RefugePoint was founded in 2005 to provide lasting solutions for the world’s most vulnerable refugees.
We work to fill the critical and unmet needs of people affected by war and conflict that have fallen through the net of humanitarian assistance, in particular women, children and urban refugees.
Job Title: Interpreter
Daily Stipend: KES 1,200
Report to: Senior Officer, Resettlement
Job Overview: The primary responsibility of the Interpreter is to provide, on as needed basis, operational support to the Resettlement Unit by providing language support services for clients undergoing case processing in the Urban Refugee Program.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Serve as communication liaison between RefugePoint staff and clients to ensure a client-centred approach in service delivery;
- Act as an interpreter for clients for any assignments in the Resettlement Unit, including inter alia, intake assessments, resettlement counseling services and post-processing follow up interviews with RefugePoint;
- Translate documents from target refugee languages to the English language;
- Support RefugePoint staff by relaying accurate information including deadlines, instructions, questions, and other communication to clients in their native language in addition to helping clients communicate their concerns and questions to RefugePoint staff;
- Aid RefugePoint staff in understanding varied refugee cultural contexts;
- Participate and support community outreach/ home visits as and when required;
- Attend regular training so as to maintain and contribute to a culture of professionalism within the department and organization as a whole;
- Perform other relevant duties as assigned.
- Must be fluent in English and one or more native refugee languages;
- 2-3 years recent work experience as an interpreter with a refugee NGO or Embassy;
- Must hold a UNHCR mandate refugee certificate and/or Government alien card;
- Must have a minimum of secondary school education;
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Education in linguistics or related field and/or evidence of training in interpretation techniques is a plus;
- Prior experience providing interpretive services is strongly desired;
Qualified female candidates are encouraged to apply.
- Standard office work environment within official working hours (varied number of hours on the basis of caseload).
How to Apply
CLICK HERE to apply online
Closing Date: Short-listing will be on a rolling basis and only short-listed candidates will be contacted.