The African Women’s Development and Communication Network (FEMNET) is pan-African based, membership organisation established in 1988 to amplify African women’s voices and advance women’s and girls’ rights and gender equality.
With the support of EU, we are seeking an exceptional, passionate, dynamic person with the necessary core competencies in the following position:
Compliance / Grants Coordinator
Functionally Reports to: Finance HR and Administration Manager
Overall Purpose of the Job: The Compliance/ Grants Coordinator will work closely with other staff including Regional Project Manager, Financial / Project Accountant and the MEL Coordinator to maintain quality grants coordination, and ensure compliance to policies, procedures and reporting guidelines applicable to EU and other grants.
S/he will handle the contractual obligations with all the third parties and the co-Applicant, and coordinate risk management and systems set up of the entire EU and other actions, including handling documentation.
Main Duties include:
- In consultations with colleagues and consortium members, draft and develop Sub-grants Manual for the EU project.
- Coordinate pre-award audits / due diligence of possible Sub-grantee organisations, in addition to audits during implementation and at close-out, as needed and identified in the Sub-Grants Manual and in coordination with the Finance and Admin. Manager.
- Review Sub-grant applications to ensure they align with the grants manual and the Project’s objectives.
- Prepare Sub-grant agreements; ensure completion of required documentation in line with back-office grant agreement and diligent follow-up on grant reports.
- Update the Sub-Grants Manual per current EU regulations as well as FEMNET policies and handle updates on the manual.
- Coordinate training as may be needed, such as for various potential sub-grantee organisations and internal staff where applicable, with specific attention to all tax, financial and administrative issues and recommend improvements to various systems.
- Monitor financial management of Sub-grant funds to ensure consistency with agreed technical plan and actual implementation, and monitor the projected expenditures against their actual incurrence in line with sub-grant agreements and back-office partner regulations.
- Provide monthly reports on grants budget for project management team.
- Monitor technical implementation of grants to ensure timely progress and according to submitted technical reports, proposed strategy and work plans.
- Work with management in programmatic monitoring and evaluation, and continual quality improvement, and support monitoring of sub-grantees as may be necessary.
- Ensure project financial reports are compiled, aligned with narrative reports and submitted in a timely manner to keep all stake holders informed.
- Monitor program budgets and expenditure and coordinate with other project team members to ensure effective and efficient operations.
- Perform general grant and other financial and accounting duties in compliance with all relevant international accounting, audit and reporting standards.
- Perform all other relevant duties that may be needed to ensure the overall efficient implementation of the EU-project activities, and any other assigned projects.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience
Minimum Tangible Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in business administration, accounting, finance or relevant discipline.
- 5 years’ experience in EU grants design and administration, management and oversight
- Familiarity with wide Contract Management and Grants Management policies and procedures of EU and major donors/ funding partners.
- Qualified Accountant ( CPA-K, ACCA, CMA or equivalent qualifications)
- Master’s Degree in business administration, accounting or finance
- Persons with additional relevant trainings in monitoring and evaluation.
- Experience previously working on EU projects in a Grants Compliance Officer /Manager or similar capacity.
- Must have hands on experience in use of networked common accounting and/or ERP, on-premise or cloud based systems, using QuickBooks, Sun system, SAP Oracle etc.
- Experience developing grant applications and possess the ability to identify and develop risk minimisation strategies to ensure adherence to donor and grant requirements.
- Excellent written and interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively in English, both verbally and in writing
- Strong relationship management skills, with the ability to communicate professionally at all levels, across donors, partners, and management.
- Positive and self-motivated approach, as well as organizational and time management skills to ensure S/he manages conflicting deadlines.
Remuneration: will be in line with the set procedures of the organizations which consider the experience and qualifications of the candidate.
Applications: Interested applicants should send their intent letter (not more than 2 pages responding to each major requirement), accompanied by resume with names and addresses of 3 professional referees (not more than 3 pages including telephone and e-mail)
Applications are by e-mails only, sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please indicate the reference on the subject line as for position you are applying for e.g. Project Accountant – (Ref: PA/05/ 2019)
Deadline for submission of applications is on 26th April, 2019.
Please note: Only complete applications will be reviewed, and only candidates who have been selected for interview will be contacted. The position is open to African citizens who are legible to work in Kenya, young women & women living with disability are encouraged to apply.