Norwegian Refugee Council
Human Resources Assistant – Nairobi
(Kenyan Nationals Only)
Duty Station: Nairobi
Ref. nr.: 4051583781
Number of positions: 1
The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced people. NRC advocates for the rights of displaced populations and offers assistance within the shelter, education, emergency food security, legal assistance, and water,sanitation and hygiene sectors.
The Norwegian Refugee Council has approximately 5000 committed and competent employees involved in projects across four continents. In addition, NRC runs one of the world’s largest standby rosters -NORCAP, with 650 professionals, ready to be deployed on 72 hours notice when a crisis occurs.
The NRC East Africa & Yemen mission is an expanding programme. NRC started its operations in Kenya in the refugee camps in Dadaab in February 2007. NRC has WASH, Shelter, Education, Food Security and Livelihood and Information Counselling and Legal Assistant programmes implemented in the refugee camps in Dadaab and Kakuma.
The HR Assistant is responsible for assisting with HR matters at the Nairobi office with support to the HR teams in the field offices.
- Comply with NRC’s HR policies and procedures
- Assist in the implementation of the organization policies and procedures
- Provide support in recruitment processes, including advertisements, filling applications, inviting candidates, organizing interview venues etc.
- Update staff records and files, including contracts, leave, medical, appraisals, etc.
- Generate monthly records and reports such as staff lists, leave and other HR statistics
- Process and follow up claims for medical cover and insurance
- Prepare staff contributions to relevant statutory bodies (social security, pensions etc.)
- Assist in preparing the national staff payroll
- Assist in training and capacity building arrangements
- Provide administrative support for staff welfare programs/activities
- Ensure clearance of staff including final dues payments
- Otherwise support the HR Coordinator in ensuring the smooth recruitment, appointment, motivation and retention of a high performing NRC Kenya program staff.
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Resource Management or Higher Diploma in Human Resource management
- Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities
- Experience from working with HR in a humanitarian/recovery context
- Previous experience from working in complex and volatile contexts
- IHRM membership
- Understanding of labour laws
- Knowledge about own skills/profile
- Good knowledge of English
Education level: College / University, Bachelor’s degree
- Interpersonal skills
- Good communication skills
- Accurate and keen to detail
Contract period is up to December 2019 with possibility of extension.
Salary/benefits: According to NRC’s general directions, The candidate will observe NRC’s code of conduct and working hours for the NRC Office in Nairobi.
*Females are highly encouraged to apply for this position*
Travel: Some travelling must be expected
How to Apply
Visit www.nrc.no to apply online
- Location: Kenya
- Industry: Emergency Relief
- Special field: HR
- Role: Assistant
Deadline for application: 08/04/2019