record of flexibility, adaptability, and successful delivery under challenging and high-pressure conditions.
- S/he will be able to demonstrate experience executing communications campaigns in Kenya, ideally in the context of a donor-funded project pertaining to technical and organization capacity development.
Skills & Abilities:
- The ideal candidate will have excellent English-language writing skills, competency in the use of appropriate software tools for development and production of publications, videos, and other relevant communications products, and an excellent eye for detail.
- S/he will also be committed to owning the entirety of the product development cycle, with a strong orientation toward the process required to guide a product from concept to on-time delivery.
How to Apply
To apply, please email cover letter and CV to email@example.com by 17th January, 2019 at 12.00pm. Applicants must include the POSITION in the subject line of the email, a link to an online portfolio (documents in a Dropbox or Google Drive folder would be acceptable), and 3 writing samples of no more than 4 pages each.
Please do not attach copies of certificates.
We regret that only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
We are proud to be an EEO/AA employer M/F/D/V