Job Title: Project Officer – WASH
Location: Mutomo, Kitui
We believe in a world in which every human life is valued, and health and human dignity are shared by all.
We believe that access to quality healthcare is a basic human right. For more than 100 years, we have worked with global partners to deliver locally sustainable, quality healthcare solutions to women, children and their communities. We’re ready to make it 100 more.
We believe change starts with her.
We work tirelessly for women’s and children’s health because they are disproportionately affected by illness and poverty. We know that healthy, educated, and empowered women are better able to raise healthy, educated, and confident children, and that communities depend on their livelihoods. We’re making an impact – learn more.
Building around a new CHAMPS (CHildren And Mother PartnershipS) model, CMMB will work at both the community and clinical levels in these targeted communities to strengthen health services and address the leading causes of maternal and child death.
In addition, CMMB will expand its volunteer program to strengthen health care delivery in CHAMPS-supported facilities, and will engage with the pharmaceutical industry to help meet the needs of CHAMPS communities and facilities.
CMMB is committed to learning and evolving in order to successfully achieve impact in its strategy and will have strong vertical and horizontal team structures in alignment to the global strategy in order to encourage accountability, communication, and effective project management.
We believe in people.
We strive to live out our core values of collaboration, love, excellence and respect every day. We provide our employees with a competitive salary and a meaningful benefits package, with opportunities to learn and grow.
We especially encourage all persons of diverse backgrounds to apply. Read more from our President & CEO below.
The Programs Department plays a critical role in achieving CMMB’s strategy around improving the lives of women and children, by leading the provision of high quality programs focused on children’s and mothers’ health, and particularly in the development and implementation of our CHAMPS model.
This team is also responsible for generating revenue from and partnering effectively with government(s), major foundations, and other major donors, and will help to position and enhance CMMB’s technical capacity and reputation in the field of global healthcare.
CMMB has been working in Kenya for almost 15 years. CMMB works to ensure that the most vulnerable populations, especially mothers and children, have access to quality services in health care, health promotion and illness prevention.
Under the direct supervision of the CHAMPS Project Coordinator, The WASH Project Officer will generally oversee the implementation of Public Health and Social Aspects of WASH project in Athi ward in Kitui South sub-county.
- Identification of training needs and organization of the appropriate trainings for intended beneficiaries including CHVs, community leaders, school health club patrons, health care workers among others.
- Identification of key hygiene practices to be addressed in schools, health facilities and in homes and to engage the community in defining appropriate communication strategies for safe WASH practices
- Mobilization of the affected communities for participation in design, construction, operation, and maintenance of WASH facilities and services.
- Undertaking water quality (microbial, physical and chemical) analysis and purification of water using potable water quality kit, as per water quality technical guidelines approved by the government/WHO.
- Creation of channels for dialogue (water user committees, Parents and Teachers Associations, school’s administration and county water departments to ensure appropriate technical and social interventions in order to secure outcome, impact and sustainability.
Planning and Coordination
- Implementation and monitoring of WASH project activities appropriate to members of the community including children and women.
- Facilitation of the Community Led Total Sanitation (CLTS) approach through which WASH activities can be implemented.
- Contributing towards development of the WASH program implementation approaches, strategies and the overall (CMMB Children and Mothers Partnerships (CHAMPS) strategy in Kitui.
- Ensuring technical and programmatic quality of the WASH project
- Assisting in preparation of WASH implementation plans or proposals for possible funding.
- Ensuring that program inputs are procured, handled and distributed responsibly.
- Sensitize the community both formally and informally on their role in sustainable water supply and hygiene practices.
- Assisting in the development and/or introduction of new policies, approaches, methods and practices in WASH.
Representation and Networking
- Regularly liaise with the relevant Stakeholders including NGOs involved in water and sanitation interventions for effective implementation of project activities in the operational area
- Compilation of monthly activity reports for inclusion in the qualitative and quantitative reports submitted to Country Office and contributing to the other reports as required.
- You have a Bachelor’s degree in Environmental/Public Health, Water management or related field.
- You have a minimum of 4 years’ experience in WASH program in the rural settings.
- You have excellent coordination and networking skills including liaison with WASH stakeholders.
- You have knowledge and experience working on the National Community Health Strategy.
- You have good analytical and writing skills.
- Resource Mobilization and proposal writing experience will be added advantage.
- Experience working in hardship areas in a plus
- You have experience with report-writing
- You have experience working with an NGO
- You have experience working with Microsoft Word, Excel and have data analysis software skills
- You are comfortable working for a faith-based organization.
- You believe in CMMB, where we’re going, and what we can do together to achieve Healthier Lives Worldwide.
How to Apply
Interested applicants should submit their application together with resume/CV to firstname.lastname@example.org indicating position applied for on the subject line by 1st April 2019.
Include telephone and email contacts of 3 references and your daytime telephone/cell phone contact.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
To learn more about us, visit our website at www.cmmb.org.
A message from Bruce Wilkinson, our President and CEO
As president of CMMB, I would like to thank you for your interest in joining with us on our journey to bring healthier lives to women, children and their families worldwide. CMMB has embarked on our second century of service to the most marginalized. Our vision of a world in which every human life is valued, and health and human dignity are shared by all is at the core of who we are. We are always looking to join hands with experienced professionals who want to add their energy to our work and are so pleased you are considering CMMB as your potential employer.
The Project Officer- WASH is critical to our mission and vision. I welcome your interest in joining CMMB’s diverse, talented, professional and motivated team and lead our Kenya team achieve our mission.