About National Bank
The National Bank of Kenya is one of the largest Banks in the country offering financial services to all sectors of the economy. It is a major player in Kenya’s Banking industry with over 1,400 staff and a growing network of 80 Branch outlets across the country, 130 ATMs, electronic channels of Mobile and Internet Banking. National Bank also operates two subsidiary Companies; NatBank Trustee & Investment Services Limited and National Bank Insurance Agency Ltd.
Why Work with Us
At National Bank of Kenya, you will find an employee and customer-centric culture built around Courage, Honest, Innovation and Collaboration. When you join our team, you are part of a supportive and collaborative workforce, with access to learning and development opportunities and tools to accelerate your potential and maximize your career growth.
To help support the Bank’s digital strategy, accelerate business growth and enhance customer experience, we are seeking to recruit a self-motivated, strategic, data driven and an innovative individual with exceptional leadership skills to fill the position of Manager Innovation.
Position Title: Manager Innovation
(Job Ref No. HR/017/2019)
Position Scope: The role holder will be responsible for promoting a culture of Innovation. He/she will be required to interpret business strategy, influence business by determining innovative solutions, leverage best practice, incorporate new ideas and assimilating with proven processes to drive the innovation agenda. In addition, he/she will be required to provide leadership and management of new initiatives from conception through Incubation to market delivery.
- Champion an Innovation Culture in the Bank
- Develop and maintain a channel and guideline for Ideas collection, analysis and feedback from staff in the Bank and other key stake holders such as customers to entrench the culture of Innovation.
- Develop and manage the implementation of the relevant policies and procedures within the Innovation unit.
- Maintain an understanding of external competitive developments and their impact on our business and innovation strategy
- Identify and manage Innovation events (Innovation Summit, Hackathons, Design Thinking training, other Innovation forums) with the aim of adding Innovation value within the bank
- Manage the Innovation team and ensure staff capacity is maintained at optimal levels.
- Management of performance for team members with focus on staff development and retention
- Manage the Innovation process to ensure coordination and process alignment.
- Formulate a framework for reward and recognition for Ideas implemented to boost value adding idea generation.
- Work with the Senior Manager Digital Banking and Innovation to build and exploit strategic alliances and business partnerships to capture business opportunities for the Bank to drive financial inclusion and grow the market share.
- Proactive review of customer’s feedback on the products and services developed and follow up for improvements or scalability.
- Identify coaching needs and execute staff development recommendations
- Guide the incubation and pilot phase of new innovations and advise on optimum levels for transfer to business.
- Monitor performance of implemented innovative ideas and present performance reports to Executive Management
- Cost management for the department while maintaining operations within the approved budget
Skills & Experience:
- University Degree in Business Administration, Economics, Finance, Banking, Engineering or its equivalent from a recognized institution.
- Master’s degree in a relevant field from a recognized institution will be an added advantage.
- Relevant certification in design thinking or its equivalent.
- Certification in Innovation or Research
- Five (5) years’ experience in the Financial or Telecommunication sector, three (3) of which should be in a management and Innovation role.
- Excellent research, analytical, and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to think creatively and develop innovative solutions.
- Integrity and courage to challenge the actions within various business units and the status quo.
- Strong persuasion, management and communication skills: must be able to provide clear direction and feedback to team; must be able to establish realistic objectives, know how to measure for them and set/correct course as needed.
- Strong organizational skills
- High energy, can-do attitude, strong desire to succeed.
- Excellent stakeholder management skills
- Creative approach, with the ability to anticipate challenges and develop innovative solutions;
- Intellectual curiosity
- Understanding of organizational development, characteristics of innovation and organizational change processes, and knowledge of common organizational barriers to change.
- Superior levels of judgment to assess the impact of innovation related activities on business performance
- Visionary and strategic thinker
- Entrepreneurial and Commercial thinking
- Strong Marketing and Communications skills
- Strong Project Management skills
If you believe you can clearly demonstrate your ability to meet the criteria for this role, please submit your application including copies of your academic and professional certificates, testimonials and your curriculum vitae, including among other details your current position, current remuneration, email and telephone contacts of three (3) referees familiar with your qualifications and work experience.
For full details about this position and how to apply, kindly log onto the e-recruitment platform via:
Email or hard copy applications will not be accepted.
Only those applications submitted through the e-recruitment portal will be considered.
To be considered, submit your application by 17th April 2019.
National Bank of Kenya is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Canvassing will lead to automatic disqualification.