Save the Children | East and Southern Africa Office
JOB TITLE: Regional Finance Specialist
TEAM / PROGRAMME: East Africa Regional Team (Regional Finance)
LOCATION: East Africa Regional Office – Nairobi
POST TYPE: National
CHILD SAFEGUARDING: Level 3 – the responsibilities of the post may require the post holder to have regular contact with or access to children or young people
ROLE PURPOSE: As Regional Finance Specialist, you will work with the regional finance team on key issues and opportunities to find and implement financial management solutions at the country office level to continually improve SCI’s operational platform and ensure compliance with SCI’s quality framework essential standards.
You will have a key role in the stewardship of agency assets and reputation by ensuring compliance with local laws, regulations, member/donor requirements whilst demonstrating exemplary financial management leadership and support to the country finance teams.
SCOPE OF ROLE:
Reports to: Head of Financial Control and Compliance
Dimensions: You must be articulate and comfortable with a role covering a variety of country offices, whilst working closely with high-intellect stakeholders. To thrive in this role, you must be highly driven and a self-starter.
Training and monitoring support will take place in a number of complex countries that Save the Children operate within and you should be willing to travel to such locations.
Staff directly reporting to this post: TBC
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY:
- Perform monthly and quarterly financial reviews and analysis, reconciliation of balance sheet/control accounts as well as the relevant finance KPIs (benchmark)
- Prepare insightful management information including commentary on the monthly and quarterly financial controls and compliance
- Provide technical support and trouble-shooting to country offices finance staff
- Coordinate and consolidate monthly cash forecasts of ESA’s countries, treasury analysis and where necessary liaise with central treasury to address any identified issues
- Actively participate in various tools and techniques roll out process and assist the RO finance team in rolling out the same in the region
- Ensure all internal financial tools are correctly used to strengthen data quality and efficiencies and where necessary develop additional tools and solutions
- Ensure finance diary that covers all the required activities on financial control and compliance reviews are strictly adhered to
- Be a champion of accounts software i.e. Agresso, ProSave, Total Inventory Management (TIM) and promote good practices and new techniques and tools
- Support countries to meet and sustain all essential standards for financial management and ensure that countries comply with SCI’s financial policies and procedures
- Support in year-end audit coordination and responding to audit issues
- Work closely with the rest of the regional finance team to deliver on the team objectives including any other duties not prescribed above
- Establish strong links with SCI’s Centre finance colleagues and networking with counterparts in other regional finance teams
- Country support visits, potentially in emergency responses
SKILLS AND BEHAVIOURS (our Values in Practice)
- Holds self accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save the Children values
- Holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities – giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved
- Sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves and their team, takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages their team to do the same
- Widely shares their personal vision for Save the Children, engages and motivates others
- Future orientated, thinks strategically and on a global scale
- Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to; builds and maintains effective relationships with colleagues, Members and external partners and supporters
- Values diversity and different people’s perspectives, able to work cross-culturally
- Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions
- Cuts away bureaucracy and encourages an entrepreneurial approach
- Honest, encourages openness and transparency, builds trust and confidence
- Displays consistent excellent judgement
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- Accounting or commercial degree and relevant full professional qualifications (CPA/CA/ACCA)
- Minimum of 5 years’ progressive work experience in financial management, audit or compliance role in the commercial, financial services or audit sector. Not-for-profit experience an advantage.
- Experience of solving complex issues through analysis, definition of a clear way forward and ensuring buy-in.
- Strong results orientation, with the ability to challenge existing mind-sets. Experienced in preparing both financial and management accounts, including overseas offices
- Strong relationship builder with a proven track record in forming good business partnerships
- Excellent communication skills, initiative, the ability to meet tight deadlines and work independently is essential
- Demonstrate strong strategic financial management skills
- Strong analytical, problem solving and financial modelling skills and the ability to present complex financial information in a succinct and compelling manner.
- Experience in preparing both financial and management accounts, including overseas offices
- Highly developed cultural awareness and ability to work well in an international environment with people from diverse backgrounds and cultures.
- An unquestionably high level of integrity and ethics.
- Computer fluency; highly competent using MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint and experience working in complex financial systems
- Excellent communication skills, initiative, the ability to meet tight deadlines and work independently including reporting remote users.
- The personal circumstances to travel frequently to all country programmes in the region.
How to Apply
Interested applicants can CLICK HERE to view the profile and apply for this position through the URL.
The advert will close on 13th March 2019.