FSD Africa is growing strongly – in staff numbers, geographic footprint and funds under management.
We are looking to hire two Results Measurement Specialists to join our Nairobi-based team.
You will be working to implement effective measurement, demonstration of performance and adaptive management of FSD Africa’s fast-expanding programme.
Reporting to: Head of Measurement and Results Management (MRM)
Background: Financial Sector Deepening Africa (FSDA) is a non-profit company, funded by the UK’s Department for International Development (DFID) which aims to increase prosperity, create jobs and reduce poverty by bringing about a transformation in financial markets in sub-Saharan Africa (SSA) and in the economies they serve. It provides technical know-how and capital to champions of change whose ideas, influence and actions will make finance more useful to Africans businesses and households. It acts as a “market catalyst”, adopting the “making markets work for the poor (M4P) approach”.
Through access to finance initiatives, it seeks to build financial inclusion. Through capital market development it looks to promote economic growth and increase investment. As a regional programme, it seeks to encourage collaboration, knowledge transfer and market-building activities both within and across borders, and especially in fragile and conflicted-affected states (FCAS). Where there are opportunities to drive financial market transformation more quickly and intensively through capital investment, FSDA will deploy equity, loans or guarantees as the situation requires.
FSDA is located in Nairobi, Kenya. It is part of a network of country-based FSDs operating in Africa (the “FSD Network” – Enterprise Partners (EP) in Ethiopia, FSDK in Kenya, FSDMoc in Mozambique, EFInA in Nigeria, Access to Finance (AFR) in Rwanda, FinMark trust (FMT) in South Africa, FSDT in Tanzania and FSDU in Uganda). It also partners with other national, regional and international organisations working on financial sector development initiatives in SSA.
Please visit www.fsdafrica.org for more information.
The Role: FSDA now seeks to recruit two motivated and ambitious individuals to join the Monitoring and Results Management team which, in close collaboration with other staff, implementing partners, our funder (DFID), and FSDA’s Development Committee , aims for effective measurement, demonstration of performance, and adaptive management of FSDA’s fast-expanding programme.
Specific objectives and activities will include, but will not be limited to:
- Support FSDA’s project due diligence initiatives. This task will involve assessing potential Implementing Partners data management and results measurement capacity, and defining the technical support that FSDA may need to provide to enhance the effectiveness with which project performance is measured. The task will also involve carrying out baseline studies – robustness of which will vary from project to project.
- Work with partners to establish and implement MRM plans. To carry out its work, FSDA engages with many diverse partners. These include training institutions, development organizations, financial service providers and financial sector regulators. There is shared responsibility between FSDA and its partners in measurement of results. The Results Measurement Specialist, in close consultation with relevant FSDA staff, will provide technical support to partners in the development of practical MRM plans that are aligned to FSDA’s procedures. Such plans should facilitate effective and timely reporting, learning, and adaptive management at partner level.
- Manage impact studies including routine outcome monitoring initiatives. FSDA has a wide portfolio of interventions. This means that FSDA, being a learning organisation, has a busy outcome and impact measurement calendar. The Results Measurement Specialist will actively participate in the roll out of impact measurement studies, including outcome monitoring initiatives. This task will sometimes entail managing externally-contracted evaluation experts, ensuring timely delivery of quality evaluation initiatives.
- Support Value for Money (VfM) assessment initiatives. FSDA consciously mainstreams Value for Money considerations in its programming. The MRM unit’s mandate includes measuring the organization’s performance on these, and there are guidelines in place to facilitate the same. The Results Measurement Specialist will contribute to enhanced implementation of these guidelines, and their refinement.
- Facilitate both internal and external learning. Knowledge generated by FSDA’s results measurement initiatives should inform continuous improvements in the design and delivery of financial sector development initiatives. In this regard, the Results Measurement Specialist will actively participate in the dissemination of such knowledge, and support utilisation of the same by FSDA, its implementing partners, and other financial sector development actors. The latter includes regulators and funders.
- Contribute to the review and refinement of FSDA’s MRM approach. FSDA’s MRM approach must be sufficiently versatile to respond to the information needs of its complex financial sector development work. The Results Measurement Specialist will participate in reviewing FSDA’s results measurement approach and contribute to its refinement. Therefore, the Results Measurement Specialist’s job description will continue to evolve to meet emerging needs.
Post-holders will adhere to M4P principles in implementing tasks and will work to promote FSDA’s interests across SSA, enhancing the organisation’s reputation in doing so and demonstrating a strong commitment to making its strategic objectives a reality.
The role presents an exciting opportunity for an individual to contribute to the early stages of an organisation that is expected to deliver significant impact over the coming years and who is keen to learn, create new ideas and test new ways of working. It offers the opportunity to be part of and engage actively with a dynamic FSD Network and with DFID and other development partners that FSDA collaborates closely with.
Applicants should have a strong strategic focus, be results driven, and committed to high standards of performance.
They must be comfortable with working flexibly and taking real responsibility for their decisions.
Location: The role is based in Nairobi, Kenya, with substantial travel within the sub-Saharan Africa region.
Essential professional qualifications
1. Masters degree in Economics, Development Studies, Operations Research, or other relevant field
2. Professional training in Impact Evaluation, Impact Mapping, and/or Impact Harvesting from a recognised institution
3. At least four years’ experience in designing and implementing rigorous quasi-experimental studies in complex development programmes, preferably those with a financial sector development mandate
4. At least three years’ experience in supporting the design and management of results measurement frameworks, and supporting its implementation particularly amongst implementing partners
5. Strong project management skills with ability to manage a diverse portfolio of projects
6. Experience in managing consultants, working with them to deliver assignments on a timely basis while not compromising quality
7. Good understanding of the financial sector in sub Saharan Africa
8. Excellent communication skills (in English), including an ability to write, compile presentations and speak confidently in public
9. Ability to conceptualise, analyse and present ideas convincingly
Desirable professional qualifications
1. Knowledge/experience in measuring investment performance
2. Experience of working with multi-national teams
3. Proficiency in French
Essential personal attributes
1. Demonstrated empathy with FSD Africa’s mandate to reduce poverty
2. Ability to manage multiple tasks, being flexible to respond to emerging demands
3. A peoples’ person, and a team-player
4. Methodical, meticulous and analytical
5. “Out-of-the box” thinker
- Goal-focused – A “finisher”
- Low ego
- Reliable, with strong adherence to deadlines and high-quality performance
FSD Africa is an equal opportunity employer.
You can submit your application online at www.adeptsystems.co.ke. This will require you to create a profile and in addition attach your detailed CV and cover letter demonstrating how you meet our requirements, indicating your current and expected remuneration.
Applications must be received by close of business 24 April 2019.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.