Jaffery Academy, Mombasa (JAM)
Full Time Position with Benefits
Head of Academy
Jaffery Academy, Mombasa (JAM) is a welcoming friendly school with a vibrant learning space incorporating the latest technology to engage and inspire students. The school provides high quality education from the ages of 3 to 18 and follows the UK Curriculum (IGCSE, AS & A Levels).
JAM is seeking to appoint an innovative and inspirational Head of Academy who will be required to work in a fast paced environment with proven and effective leadership and management skills. Evidence of a strategic approach and philosophy to raising the status of a school and its academic, pastoral, sporting and co-curricular standards is required. Flexibility and an understanding of issues facing schools in developing countries plus resilience and a sense of humour will be key characteristics.
The successful candidate will have international school experience and a strong track-record in enhancing development in these areas. He/She will lead the Senior Leadership Team and be accountable to the School Board of Governance.
Responsibilities and Professional Qualifications
Key Functions and Responsibilities
1. Maintain and develop further the school’s high academic standards.
2. Promote and strengthen the school’s reputation locally and internationally.
3. Serve as a professional consultant to the Board of Governance (BOG) on current educational practices and trends.
4. Advise the BOG on the educational needs of the school.
5. Oversee the ongoing review and development of the school’s educational program.
6. Develop academic rubrics to evaluate the school’s (Teachers and Students) performance against standards; develop corrective action plans to address areas where performance does not meet the standards.
7. Remain professionally updated on the current requirements of modern curricula as offered by the school.
8. Lead in the construction and management of the School Strategic Development Plan.
1. Develop staffing plans that support and build the school’s academic programs.
2. Work with the faculty and the School Business Manager (SBM) to recruit, hire and terminate (as necessary) faculty staff.
3. Work with the faculty and the SBM to develop performance contracts and conduct timely performance appraisals; work with personnel to develop corrective action plans when performance does not meet standards.
4. Work with the BOG to establish his/her own performance contract and participate in the performance appraisal as specified by the BOG (i.e., self-appraisal, improvement plan).
5. Pro-actively support advanced professional study/development for all staff.
1. Promote good communication with the staff, students and the extended school community to create a positive and an all-inclusive school environment.
2. Key spokesperson for the academic philosophy, standards and programs of JAM.
Business Management and Development:
1. Identify and continually seek growth opportunities for enrollment.
2. Develop and maintain an on-going facility usage/development plan that supports and enhances the academic program.
3. Ensure a workable and efficient system is in place to operate all school affairs.
4. Assure proper supervision of all student activities.
5. Provide a safe and secure environment for all students, teachers and staff.
1. Oversee the development of the annual budget jointly with SBM and Chief Accountant for Board approval.
2. Ensure that sound financial practices, and efficient and effective allocation of resources are applied in every aspect of school expenditure.
1. Ensure that school policies are effectively monitored and enforced.
2. Identify areas where new policies are required or existing policies need revision, and develop such policies for the BOG’s approval.
Required Qualifications / Experience:
1. Proven track record of success as a Director of Academics.
2. Prior experience of working in an International (IB / Cambridge / Edexcel) curriculum-based school.
3. Graduate degree (Bachelors or equivalent) in Education or Educational Leadership / Management.
4. Post Graduate degree (Masters/PhD or equivalent) in Education or Educational Leadership/ Management or any other related field with equivalent relevant professional experience.
5. National Professional Qualification for Headship, or international equivalent.
6. Registered with Teachers Service Commission.
Preferred Qualifications / Experience:
1. Strong communication skills, including public speaking, and written communication within and outside the school community.
2. Ability to form effective relationships with all stakeholder groups.
3. Experience of working in a developing and challenging environment.
4. Prior experience leading a school with 3-18 years education programs.
5. Financial acumen and budgeting experience (an advantage).
6. Experience working collaboratively with School Board.
7. Teaching experience of more than ten years.
8. Knowledge of or experience with the 21 Century Curriculum.
9. Evidence of ability to recruit, develop and build a purposeful faculty.
10. Experience with school building projects and the opening a new facility.
Desired Personal Characteristics:
1. Is a strong, self-confident leader who will lead by example through all levels of the organization, and can enforce accountability and apply rules fairly and consistently.
2. Is a strong decision-maker who is able to balance competing interests, resist influence and pressures which compromise the school’s core principles and educational standards.
3. Has an approachable interpersonal style and will be a visible presence on campus and in the community.
4. Has an open and straight-forward communication style.
5. Is passionate about students and has the interest of the students at heart.
6. Is enthusiastic, positive, energetic and optimistic.
7. Has high integrity and strong ethical values.
- An attractive salary based on the skills and experience of the successful candidate, by negotiation with the School Board.
- Medical cover.
- Pension Scheme.
- Free Child education at the Academy.
Details of contract:
A 2 – year renewal performance contract which commences on 1st August 2019 (or by negotiation with the successful candidate).
If you are qualified and motivated to work in a school with an international curriculum, we would like to hear from you.
Kindly submit your application accompanied by a detailed CV and relevant documents to:
not later than 10th May 2019