Shining Hope for Communities (SHOFCO) is a Kenyan registered Charity Organization with its Headquarters in Gatwekera-Kibera and other offices in New York, Mathare Slum, Mukuru Slum and Bangladesh with a plan to move to other slums in Kenya with a VISION of “Building Urban Promise from Urban Poverty”.
It is a grassroots movement that catalyzes large-scale transformation in urban slums by providing critical services for all, community advocacy platforms, and education and leadership development for women and girls.
The following are the open positions that we seek to fill;
Job Title: Head Teacher
Program: Girls Leadership & Education
Sub-Program: Primary Education
Location / Work station: Mathare
Working Hours: Monday – Friday | 7.30 AM – 4.30PM and two Saturdays a month
Reports to: Education Director
Direct reports: Deputy Head Teacher, Teachers including TOT/Panel Heads
Job Purpose: To be responsible for maintaining a high quality of education in line with SHOFCO’s vision, mission and guiding principles; and the overall coordination of the school curriculum, activities and operations to ensure that the school runs efficiently and effectively on a day to day basis.
Key Responsibilities and Job Dimensions
- Ensure that the programs of the school are consistent with the vision, mission, and guiding principles of SHOFCO schools.
- Coach, mentor, and evaluate the performance of the whole faculty.
- Oversee proper implementation of SHOFCO Curriculum using recommended teaching methodologies.
- Ability to offer teacher training on curriculum design, implementation and evaluation.
- Develop a long-range in-service plan for the faculty in collaboration with the Education Management team.
- Collect, analyse, share and interpret internal and external school assessment data and ensure the data is used strategically to improve student academic performance.
- Oversee planning, execution and analysis of intervention programs targeted at needs of diverse academic subgroups.
- Develop and administer the general school routine, and coordinate all activities within the school.
- Manage the school budget, supply acquisition, HR efforts and administrative duties; and ensure efficient usage of school resources.
- Identify intellectual, physical, social and emotional needs affecting student’s success in school in collaboration with teachers, students, parents and social worker.
- Maintain effective communication to keep staff, students and parents properly informed.
- Encourage and initiate continuous improvement in curriculum and teaching methods.
- Maintain an educational philosophy and school climate which encourages a cooperative and participatory attitude on the part of all teachers and students.
- In charge of boarding section of the school.
- Manage and develop external partnerships and represent the school in interactions with government officials.
Job Competencies (Knowledge, Experience and Attributes / Skills)
- Bachelor Degree in Education or any related field
- P1, Bachelor’s degree in Primary Education
Other requirements (unique / job specific)
- Must be registered with Teachers Service Commission
- 5 Years’ Experience and training in student centred approach to education that encourages exploration, inquiry, problem-solving and real world thinking skills
- 4 Years’ Experience in school administration
- Proven communication and influencing skills
- Organization management
- Proven ability to coach, motivate and build strong relationships
- Computer literacy
- Analytical skills
- Leadership skills
Behavioural Competencies / Attributes:
- Strategic thinking
- Adaptability and decisiveness
- Honesty and integrity
- Initiative and enthusiasm
- Openness and sound judgement
- Firm and objective
How to Apply:
Interested applicants should send their applications together with a cover letter and CV to email@example.com or drop their hard copies at our Head Office in Kibera, Gatwekera on or before 14th February 2019.
Please state your current and Expected Gross salary in the Cover Letter. Applications without this information will not be considered.
DO NOT ATTACH TESTIMONIALS at this point.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
SHOFCO is an equal opportunity employer and employment is subject to Child Protection standards including appropriate background checks and adherence to our Child Protection Policy.
We regret that only short listed candidates will be contacted.
Disclaimer: SHOFCO does not require applicants to pay any fee at whatever stage of the recruitment and selection process. We therefore advise the general public to exercise due diligence when applying for employment.