The African Women’s Development and Communication Network (FEMNET) is pan-African based, membership organisation established in 1988 to amplify African women’s voices and advance women’s and girls’ rights and gender equality.
With the support of EU, we are seeking an exceptional, passionate, dynamic person with the necessary core competencies in the following position:
Financial / Project Accountant
Functionally Reports to: Finance, HR and Administration Manager
Overall Purpose of the Job
The Financial Project Accountant will support financial and grants management of primarily EU Project, and various projects ran by FEMNET.
The person will ensure that the day-to-day accounting operations and financial management functions of the sub-grantees are performed in accordance with internal policy and procedures.
Will also assist programmes staff in developing and seeking approvals for activity budgets and expenditure; Maintain accurate records of financial transactions in order to monitor financial status and progress of project activities; Ensure all relevant accounting data are updated, reconciled and fully supported; Work closely with the Finance, HR and Admin Manager to review and account for procurement transactions and ensure adequate supporting documentation, accuracy of amounts and control over payment.
Main Duties include:
- Ensure timely processing of project financial and accounting data, confirming such data; in accordance with the laid down procedures and policies, accurate, complete, adequately supported by all underlying appropriate documents, correctly coded to appropriate expenses and project budget lines and donor codes/ class, and preparation of the payment instrument in line with FEMNET
- Finance Policy and Accounts Procedure Manual and other applicable procedures.
- Ensure timely project financial reporting – producing monthly and quarterly actual v budget (variance) analysis and other management information that may be required from time to time,
- Ensure that all Sub-grant payments are processes on schedule, and confirmation / acknowledgement of receipts are received by FEMNET.
- Review field expense reports for accuracy and completeness, forward them for approval by Finance and Administration Manager and prepare relevant respective journals.
- Review the Project ledger in the accounting system ensuring completeness and accuracy and propose correcting entries for the approval of the Finance and Administration Manager.
- Constantly monitor systems to record and reconcile expenditures, balances, payments, statements and other day-to-day financial transactions relating to the project.
- Prepare monthly project bank and cash reconciliations, and forecasts, and forward them for necessary approvals as per FEMNET’s applicable Policies and procedures..
- Extract monthly updated project financial reports for review by the Finance and Administration manager and the Regional Project Manager.
- Assist the Finance & Admin manager in enforcing the Organisation’s internal control systems.
- Assist in the preparation of the project annual budget, financial projections for year-end forecasting.
- Assist in external audit coordination of the project/ fund Accountability statement, including preparation relevant audit schedules or as may be assigned.
investigating variances of project costs
- Ensuring sub-grant financial reports are up to date and in line with project required reporting templates.
- Ensuring transactions processed fully comply with host country- Kenyan laws and regulations
- Support finance and admin. department in its function as procurement focal centre, to drive the implementation of procurement policies and plans, aimed at cost effective acquisition of high quality materials, goods, consultancies and non-consultancy services;
- Assessing risks using sensitivity analysis approach especially using margin of safety for the relevant factors, and scenario building ( for more than one factor)
- Contributing on operational and strategic issues as a member of the Finance and Admin. team
- Undertaking any other duties that might, from time to time, be assigned;
- Ensure expenditure are incurred and reported in line with contractual agreements;
- Provide financial guidance and supervision to staff that might be assigned to work under him/her including interns, with regards to donor reporting etc.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience
Minimum Tangible Qualifications
- A Bachelor’s degree (B.com accounting option or other business, accounting or economics related discipline), from a recognized reputable university.
- A minimum of 4 years’ experience in a similar position at an international or regional Not-for-Profit organisation and deep working knowledge in NGO accounting and reporting.
- Strong IS and IT Skills (including experience in use of MS office packages or related computer applications)
- Qualified Accountant (CPA-K, ACCA, CMA or equivalent qualifications)
- Must have hands on experience in use of networked common accounting and/or ERP, on-premise or cloud based systems, using QuickBooks, Sun system, SAP Oracle etc.
- Ability to read, analyse, and interpret complex financial data.
- Ability to respond effectively to inquiries or complaints.
- Good communication (oral & written) & interpersonal skills;
- Good time management
- Good time management, ability to multi task and perform under pressure
- High sense of confidentiality, initiative and good judgment
- A person of high level of integrity and ethical standards
- Able to observe and enforce internal controls
- Fully understands and applies relevant and irrelevant costs for decision making
- Conversant with Cost Benefit ( CBA) Analysis
Remuneration: will be in line with the set procedures of the organizations which consider the experience and qualifications of the candidate.
Applications: Interested applicants should send their intent letter (not more than 2 pages responding to each major requirement), accompanied by resume with names and addresses of 3 professional referees (not more than 3 pages including telephone and e-mail)
Applications are by e-mails only, sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please indicate the reference on the subject line as for position you are applying for e.g. Project Accountant – (Ref: PA/05/ 2019)
Deadline for submission of applications is on 26th April, 2019.
Please note: Only complete applications will be reviewed, and only candidates who have been selected for interview will be contacted. The position is open to African citizens who are legible to work in Kenya, young women & women living with disability are encouraged to apply.