Terre des hommes (Tdh)
Categories: ☒ Collaboration ☐ Advice ☐ Management
Job title: Security Specialist
Location: Nairobi, with 60% travel time
Reports to (Hierarchically): Country Representative
(Functionally): Senior Management Team
Number of subordinates: 0
Position Grade: Short term
Working time in % : 100%
Starting date: 10th April 2019
Length: 2 months.
Context: Terre des hommes (Tdh) launched its activities in Kenya in January 2011. Tdh provides support to children in Dadaab refugee camp and in Korogocho slums. Tdh also implements health and nutrition projects in Garissa County.
Child Safeguarding: The responsibilities of the post requires regular contact with or access to children or young people.
Role Purpose: The Security Specialist will implement systems and practices for ensuring safety and security of Tdh staff in Kenya
Scope of Role:
Reports to: Country Representative
Dimensions: following the Roving Risk Specialist’s visit from HQ, a number of recommendations were made in order to ensure the safety and security of Tdh staff in Kenya. The Security Specialist will be responsible for implementing these measures.
Key Areas of Accountability:
Team set-up and staff training
- Hire/appoint and train security focal points in all project sites
- Establish SOPs and associated tools for security focal points and especially the monthly/weekly movement plans
- Establish SOPs, contacts and build security point skills in context analysis
- Monitor the implementation of SOPs
- Handover security management responsibility to the Nairobi Security Focal Point and mentor her/him
- Train all staff in kidnapping and terrorist attack management and crisis management
- Organise for the training of staff in first aid and fire management
- Establish a system to monitor UNDSS staff training and ensure that all pending training is done
- Establish a system to monitor ICRC online staff training and ensure that all pending training is done
Contingency and security plan
- Review the contingency plan provisions and implement all pending actions
Review the security plan and implement all pending actions
- To create contextualized SOP for each risk identified with a level upper than 8
- Implement hibernation room in Dadaab office and improve security premises (fences for staff compound, better guard management)
- To meet the company security manager to strengthen our compound’s access (control of the visitor’s flow).
Movement tracking and communication
- To establish the SMS tracking system for each base
- Establish the monthly /weekly movement plan
- Review means of communication and communication practices across the delegation, advise on alteration and implement changes.
- Establish an automated system and agree on responsibilities regarding the phone tree and the contact list
- To map every NoGo areas in Garissa County and include it in the Security Plan
Qualifications and Experience
- A minimum of 10 years ‘experience managing security in NGOs and implementing security systems
- A university degree in logistics or safety and security
- An ability to engage dialogue with security forces, local and national government, other organisations
- A track record in training adults
- A track record in enforcing rules and regulations
- Demonstrated writing skills
- A good knowledge of the Kenyan context and especially Garissa
- Existing contacts with security stakeholders
- An ability to work autonomously
- An ability to understand management structures and operational constraints
Abuse Prevention Policy – Operational Risk Management
- Commit to respect Tdh Risk Management Policies including: Child Safeguarding Policy, Safety and Security Policy and Anti-Fraud/Corruption Policy, Code of Conduct, Whistle Blowing Policy
- Commit to ensure the best implementation possible of the Tdh Risk Management Policies
- Commit to inform supervisors and to deal with any cases, allegations, or possibility of transgression, even potential, of the Tdh Risk Management Policies
- Fluency in English and Kiswahili
Only candidates that fit the requirements above are invited to submit a covering letter, CV, references, and copies of academic and professional certificates (if requirements are not met or application is incomplete, the application will not be considered).
The Application should be emailed firstname.lastname@example.org.
Kindly indicate the position on the subject line of the e-mail – only applications which will have complied with this request will be shortlisted.
Kindly note only applications sent to this email address will be considered.
Closing date for the application of this position is 29th March, 2019
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for a written test and oral interview
Tdh’s recruitment and selection procedures reflect our commitment to protect children’s rights, which includes the prevention of all forms of child abuse.
Tdh is an equal opportunity employer.