Royal Danish Embassy (DANIDA)
Recruitment of Programme Implementation Unit (PIU) for WSTF DANIDA Green Growth and Employment Programme (GGEP) / Water and Livelihood Programme (WLP)
The Governments of Denmark and Kenya in 2015, signed a Development Engagement agreement for the Kenya Country Programme. This is a five-year programme that is being implemented by various actors including National Government line ministries and Agencies, and a few Non state Actors.
Each of the Implementing Organizations has signed Development Engagement Documents and Bilateral Agreements with the Embassy. Among such organizations is Water Sector Trust Fund (WSTF), which is a public institution, established under the Act of Parliament Water Act 2002 and currently operating under the revised Water Act 2016. The Mandate of WSTF is to ensure there is assured water resources availability, and accessibility of water and sanitation to the underserved areas of the country.
Under the DANIDA Green Growth and Employment Programme (GGEP) Development Engagement Document, WSTF at the end of 2017 received additional financing to facilitate improved access to water and sanitation for Refugees, host communities and other Vulnerable communities of Turkana West Sub county in Turkana County.
To achieve the objectives of the GGEP and its mandate, the Danish Embassy has agreed to support WSTF with a team of experts who will support them in implementation of the Green Growth and Employment Programme. The team of experts will comprise of Programme Coordinator, Programme Engineer, Social Scientist and a Procurement expert as per the below job descriptions
The recruited implementation team led by Programme coordinator will work under the Rural Investments Programme at WSTF and in close collaboration with other Danida Technical and Financial advisers, and reporting to WSTF Rural Investment Manager.
Applications are invited from suitably qualified candidates for the following listed vacancy:-
Job Title: Programme Engineer – GGEP / WLP
Reporting to: GGEP/WLP, Programme Coordinator
Duty Station: Nairobi, WSTF Offices with frequent travel to the field
Contract Period: Fixed 24 Months
Main purpose of the role
The position will support the implementation of water investments under the Danida funded Green Growth and Employment Project and Water and Livelihoods Programme (WLP) Component implemented in the 8 GGEP Counties.
The main roles will include: review of water and sanitation infrastructural designs in the 8 Counties; supervision and support to the planning, implementation, reporting, monitoring and evaluation of the Programme, in order to meet the planned outputs, outcomes and impacts; ensuring effective County engagement, effective and efficient funds utilization, accurate accountability, timely completion of the projects and realization of value for money.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Participate and support in development of departmental and programme designs, workplan and budgets,
- Provide the required technical expertise in the area of Water, Sanitation and Water Resources Management critical to delivery of the GGEP/WLP objectives,
- Support in the project proposal appraisal, preparation of financing contracts, and preparation of disbursements of funds to projects and activities,
- Monitor the implementation of projects in liaison with all stakeholders including, WSTF, County Government and implementing agencies at County level to ensure compliance to technical, social, cultural sensitivities and financial standards,
- Review of implementing agencies project reports, follow up on issues, providing responses to requests and queries,
- Support in building capacities and sensitizing County technical teams and implementing agencies on Programme contractual obligations,
- Support in preparation of activity budgets, work plans, strategies and reports to WSTF Programme management team and partners as maybe required,
- Support in maintaining GGEP/WLP Programme database for the projects,
- Support in knowledge transfer for the staff of implementing partner organizations,
- Support in preparation and facilitation of missions, field visits, assessments, evaluations, audits, surveys, workshops and meetings.
- Perform any other duties as may be assigned by the GGEP/WLP Programme Coordinator
Qualification & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Water /Civil/Environmental Engineering,
- Member of relevant Engineering professional body,
- At least 8 years’ work experience in developing water and sanitation infrastructure ,
- Experience in designing and implementing water and sanitation infrastructure including sand dams/water pans in ASALs is required,
- Experience working with County Governments an added advantage,
- Experience working in refugees/humanitarian programmes an added advantage.
Skills and Competencies
- WASH Infrastructure designing and supervision skills
- Project Management skills
- Decision making and negotiation skills
- Public relations and networking
- Written and oral Communication skills
- Integrated Water Resources Management
- Analytical and Computer skills.
Application and Recruitment Process
To apply for any of the above positions, send your application (Cover letter, Detailed CV with 2-3 referees to firstname.lastname@example.org not later than Friday, 5th April 2019.
The email subject should be the specific Position Title as stated above.
Any application received after the deadline will not be considered.
Only shortlisted Candidates will be contacted.
The Embassy attaches great importance to equal opportunities for all and therefore welcomes applications from all qualified persons regardless of race, gender, religion, age or disability.
Any form of canvassing will lead to automatic disqualification.