1. Role Details
Job Title: Director, Research
Location: Nairobi, Kenya
Employment Type: Full time
Department: Research Department
Responsible for: Research Team
Reports to: Chief Executive Officer
Our client, a large leading financial institution in Kenya wishes to recruit a highly experienced, competent, motivated and self-driven individual with excellent credentials and strategic mind to competitively fill the above position.
Our client is looking to identify an experienced leader who will play a pivotal role at the Institution’s Research function. He/She is expected to be an exceptional leader with superior knowledge of the financial services sector in Kenya, have a demonstrable level of success and possess excellent interpersonal skills.
2. Job Purpose
The role holder will provide leadership to the Research team in developing monetary policy frameworks and strategies, facilitate domestic and global macroeconomic analysis and research to inform monetary policy formulation and implementation. S/he shall provide economic advice to the Institution Management and Government.
The Director Research will work closely with the Monetary Policy Committee (MPC).
3. Key Responsibilities
- Ensure formulation of prudent monetary policy, frameworks and strategies that set feasible and appropriate targets to achieve and maintain price stability including exchange rates, interest rates and inflation and support monetary policy implementation. This includes designing the monetary programs.
- Frame and implement appropriate economic research agenda for the institution at national, regional and global levels. In this regard provide leadership to undertake and disseminate research and related analysis on micro and macro-economics;
- Provide leadership for the promotion of robust economic analysis (both fiscal and external), including development of the statistical capacities and systems for the provision of timely and reliable data for policy dialogue and formulation;
- Provide effective and efficient technical and secretariat support to the Monetary Policy Committee and Monetary Policy Management Committee;
- Ensure effective coordination, strengthening of the existing analytical tools and development of appropriate economic policy analysis frameworks, instruments/ tools and models;
- Ensure timely preparation, publication, submission and dissemination of economic and financial reports to the relevant bodies such as Parliament, the National Treasury and the general public stakeholders;
- Provide leadership for timely periodic reporting of financial, and economic analysis with emphasis on monetary policy formulation and implementation;
- Ensure effective collaboration with relevant departments on the effectiveness of monetary policy implementation and market dynamics that informs policy change;
- Prepare and process major statements, speeches and briefs for the Chief Executive Officer for the high level meetings, conferences and missions;
- Liaise with IMF, World Bank and other development partners as required on matters of monetary policy;
- As assigned, represent the institution in international and regional fora and provide the leadership required to safeguard and strengthen stakeholder’s confidence in the institution’s operations;
- Development and maintenance of economic and financial data base;
- Participate in the development of policies and innovative approaches to position the organization as a learning/knowledge sharing organization;
- Liaise with Communications division on appropriate communication, branding and dissemination strategies for publications;
- Keep abreast and support in leading regional monetary union integration discussions and feasibility assessments;
- Champion and monitor the departmental risk management framework and policies in liaison with the Risk Management Division;
- Develop, train, coach, motivate and evaluate staff in the department to achieve highest levels of performance.
4. Minimum Requirements
1. Must have Master’s Degree in Economics or related fields,
2. Bachelor’s degree in Economics, Finance, Banking, Statistics or other related field;
3. PhD in Economics or other related field is an added advantage.
4. Clear understanding of economics, banking and relevant emerging issues in:
– Monetary and financial statistics and trends
– Inflation and currency rates
– Financial markets
– Economic policy
– Reporting of financial data
– Financial and economics research
1. Not less than ten (10) years’ experience in economics, financial analysis, banking or closely related field, five (5) of which must be in a senior leadership role in busy research based organization with a bias in economic research and analysis,
2. International working experience in Economic Policy Development and Analysis institutions or multi-layered think-tanks;
3. A strong record of research in the area of economics and statistical systems development with well-defined policy implications;
4. High level networking at national, regional and global levels;
5. Experience in managing a professional team of senior researchers and statisticians;
6. Demonstrated understanding of the challenges facing African Economies.
1. Monetary policy formulation and implementation;
2. Macro-economic analysis;
3. Micro-economics analysis;
4. Fiscal and external analysis;
5. Economic data analysis;
6. Advanced research;
7. Quantitative analysis;
8. Statistical analysis;
10. Foreign exchange reserves risk management;
11. Market place risks;
12. Trade finance and trade policy issues;
13. Financial markets instruments;
14. Regional economic integration;
15. Stakeholder Management;
16. Report writing -ability to develop economic reports.
17. Communications and Presentation skills
Behavioral / General Competencies
i) Leadership and people management including performance management, coaching & mentoring;
ii) High level interpersonal and cross-cultural skills, including ability to build consensus, alliances and collaborative relationships with sensitivity to diversity;
iii) Must be a visionary, with in-depth knowledge of the state of economic, financial and social development in Kenya, within the wider global economy, and the linkages within different economic sectors as well as across regions;
iv) Critical & analytical thinking and problem solving skills- ability to understand issues from multiple perspectives/layers and take account of the wider business context when crafting solutions;
v) Commitment to consistent delivery of the highest quality outputs, with deep technical understanding and attention to detail;
vi) Organisational and administrative skills;
vii) Strong outreach competencies with ability to confidently speak at international fora on economic issues.
viii) Excellent public relations skills with all potential users of the institution’s knowledge work and statistics – analysts, academics, professional bodies and other international organizations, and government agencies;
ix) Familiarity with the work of other multilateral and bilateral development institutions and the private sector, especially their roles in supporting economic reform agenda;
x) Ability to think strategically and design long-term plans and programs to develop staff competences in line with strategic priorities;
xi) Ability to consider emerging trends, developments and long-term opportunities and align organisational requirements with desired outcomes;
xii) Oral and written communication skills- ability to communicate clearly, simply and in a structured manner; and to use communication tools appropriately and effectively;
xiii) Ability to listen and communicate effectively with oversight bodies, senior management and government officials;
xiv) Risk management- ability to identify departmental risks and develop mitigating measures.
5. Compensation Package
Base Salary: Competitive & Attractive
Benefits: As per the institution’s policy
1. Should be a member of relevant professional bodies with good standing.
2. Must be compliant with the requirements of Chapter Six of the Constitution on Leadership and Integrity.
In addition, all successful candidates will be required to obtain clearance from the following Institutions:
- Higher Education Loans Board
- Kenya Revenue Authority
- Ethics and Anti Corruption Commission
- Credit Reference Bureau
- The Directorate of Criminal Investigations
How to Apply
If you are the candidate that we are looking for please send your application through email@example.com with the position applied for (Director, Research) as the email subject no later than 15th April 2019.
We will require your complete professional profile with your current remuneration and contact details therein.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
These positions are open only to Kenyan Citizens.