Vacant Position: Environmental Specialist
RTI International is an independent organization dedicated to conducting innovative, multidisciplinary research that improves the human condition. With a worldwide staff of more than 4,000 people, RTI offers innovative research and development and a full spectrum of multidisciplinary services. Universities in North Carolina founded RTI in 1958 as a centerpiece of the Research Triangle Park.
RTI is currently seeking to fill a vacancy for the Kenya Crops & Dairy Market Systems (KCDMS) Activity which is part of the Feed the Future program, America’s initiative to combat global hunger and poverty.
In this regard, USAID is partnering with RTI International on a 5- year cooperative agreement – KCDMS Activity – to help increase agricultural production and reduce poverty and malnutrition in Kenya. The project will also spur competitive, resilient market systems in Kenya’s horticulture and dairy sectors.
We seek to recruit an Environmental Specialist to be based in the Nairobi office.
We are currently seeking applications for the following position:
Environmental Specialist – Nairobi based
The Environmental Specialist will report directly to the Deputy Chief of Party / Technical Director and is responsible for providing technical support to project sub offices and stakeholders on
environmentally sustainable agricultural systems, best practices, conservation farming, water harvesting, climate change effects, and compliance with environmental impact mitigation measures.
In addition, s/he is expected to contribute fully to the overall objectives of the KCDMS Activity, conducting him/herself in a proper manner at all times as a senior representative of the program.
- Advise on environmental risks, costs and legislative compliance associated with KCDMS activities.
- Monitor and report on application of environmental impact mitigation measures as outlined in the KCDMS approved monitoring plan.
- Develop extension/training modules for safe and effective use of pesticides, fertilizers, etc. based on national and international standards and regulations, and KCDMS approved PERSUAP.
- Provide technical direction for drought mitigation practices and lead and or support the technical activities for weather forecasting, crop insurance, water harvesting and other environmentally sound practices and technologies that apply to the field.
- Visit field sites and project grantees to determine whether the proposed activity encompasses the potential for environmental pollution or damage and, if so, to determine the scope and extent of the additional evaluation, mitigation, and monitoring necessary to fulfill environmental requirements.
- For environmental concerns, and as necessary, plan and participates in evaluations, selected research activities, and baselines surveys by providing the necessary program and organizational support; and in knowledge capture events that include staff and partner exchanges, and all staff meetings.
- Monitor closely the performance of environmental activities and document all changes (both qualitatively and quantitatively) in line with the program’s M&E framework and guidelines for
tracking the transformation process and ensures that all such data and information is shared within the program. Assists the M&E Officers to feed data into the MIS system.
- Actively engage in collaborating with program stakeholders as they relate to the environment program, including trade associations, NGOs, government agencies, universities, research
agencies, value chain actors, other donor programs, and strategic partners.
- A university degree (BSc) in Agribusiness or Environmental Science with 8 years’ experience in a relevant role, or a Master of Science in Environmental Science/Natural Resource or Agriculture
- 5 years’ experience in a relevant role
- Strong knowledge in environmental issues
- Background in horticulture and/or dairy is an added advantage
- Conversant with Government of Kenya Policies pertaining to the environment (e.g. Seed Law)
- Must be well informed on pesticide use and applications
- Strong knowledge of PERSUAP is a plus
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
To apply, please email your cover letter and CV to email@example.com by 29 April 2019.
Applicants must include the, POSITION title in the subject line of the email.
In addition, applicants should indicate their current and expected remuneration on the cover letter of their application. Please do not attach copies of certificates. We regret that only shortlisted applicants will be contacted. Please note that RTI International does not use agents or require any form of payment in the recruitment process.
“No applicant will ever be asked for any payment either to secure a role with RTI International or as a follow-up to having been awarded a position with RTI International. If anyone ever approaches you asking for any such payment, please immediately email firstname.lastname@example.org’’
We are proud to be an EEO/AA employer M/F/D/V
Environment and Natural Resources
|Company / Organization||
|Job Opening Date||
|Job Expiry Date||
Vacant Position: Environmental Specialist
RTI International is an independent organization dedicated to conducting innovative, multidisciplinary research that improves the human condition. With a worldwide staff of more than 4,000 people, RTI offers innovative research and development and a full spectrum of multidisciplinary services. Universities in North Carolina founded RTI in 1958 as a centerpiece of the Research Triangle Park.www.jobsinkenya.co.ke for more job details and application process.