Geothermal Development Company (GDC) is a 100% state owned company with a mandate to among others, fast track the development of Geothermal Resources.
The Company’s vision is to be world leader in the development of Geothermal Resources and a mission to develop green energy for Kenya from Geothermal Resources.
Manager, Legal Services
Job Grade GD3
Job No. 10
Overall Purpose:- Reporting to the General Manager, Legal Services and Company Secretary: The jobholder will be responsible for providing internal legal advice on matters affecting the company or its employees providing guidance on statutory compliance; ensuring that agreements are properly negotiated and documented and where applicable registered; and; providing and managing litigation services in the Company; and ensuring safe custody of key legal documents within the Company.
- Providing legal advice on matters affecting to the company and staff
- Carrying out legal audits for compliance .
- Preparing Legal opinions and legal interpretations on various matters as required including interpretation of court and arbitral rulings affecting the Company;
- Drafting vetting and execution of contracts and other legal instruments
- Providing Legal Services relating to any review of legislation or regulations that impact on the company’s operations
- Providing technical leadership and strategic direction in the development, implementation and evaluation of professional legal services including overseeing, scheduling and coordinating the provision of corporate services as necessary;
- Formulating, monitoring and evaluating the implementation of work-plans related to the litigation, compliance, contracts and convincing matters;
- Spearheading the formulation of a sound contract management process;
- Overseeing the smooth implementation of all conveyancing matters to ensure perfection of documentation and securities;
- Monitoring developments in relevant law, conduct legal research and participate in outreach programs to strengthen corporate governance and improve the quality of service delivery;
- Reviewing incidents of violations against organizational policy and regulations; handle disputes and take appropriate action in line with approved policies, procedures and regulations.
- Preparing concept papers, board papers, periodic progress reports and annual reports as necessary.
- Participating in Collective Bargaining Agreement negotiations between Management and the Union;
- Have not less than eleven (11) years relevant work experience two (2) years should be in a Managerial role;
- Be a holder of Bachelor of Laws degree from a recognized institution;
- Be a holder of a Postgraduate Diploma in Legal Studies from the Council of Legal Education;
- Be a holder of a Master’s degree in a relevant field from a recognized institution;
- Be an Advocate of the High Court of Kenya;
- Be a Member in good standing of a relevant professional body – LSK & ICPS (K);
- Undertaken leadership/ Management course from recognized institution
- Proficiency in computer applications; and
- Interpersonal skills;
- Good planning, organizing and coordinating skills
- Strong interpersonal, analytical verbal and written skills;
- Leadership skills;
- Strong communications and presentation skills
- Negotiation skills;
Terms of Service: The appointment will be for a contractual period of five (5) years renewable subject to satisfactory performance and delivery of set performance targets and outcomes. GDC offers competitive salary and benefits commensurate with the standards of excellence that it expects.
NB: Candidates interested in the above position are expected to fulfill the requirements of Chapter 6 of the Constitution of Kenya. Specifically, they must obtain and submit with their application copies of the following (Mandatory):-
- Tax compliance certificate from Kenya Revenue Authority (KRA);
- Clearance certificate from Higher Education Loans Board(HELB);
- Clearance from the Ethics and Anti-Corruption Commission (EACC);
- Certificate of Good Conduct from the Directorate of Criminal Investigation;
- Clearance from Credit reference bureau.
Evidence of ongoing clearance is admissible subject to the satisfactory results ( Presentation of the requisite documents from the relevant institution before the selection process )
Suitably qualified candidates should apply in confidence indicating the Job reference No. on both the application and envelope and send to the address below enclosing CVs with full details of education background, professional qualifications and attach copies of certificates, relevant testimonials and National Identity Card.
Applications may be deposited at our head Office, KAWI HOUSE, 4th Floor, Popo Road, South C, along Red Cross Road, in the Application Box, posted or emailed to:
The Managing Director & CEO,
Geothermal Development Company Limited,
P.O. Box 100746 – 00101,
All applications should be received not later than twenty one (21) days from the date of this advert.
“GDC is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and gender equality.”
“Please note that only shortlisted candidates shall be contacted”.
Any form of canvassing shall lead to automatic disqualification.