Peace Brigades International (PBI) – Kenya Project
Vacant Position: UMKU Project Officer
Location: Nairobi, Kenya
Hours: Full time
Remuneration: Competitive NGO salary
Contract: Fixed Term staff (12 months)
1. Main purpose of the role
UMKU (Ushirikiano Mwema kwa Usalama – Good relationships for safety) is an EU funded 2-year project which is being implemented by PBI Kenya together in a consortium with 1 other international and 2 grassroots organisations.
The implementation started in April 2018. The objective of the project is that ccivil society as well as state actors collaborate to stop Extra Judicial Killings (EJK) and other Human Rights (HR) violations. Main areas of implementation are Mathare, Kamukunji and Embakasi North constituencies.
The main role of the PBI-Kenya -UMKU Project Officer will be to coordinate and implement the PBI-Kenya part of the UMKU project.
2. Position in the organisation
Directly reporting to the Country Director of PBI-Kenya, this position will be responsible for the day-to-day planning, implementation and reporting of the PBI –Kenya part of the UMKU Project, as well as coordination with the other UMKU consortium members.
3. Organisation overview
Peace Brigades International (PBI) is a non-governmental organisation, which protects human rights and promotes nonviolent conflict transformation. We provide protection, capacity development and other support for threatened organisations, defenders and communities pursuing social justice and defence of human rights in areas of violent conflict.
Our current field projects are in Colombia, Guatemala, Honduras, Kenya, Indonesia, Mexico and Nepal. PBI project work is supported by a network of 13 country groups in Europe, North America and Australia, who carry out volunteer recruitment, advocacy and fundraising, and by the international coordinating office.
PBI uses a non-hierarchical model of organising and decisions are made by consensus. Since 2018, PBI–Kenya is registered under section 10 of the Non-Governmental Organizations Co-ordination Act in Kenya, with full legal powers as local employer organization, to contract staff and to work as a Human Rights organization.
4. Main duties, tasks and responsibilities
- Coordinate the planning and implementation of PBI-Kenya part of UMKU Project.
- Ensure that activities of the PBI Kenya part of the Umku project are carried out, timeline is kept and the work plan is adhered to.
- Ensure regular engagement, reporting and coordination with consortium partners.
- Represent PBI in meetings with (I)NGOs, relevant working groups and with state authorities, including the police.
- Organize and co-facilitate thematic workshops with HRDs and strategic partners.
- Responsible for reporting on activities for UMKU consortium but also to /for PBI /-Kenya.
- Responsible for budgeting and accounting of Project activities / expenditures in coordination with PBI Kenya Finance Officer
- Support PBI-Kenya in its Program planning, evaluation and reporting where necessary also outside of UMKU Project.
- Actively participate and represent the UMKU project in different PBI/PBI- Kenya internal meetings, Board meetings and also Annual General Meetings.
5. Essential Qualifications / Person Specification
- At least three years’ work experience with international NGOs / Human Rights Organisations.
- Knowledge and experience in working with PBI would be of advantage.
- Thorough understanding of the Kenyan political and social context with regard to Human Rights
- Thorough understanding of police structure and relevant institutions tasked with police oversight and accountability
- Demonstrable experience in project management roles and in advocacy
- Experience working with W/HRD-Grassroots organisations.
- Effective interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to function in highly stressful and/or threatening situations.
- Ability to work in multi-cultural teams, cross-cultural environments.
- Willingness to work outside normal hours (evenings, weekends). Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English and Kiswahili.
- Excellent teamwork in a diverse program and ability to work independently and under pressure.
- Good time management/ multitasking skills
The position would suit an individual who is proactive, detail-oriented, shows initiative, and enjoys working with a small international team. Experience in the non-profit sector and with financial reporting to governments is desirable.
To apply, please send motivation letter and CV to Nicola Busse with subject UMKU Project officer under following Email: PBIKenyaemail@example.com
You should indicate, point by point, how you meet the requirements set out in the person specification.
Please add names of three referees, including their current contact details
We regret that only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
Deadline: 05th May 2019
This position is based in Nairobi, Kenya.
Before appointment the successful candidate must provide proof of eligibility to work in Kenya.